Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Fictitious liveries - models, not Photoshopped!

JDW

• RMweb Premium

How about a pre-grouping might have been but never was livery. This is LMWR no.256 in post WW1 goods livery.

post-6821-0-47234300-1392395417_thumb.jpg

EDIT :  I've now started a workbench topic about this, and other conversions.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82968-niles-bodging-bench/

Edited by Nile
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

LMWR = London & Mid Western Railway , a line proposed a few times around 1860 to provide a standard gauge link from the West Midland Railway at Oxford to West London. After piece broke out between the WMR and GWR the plan disappeared into history. Not so in my imagination.

The model is a modified Bachmann C class.

This is an example of freelancing, which seems quite rare in British standard gauge modelling.

• Like 1

If I may introduce you to this thread.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/38982-another-Bachmann-junior-loco/

Its fascinating how a simple thing like a livery change can throw up so much possibility. I've always wondered how St classes would take to BR blue with black smokeboxes. What other changes did you make?

• RMweb Premium

I do plan to start my own thread in that section sometime, when I get around to it. It's not the only loco I've been messing around with. The new LYR tank loco is a very useful model.

• RMweb Gold

I suppose my current 'fleet' project comes under this category (Described in my blog) - NWR*

This was the first one -the Green 5 (Based on a livery a member of the class wore in preservation, itself based on the green worn by the Jubilees I believe)

009_zps36a8c3b6.jpg

ScreenShot2013-12-06at005656_zps9eb98781

There's also currently a blue LBSCR E2 and LNER A1/3 hybrid in the works.

* Yes, it is Thomas & Pals, please don't shoot!

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 4

I've got a photo of it in a book some where I'll try and find it but yes it looked quite vulga

Edit to add information

Found it on Google 

'Fowler Locomotives' by Brian Haresnape or going back in the RMWEB archive;-

http://rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15616&start=25

pic of my conversion of a Hornby Compound.

I suppose my current 'fleet' project comes under this category (Described in my blog) - NWR*

This was the first one -the Green 5 (Based on a livery a member of the class wore in preservation, itself based on the green worn by the Jubilees I believe)

009_zps36a8c3b6.jpg

ScreenShot2013-12-06at005656_zps9eb98781

There's also currently a blue LBSCR E2 and LNER A1/3 hybrid in the works.

* Yes, it is Thomas & Pals, please don't shoot!

3 black fives were painted green by BR in experimental liveries.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I first did this over a year ago (doesn't time fly), more recently I swapped the splashers around to make it less C like.

In addition to your list, I also removed the rear steps from the tender, moved the tender brake shoes inwards, and converted it to left hand drive.

• RMweb Gold

I first did this over a year ago (doesn't time fly), more recently I swapped the splashers around to make it less C like. In addition to your list, I also removed the rear steps from the tender, moved the tender brake shoes inwards, and converted it to left hand drive.

Slightly off topic but please would you be able to tell me how you removed the splashers?

• RMweb Premium

With a bit of gentle persuasion. Like many detail parts on Bachmann models, they are held on with a small amount of superglue (or its industrial equivalent). Remove the chassis, and then the boiler+cab assembly. You should be able to prize the splashers off with your fingers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my home brew loco livery, on my imaginary loco, I fussed for ages on how much yellow to add to the olive green to make it a brighter shade but the photo has come out a bit faded, I must have pressed some button and have changed some setting on the digital camera. The loco is a re-boilering of a tender drive Airfix 4F. The footplate was also shortened and the tender sides cut down. I've recently upgraded the drive unit to metal wheels.

post-6220-0-61680200-1394479269_thumb.jpg

post-6220-0-88970300-1394479290_thumb.jpg

Edited by relaxinghobby
  • Like 11

• 1 month later...

How about liveries that could have been but never were ? One day, I'll produce a Bachmann SECR  mogul in Maryport & Carlisle colours to run on my 'Mealsgate' layout as the M&CR considered buying one of the surplus engines c.1920-21 but presumably though better of the idea. Actually, I think I'll probably emulate the M&CR in this regard...

Edited by CKPR

I've got a photo of it in a book some where I'll try and find it but yes it looked quite vulga

Edit to add information

Found it on Google 

I recall a photograph in the Railway Modeller c.1968-69 of a GWR Castle or King in a temporary pseudo-psychedelic livery with the caption saying that this had been done for a film. A one-off livery, a GWR engine, the end of steam, the 1960s - how come there isn't a groovy  'limited edition' (of 5000)  model ?!  And think what the DCC sound card would be like... 

Here's my home brew loco livery, on my imaginary loco, I fussed for ages on how much yellow to add to the olive green to make it a brighter shade but the photo has come out a bit faded, I must have pressed some button and have changed some setting on the digital camera. The loco is a re-boilering of a tender drive Airfix 4F. The footplate was also shortened and the tender sides cut down. I've recently upgraded the drive unit to metal wheels.

attachicon.gifp3100413.jpg

attachicon.gifp3100411.jpg

I like that, you couldnt give us more of a brake down on how you did it could you maybe in a new thread, any more photo's as well?

• 1 month later...

Haven't seen any yet but a 70 in BR blue with custard ... sorry: yellow ... ends and arrows of indecision could look quite appropriate for the shape. Railfreight red-stripe grey would also suit them, I think. 

The only trouble is a Bachmann class 70 is just a tad too expensive to mess around with liveries, to my mind. Some of our more well off members might be able to afford to do one though. Any takers? :)

Edited by SRman