Hi Neil.

Just found your thread!

Firstly, thanks for your kind comments. There's some great work going on here and I'm especially interested in the Western region stuff which I'm unlikely to have an excuse to replicate.

I had a chance to look at the Brassmasters class 25 parts at the Manchester show and they're really good. I actually bought some conversion kits for the LMS Black 5 and Crab and I'll be posting in my thread in due course.

I've also been collecting some Lima class 40 bodies on the back of Mike Knowles' work on his loco using the Shawplan parts. You know how I hold the Lima bodies in high regard and I'm looking forward to watching your class 40 work progress and getting some inspiration myself.....!

With regards to your splitter Peaks, I picked up some cheap Mainline bodies on ebay and scrapped them after removing the boxes for further use on the Bachmann body. I have some pictures somewhere and with your permission, I'll post you some on here?

Keep up the inspiring work.

Cheers.

Sean.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your comments Sean.

I've taken off the Craftsman headcode boxes from the peak - they looked too big I decided (at least alongside the excellent recent Bachmann model). I have an old Replica split box body and may carve the headcodes from that. I've decided to make a mixed splitter/centre headcode of which 45 049 and 45 064 were in the mid 1970s. Feel free to post your peak photos (I well remember your plethora of peaks thread from the last incarnation of RMweb).

Neil

Hi Neil.

Thanks for your reply. I will post a couple of pictures below of my "splitters".

Since doing these conversions, Bachmann have released their new moulding and so I have gradually being aquiring some of the newer version and have ended up with 9 bodies to detail. I will be doing the same loco's as before, with the addition of D14 with split boxes and connecting nose doors. All in good time though as there's plenty to be getting on with so in the mean time, I'll "make do" with my current models with the rather large and deep nose seams.....

Incidentally, I have some spare nose ends, (just the forward Yellow sections), if you or anyone else, need them? They are from the 45 114, model, as below, with the full class 46 style headcode box.

Anywho, here's the pictures of the Peak noses.....

post-6920-0-73656600-1352805968.jpg

post-6920-0-38975700-1352805990.jpg

post-6920-0-44499600-1352806014.jpg

post-6920-0-64984600-1352806038.jpg

post-6920-0-83977300-1352806059.jpg

Cheers.

Sean.

Edited by the penguin of doom
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

OK Christmas leave almost here - will certainly be working on my diesel projects.

A bit more on the Lima 40 rebuilds. I have seven Lima shells hanging around waiting the Shawplan treatment.

Here are three I have been working on over the past year.

40 066 mentioned earlier

40 039 The only machine to be scrapped in green

40 127(? - I think, reference books in Devon) which uniquely carried both split headcode and discs. Will edit if wrong!

(1) All receive Shawplan window frames and laser etches (40 127 shows the process started carving out the windscreen pillars and then gently working the aperture to receive the angled frames).

(2) Scavenger fan removal - although it must be stated the Lima moulding is quite sophisticated all will get the latest Shawplan extreme etch. 40 066 has an old crude fan grille which has now gone.

(3) Horn grilles - tricky, holes drilled by hand (don't use a dremel as it can and has wandered over the face of the model!), and the Shawplan grille added using a tiny speck of superglue dabbed around the hole. The grille is then put in place using a cocktail stick with a tiny blob of blue-tac, making sure the grille is in the correct orientation.

(4) Boiler exhaust and panels being added to 40 127 - all Lima models have the early Stone boiler ports, 40 127 having the Clayton versions being added.

(5) Chassis - 40 066 has been fettled to fit a version 1 Bachmann chassis- corrects the ride height issue, but actually is too low - will need some remedial work. 40 039 has a Limby railroad chassis which has been a disappointment as is very underpowered. I'm hoping that there will be a number of cheap Bachy chassis on ebay in the near future. 40 127 sits on her original Lima chassis- I've toyed with the idea of fabricating a double Lima motored chassis as described on the Kier Hardy EM gauge site, as I have many of these in the spares box.

(6) Lights has been drilled ready for a lighting kit.

(7) Handrails added including nose grabs taking note that there were differences in all the subtypes.

( 8) Cantrails - well haven't done anything about this yet - but I know about the differences, hmm...

(9) Headcodes - all locos with headcodes will have these replaced and glazed as this was a weakness of the Lima model

(10) All will be repainted and weathered as per prototype photos around 1974/5.

the excellent diesels in depth- class 40s book has been used throughout to ensure accuracy.

Neil

post-6925-0-77874100-1355997032.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

( 8) Cantrails - well haven't done anything about this yet - but I know about the differences, hmm...

Depending on how long you can wait, or if you want to add later, the cantrail grilles, similar in style to the Deltic grilles, are in Brians pending tray, test etches being built in my pending tray!

Mike.

• Like 2

How ironic Neil.

I've just collected 6 Lima 40 bodies to do just about the same job. As a result, I'll be watching your progress with interest. I'm sure you'll have seen Mike Knowles' post within my thread detailling how we came up with an idea to correct the cant rail grilles on the later batches?

I don't want to hijack your thread with it, but I can copy and paste some pictures? Alternatively, there's plenty of pictures on page 37 I think.

I do like your idea of drilling behind the air horn grille. I'd not thought of that but may be having a try too.

Cheers.

Sean.

• 2 months later...

I've just realised that there are at least four in the wardrobe. They just materialise from nowhere.....

Wished I'd known Horsetan, I'd have made you an offer and maybe saved a bob or two.....

Neil, I just realised you'd said to post some of the pictures of Mike's 40 conversion and I totally forgot.

I hope it's still ok, but below should be a link to my thread, (page 37), so as not to clog your thread up. The class 40 stuff is near the bottom of the page.....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28223-the-penguins-workbench-trans-pennine-transformation-part-2/page-37

Cheers.

Sean.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Should be plenty around Ivan when the new Bachy splitters arrive in the summer.

Got some more stuff to post soon, but if I don't watch out Bachmann will catch all my projects up.

Neil

Should be plenty around Ivan when the new Bachy splitters arrive in the summer....

We live in hope. Went to the Northfields Model Shop last week on the off-chance, but Witek only had disc-fitted bodies in stock.

Edited by Horsetan

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The last few weeks have seen a lot of "Western" class activity with the arrival of the super new Dapol Western.

So what to do with the old Heljan? It's still a very fine model and superb performer and benefits from a number of detailings as started earlier in this thread.

what i've done to these three this week

(1) sand the roof profile to a better contour- the new Dapol model was used very helpfully here.

(2) Fit Shawplan roof etches

(3) Fit lamp brackets

(4) Use precision labels headcodes- attaching them outside the glazing - despite how it sounds is more realistic than behind the glazing IMO.

(5) remove headboard clips depending on prototype (2 of these will be D1026 and D1029 which were bullt without them)

Neil

post-6925-0-75413500-1364225808_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Ok seven months without updates is far too much.

I've been quietly picking up Heljan westerns on the basis that they are reducing in price -unfortunately not as much as i'd like.

one model i'd like to create is D1065 Western Consort in 1976 condition - the summer that I have most vivid recollections of the class in decline. I'd seen her over ten individual times that year. The loco became increasingly shabby throughout that year, and the huge white patches of faded/removed blue paint were her trademark feature.

having been inspired by George Dent's article in Model rail, i decided to have a go at this extreme weathering exercise. The method used to recreate the worn white patches was to smear milliput filler gently over a distressed bodyside, and add patches of rust which is milliput coloured with weathering powders. I'm pleased on how its progressed so far.

D1065 had some distinguishing features apart from the extreme weathering, including sporting only one pair of headboard clips and having a unique horn cowl at one end. this was created from microstrip, and gently filed to shape.

D1065 has my default modifications to the Heljan model including removing the cab roof peak and fitting shawplan scavenger grilles. I've modified that technique to include padding the grilles into place with a thin smear of filler on the panel to remove any suggestion that they are proud of the bodyshell (not shown here, these photos taken late August). I may experiment with this to make a new panel from plasticard to fit around the fan - a similar setup to the Brassmasters Lima conversion kit.

post-6925-0-92085200-1381680743_thumb.jpg

D1065 with extreme weathered flanks, approaching paintshop readiness

post-6925-0-86639700-1381679608.jpg

D1065 Western Consort unique Horn cowl

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

slow but steady progress on D1065. This is the look I'm aiming for - a shot at Newton Abbot, summer 1976.

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/ImageView.aspx?id=00777046-15a8-419e-b14e-c1d69e46343e

Today added plates, Shawplan lamp irons (much finer renditions than those supplied with the Heljan model).

I've made the shawplan scavenger grilles slightly recessed using filler and a hell of a lot of patience.

Also fitted headcodes using 4mm precision labels.

Still a lot to do, filler and patch painting but its looking more like the spirit of '76 now.

Neil

post-6925-0-30064900-1384614184_thumb.jpg

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Having waited eons for the new Bachmann 40 was concerned by reports here of errant running.

One of my two was cleaned of excess grease and thoroughly checked before her first test run -all fine to date but fingers crossed.

One thing i have done is to compare it to the earlier split-box release (ten years ago, D325) green full yellow ends. By putting both models side by side the incorrect ride height on the mark I tooling was blindingly obvious, so I at last carried out Ken Gibbon's ride height modification by getting rid of the chassis ribs that the bogie towers sit on and replace them with 0.7mm wire- makes a remarkable difference- and both models have now similar ride height. Ken described this modification in September 2005 Railway modeller.

post-6925-0-50721300-1391351020_thumb.jpg

Oversize Mazak ribs on bogie tower mount

post-6925-0-02333300-1391351058_thumb.jpg

Ribs removed with a grinder attachment on a Dremel - 0.7mm wire epoxied in place.

post-6925-0-31518100-1391351108_thumb.jpg

Lowered mark 1 tooling RH GFYE compared to recent mark 2 tooling release, BFYE.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Intrigued by the Olivia's trains custom builds of the Tinsley triplets the class 13, I decided to give one a go.At almost £300 a go for this model- I reckon a bit of modelling is called for. Always parochial, the 13s never roamed from Tinsley, except to Derby works of course for general overhaul, but I wanted a model of at least one, to bring back the memories of 1970s trips to "child to Brinsworth three magpies", 2p return!

Having gradually accrued outside frame Bachmann 08s from eBay since Christmas and armed with the excellent RT models kit I put together this little lot in two weekends. The Bachmann slave chassis needed quite a bit of surgery, carved off excess mazak with hacksaw, and lots of careful filing to make sure all fitted. Everything was fixed in place by rapid epoxy adhesive. The RT models etches and whitemetal parts are excellent- but take great care with the handrail at the rear of the slave unit - very very fragile. The RT etches are designed to fit the Hornby model (no surgery required), but these are much more expensive than the Bachy model (at least secondhand).

One 08 had a split nylon drive gear (why it was cheap), bought a new wheelset from Bachmann spares for £12 - all done in three days. My Master unit will get yellow con rods donated from a blue 08- this pair will become 13 002. Still to do - perma-couple, chipping, fit buffers and paint shops. A pretty enjoyable exercise and this little lot cost no more than £90, well plus a few hours of my expensive spare time!

post-6925-0-28390400-1391945309_thumb.jpg

post-6925-0-43787000-1391945335_thumb.jpg

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 6

Intrigued by the Olivia's trains custom builds of the Tinsley triplets the class 13, I decided to give one a go.At almost £300 a go for this model- I reckon a bit of modelling is called for. Always parochial, the 13s never roamed from Tinsley, except to Derby works of course for general overhaul, but I wanted a model of at least one, to bring back the memories of 1970s trips to "child to Brinsworth three magpies", 2p return!

Having gradually accrued outside frame Bachmann 08s from eBay since Christmas and armed with the excellent RT models kit I put together this little lot in two weekends. The Bachmann slave chassis needed quite a bit of surgery, carved off excess mazak with hacksaw, and lots of careful filing to make sure all fitted. Everything was fixed in place by rapid epoxy adhesive. The RT models etches and whitemetal parts are excellent- but take great care with the handrail at the rear of the slave unit - very very fragile. The RT etches are designed to fit the Hornby model (no surgery required), but these are much more expensive than the Bachy model (at least secondhand).

One 08 had a split nylon drive gear (why it was cheap), bought a new wheelset from Bachmann spares for £12 - all done in three days. My Master unit will get yellow con rods donated from a blue 08- this pair will become 13 002. Still to do - perma-couple, chipping, fit buffers and paint shops. A pretty enjoyable exercise and this little lot cost no more than £90, well plus a few hours of my expensive spare time!

attachicon.gif13 002_1.jpg

attachicon.gif13 002_2.jpg

Neil

Hi Neil

Did you see my post a little while ago showing my class 13 - 13002 in fact but in rail blue. Mine was also made from a pair of Bachmann 08's but all the alterations were scratch built as she pre dates the kit parts you used.

Congratulations on yours - a really nice bit of modelling my friend.

Regards.

Doncaster works.

Mike.

I need to check in the morning in case distant memory is playing tricks on me but I think you will find one of the Class 13's also made it to Swindon Works as well.

Also one of them was used on a short section of a railtour away from Tinsley yard on one occasion - will check the loco number too in the morning - so its not true to say that the class NEVER roamed away from Tinsley !!.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some progress on my Lima 40s.

Despite buying a couple of the new Bachmann split-box 40 141, I have a number of Lima bodyshells that are receiving Shawplan bits and other detailing.

All have new windscreen etches, and fit very well when correctly bent to shape and cutting a small notch with a razorsaw into the bonnet.

The fiddly bit is the roof fan as it needs to look just right. A hyperactive dremel necessitated some filling on one fan (not shown here), but eventually it sat down correctly. Care is needed not to get filler between the grids on the fan cover, and the nickel-silver etch from Shawplan needed trimming to fit the surround.

Three of these have been fitted with Bachmann chassis, which needs just a bit shaved off the front to fit. The split and centre head code versions (this one is a Scottish 40 x6x)appear to mask the over height nose much better than the disc headcode variants. I have one Hornby railroad chassis which is inferior to the Bachmann, so still looking for a further two of the latter power unit.

post-6925-0-09170200-1393924772_thumb.jpg

Neil

• Like 4