Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

• RMweb Gold

Another one billed as a poor runner at low speed bought for a reasonable price. The layer of dried-on gunge/lubricant mixture on the commutator and gears wasn't helping matters. Five minutes with stiff brush, cleaner and cotton buds, new lubricant followed by a short running in session and now it runs beautifully. 

Another one billed as a poor runner at low speed bought for a reasonable price. The layer of dried-on gunge/lubricant mixture on the commutator and gears wasn't helping matters. Five minutes with stiff brush, cleaner and cotton buds, new lubricant followed by a short running in session and now it runs beautifully.

I guess most locos listed as a poor runner or not working, just need a quick clean and or the odd wire pushing or soldering in place. However I guess there are some like the old Mainline and Airfix locos where the chassis are not too robust

• RMweb Gold

Not everyone's cup of tea, of course - but a bargain all the same.

A brand new, factory-sealed On30 4-6-0 similar to this one - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spectrum-On30-Scale-Train-Steam-4-6-0-Ten-Wheeler-DCC-Equipped-ET-WNC-28671-/360672608495?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item53f9c340ef - but equipped with Tsunami sound. As with most Spectrum On30 locos, there is a choice of chimneys, and the tender offers oil, wood or coal loads. How much? £141 including postage - from Texas. In fact the loco was £103.50 BIN.

I know in the UK this would have sat around a bit until HM Customs assessed an import tax. Not for the first time here in France - no such tax imposed, and the loco arrived 9 days after posting from the US.

Pleased!

I've been on Ebay this weekend, and I think I've got a bit of a bargin. A Lima 156 for £30.00 with postage.  :boast:

Of course if it either doesn't turn up, or is damaged then I'll post this to Ebay Madness!!!

:no:

Yet another box of unused Romford wheels. Some of the drivers are the earlier type and need the crank pin holes drilled and tapped, others are the latter type. Still for £22.75 inc postage., I got a nice box with dividers, 6x 15mm insulated wheels and 6 mazac 15 mm wheels an 18 mm insulated some mazac 18 & 20mm, 6 23mm insulated 3 x 24mm insulated and 1 insulated and 3 plain 26mm wheels. 36 wheels of various sizes (12 to 16mm). 8 Romford axles, 3 Romford gear sets. A pain of  K's slide bars (I do need a set. 3 very nice decent brake standards, lastly nuts bolts and washers.

I think the box is brand new, and I think I will merge all my Romford drivers into it, as they are in 2 other plastic boxes will come in handy as I have lots of loose bogie, pony, tender, wagon and coach wheels. the other will keep axles, washers crank pins etc.

Also picked up a Wills Schools body and tender for just over a tenner, needs a chassis which is fine plus a few missing parts which hopefully Dave at SEF will supply.

Also got some track building parts in 4 lots from a chap in France, I think the postage put most off, but I had asked if he would reduce the postage for multiple purchases. As I had bought a white metal loco with £10 postage, I thought I would be on safe ground. In the end he only charged me the £10 (from £30) so really all the parts were post free as I was committed to the £10 on the loco anyway. This not only proves there are still bargains to be had but also really nice sellers as well.

All this stock. Only £5 or £7 each for the vans/wagons & £22 for the 47:

2012_06_20_1084-1.JPG

After failing repeatedly to get a FGW Class 166 as I won't pay £150 for a train, let alone a second hand one was very pleased with this for £70:

2012_04_23_0516.JPG

Sometimes I love ebay!

Edited by C&WR
  • Like 2

Also this little chap, another sub-£30 win:

2012_02_24_0152.JPG

Very pleased with this, although I got stuck in a bidding war for the centre carriage which cost more than the set of powered and unpowered ends:

2012_03_19_0271%2520-%2520Copy.JPG

The van in that picture is another ebay number, again about £7.

Edited by C&WR
  • Like 1

The APT arrived today, and quite interesting it was too. The reason it did not run is that it had a badly wired decoder fitted inside, as well as extra weight! removed that, put the wiring back to normal, a little oil and it runs like a dream.  I already have the plain front version of the APT. I was a little torn, I prefer the black windows and it is the slightly rarer version, but as my layout is more seventies than eighties the plain front is more appropriate. Closer inspection showed that it was in fact a plain yellow front to which someone had painted on the black windows, reasonably well in fact! So in that case I will cut it up and keep the plain yellow.

As for the decoder, turns out that its an old Hornby Zero 1. Worth about £6 on a good day on ebay. Still, very pleased overall!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

had a couple of good buy it now's tonight.....

first up a maplin 12-15v 7A regulated DC power supply which im going to use to power the accessory decoders, lights etc on the layout for £10

and then about 10 mins ago, again a buy it now, a Bachmann NSE class 166 boxed for £30! a possible candidate for a chiltern respray after i sold my 2 car respray a few weeks back

Have just picked up a rather lovely looking Lima 08 Shunter for £25, including postage, on a BIN deal.  It looks really rather lovely, with some well-applied weathering & buffer-beam detail.

Only sad side is that the layout is now full of locomotives & stock for GWR, BR Blue & current eras, whichever I decide to run on the day.  I was going to ask for the 08 as a Christmas present, but when an item I want can be had now for that amount rather than three to four times that I'd be mad not to strike while the iron's hot!

It's not a railway item, but I've managed to pick up a Dark Angel Chaplain Seraphicus for £8! :)

And ona  railway note, managed to grab a Pullman coach for a conversion project for a quite reasonable sum of 99p and a DCC ready N" in BR Black (a la the Olympic trainset) for £40. Not too shabby at all

With the demise of the model railway shop providing you can find what you want then a 2/3rds reduction is well worth while, and don't forget you can sell the items you don't want.

OK I can hear the cries that we should support the firms still trading, but most of the best buys are models which are discontinued and could not be supplied from these companies.

• 2 weeks later...
LNER Passenger Trains & Formations 1923-67 By S Banks,C Carter

Steve Banks book RRP £45 is available for £18 from two sellers.

It has been hanging around the £28 mark for a few weeks (still good value at that), grab them while you can!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LNER-Passenger-Trains-Formations-1923-67-C-Carter-S-Banks-Mint-/151072581615?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item232ca0a7ef

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LNER-Passenger-Trains-Formations-1923-67-By-S-Banks-C-Carter-/310708446763?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item4857aaa62b

I guess that IA has printed far too many and they are being 'dumped' on the trade. It really is a good book!

Tony

Weighing in at £46, the old Jidenco kit for the LMS "Crab", which turned out to contain not only all the frets and bits for the "Crab", but also a complete set of parts for a Stanier Mogul.

Selling off the unwanted Romford wheels in the box for £23 means the two loco kits effectively cost £11.50 each. A bit of a surprise, like scoring a goal from the halfway line, having lobbed the opposing 'keeper....

Weighing in at £46, the old Jidenco kit for the LMS "Crab", which turned out to contain not only all the frets and bits for the "Crab", but also a complete set of parts for a Stanier Mogul.

Selling off the unwanted Romford wheels in the box for £23 means the two loco kits effectively cost £11.50 each. A bit of a surprise, like scoring a goal from the halfway line, having lobbed the opposing 'keeper....

Good luck with building them, I built a Southern 700 class (with a struggle) and sold off 2 others (did very well selling them) as I could not face building another. They are better than what's described as a scratch building aid, but are a challenge.

As for selling the wheels for £23, what would the seller have got by not only selling each item separately but also giving a detailed description !!

Great bit of buying

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck with building them, I built a Southern 700 class (with a struggle) and sold off 2 others (did very well selling them) as I could not face building another. They are better than what's described as a scratch building aid, but are a challenge.....

I didn't actually know there was a second kit in the contents of the box. I went after the Falcon "Crab" for some of its etches to help correct corresponding parts on an Alan Gibson "Crab" kit which were wrong (e.g. a front footplate which was so long that it formed a diving board over the buffers).

The Stanier Mogul will of course be kept; eventually it will become 42968. The only thing missing from it, as far as I can see, are the instructions....!

I didn't actually know there was a second kit in the contents of the box. I went after the Falcon "Crab" for some of its etches to help correct corresponding parts on an Alan Gibson "Crab" kit which were wrong (e.g. a front footplate which was so long that it formed a diving board over the buffers).

The Stanier Mogul will of course be kept; eventually it will become 42968. The only thing missing from it, as far as I can see, are the instructions....!

Should have said good luck with the Mogul then, good luck