Modelling Inspirations 5 now out

Andy Y

MI5 is on general release today and is presented via a new page/site at http://www.modelling...irations.co.uk/

Clicking on the image for an issue opens the magreader software, this does have some bugs with zoom and loading and is not compatable with ipads/iphones so there is also a text link to the pdf file just beneath it.

What's in it this month?

whatsinMI5.jpg

Well impressed with Apethorne Junction, enough to make me buy the October BRM to see the full article. I lived on Apethorne Lane, Gee Cross, during the war until 1947 but have barely been back since. It'll be interesting to discover where exactly the model of Apethorne is located in relation to this lane.

Absolutely brilliant Andy, I like Crossfields layout the photography is just fantastic l the line of Class 24/25's is so realistic and brings back found memories of the real railway in the 1970's.

I am now fully convinced that on-line magazines is the way forward with MI setting a very high quality standard

Well done to all involved.

Nigel

Andy,

Are Overseas Models not being considered at the moment for inclusion? It seems a shame if British modellers of non-British prototypes are excluded permanently.

I can understand the reluctance but maybe one issue per year?

Best, Pete.

Andy,

Are Overseas Models not being considered at the moment for inclusion? It seems a shame if British modellers of non-British prototypes are excluded permanently.

I can understand the reluctance but maybe one issue per year?

Best, Pete.

I'm sure I've mentioned it before but they're certainly not excluded and I'd positively like to feature them but the lack (to date) is solely because of availability or accessibilty to the right quality of material. You may have spotted on the index page of MI5 that there is a small slice of France which I am taking the liberty of sliding into the next print version of MI within BRM; well it's a British railway modeller! :) I also have some other content when I've finished tidying up the images around the knitting. Nothing North American yet but I have got one I'd love to feature.

• RMweb Gold

Haven't ploughed through yet - but did light upon Eric Gates's build of John Chester Craven's #166 for the South London Line. A very interesting read, but Eric's fine model may be a bit too perfect. Hamilton Ellis's report of this loco, and its twin #167, is that the dome casings "suggested those of a substantial treacle pudding just turned out of a basin". The lack of photos has a lot to answer for!

Haven't ploughed through yet - but did light upon Eric Gates's build of John Chester Craven's #166 for the South London Line. A very interesting read, but Eric's fine model may be a bit too perfect. Hamilton Ellis's report of this loco, and its twin #167, is that the dome casings "suggested those of a substantial treacle pudding just turned out of a basin". The lack of photos has a lot to answer for!

Ian

I had forgotten Hamilton Ellis' report! However, I trust that my own description of the dome resembling a "soggy blancmange" conveys a certain lack of perfection - as well as, perhaps, a shared fixation with puddings.

Best wishes

Eric

I thought Crossfields was pretty good till the "penny dropped" on page 20 - N Gauge !! - not pretty good but 'blimmin fantastic -

Of course Apethorne Jcn is beyond words. Saw it at Wigan a while ago, when I was able to fight through the crowds !!

Off to WH Smiths tomorrow for the Mag !!

Brit15

I'm sure I've mentioned it before but they're certainly not excluded and I'd positively like to feature them but the lack (to date) is solely because of availability or accessibilty to the right quality of material. You may have spotted on the index page of MI5 that there is a small slice of France which I am taking the liberty of sliding into the next print version of MI within BRM; well it's a British railway modeller! :) I also have some other content when I've finished tidying up the images around the knitting. Nothing North American yet but I have got one I'd love to feature.

The biggest problem you have Andy, as Editor, is an "Embarrassment of Riches" just on the UK layouts which predominate on here! If your hint is something to do with the "Baron" - then I agree.

It is unfortunate still to hear comments from exhibitors in the UK that "Oh, it's only a North American/French/German/etc layout" as a punter strolls past with only a cursory glance (if that). If we can get people to appreciate fine modelling whatever the subject it will be an achievement, really.

Frankly I don't care what it is a model of; if I can enjoy or learn some new technique from the modelling then it is all good.

Cheers, Pete.

Guest oldlugger

An excellent edition Andy! The feature on the houses of Pendon was particularly inspiring, particularly as I've never seen them before. The photo of the railway in the landscape was ace; how nice it would be to have that sort of space to build such a scene.

Cheers

Simon

The photo of the railway in the landscape was ace; how nice it would be to have that sort of space to build such a scene.

Cheers

Simon

Simon, I'm left wondering how they reach parts of some scenes. They must have removable pieces that are extremely subtly hidden; is all I can think of.

Does anyone on here know for sure?

Best, Pete.

They must have removable pieces that are extremely subtly hidden; is all I can think of.

Does anyone on here know for sure?

Yes; there's multiple pop out trays with access from beneath to access all areas.

There was a slight edit to the image that appeared in MI, the original is below and you should be able to see a trap in the field.

MSWfield.jpg

Thanks, Andy, yes I can. It would have taken a bit longer if you hadn't had mentioned it.

Nowadays (because when one first sees it it is simply overwhelming) I'm being really impressed by the vegetative (?) modelling, particularly the trees. Do you know who is responsible now for them?

Let's not even talk about how they keep it clean...

Best, Pete.

Guest oldlugger

Hello Pete,

I had thought exactly the same as you when I first clocked the photo. I'm just wondering if this part of Pendon is a "newer" area than the Dartmoor section? The reason I mention this is because the quality of the scenic modelling (the vegetation in this instance) seems much higher than the GWR area with very convincing grass and trees.

Cheers

Simon

I'm just wondering if this part of Pendon is a "newer" area than the Dartmoor section? The reason I mention this is because the quality of the scenic modelling (the vegetation in this instance) seems much higher than the GWR area with very convincing grass and trees.

Yes; it's upstairs as the right hand end of the Vale Scene. Given the scope of the scene it's nigh on impossible for an overall view to be shown but the picture above is at the furthest point in Rod's 8th photo in this post - http://www.rmweb.co....150#entry748410 and Gordon's 5th photo in this post http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/55044-rmweb-private-viewing-and-guided-tour-of-pendon-museum/page__st__125&do=findComment&comment=747878

I would imagine that several people are involved in tree-making as they need a few hundred more to complete the scene over time.

Inspiration is such an apt description.

Have never really seen Madder Valley before, it is an incredible piece of work, to think this a model of this quality was started 80 years ago and is the work of one man.

Still managed to get the GWR a mention even if only on Road Transport.

Regarding models of "Foriegn" places, I have seen some brilliant models at exhibitions of European, American and Japanese origin. Not wishing to single any out by name but some of the North American Logging layouts are brilliant 3D models showing both depth and height, with lots of inspiring touches, which can be used by us modelling British Outline.

Thanks for some great photos

Guest oldlugger

Yes; it's upstairs as the right hand end of the Vale Scene. Given the scope of the scene it's nigh on impossible for an overall view to be shown but the picture above is at the furthest point in Rod's 8th photo in this post - http://www.rmweb.co....150#entry748410 and Gordon's 5th photo in this post http://www.rmweb.co....125#entry747878

I would imagine that several people are involved in tree-making as they need a few hundred more to complete the scene over time.

It's so good this bit of Pendon that it makes me feel like throwing in the modelling sponge and taking up stamp collecting!

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Premium

It's so good this bit of Pendon that it makes me feel like throwing in the modelling sponge and taking up stamp collecting!

Cheers

Simon

Yes but your bit of salt marsh is better than Pendon's bit of salt marsh. They haven't done any salt marsh? Well, there you are, they just couldn't face the challenge! :-)

David

PS And a distinct lack of third rail pick up EPBs. . .

It is unfortunate still to hear comments from exhibitors in the UK that "Oh, it's only a North American/French/German/etc layout" as a punter strolls past with only a cursory glance (if that).

My own thought on this is you can't buck the market. If folk only want to see UK layouts, then that's the market and it is very natural.

Archived