• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Wow three months have passed since the last update.

Still none to spray shops, but that hopefully will change during the summer hols.

Back to Heljan Duffs - i have become rather smitten with the HJ power unit, having fettled a few to fit Lima 47 bodies but they are in short supply. Having noticed unbranded HJ 47s on eHattons for £60 a pop, I relieved them of 2 of their last 3 BFYE's. Having wanted a small fleet of WR "original" namers (i.e. 47 080 Titan, 47 083 Orion and 47 089 Amazon) the last three I'd needed to clear "Brush namers" back 40 years ago were to join my fleet. The advantage with the Heljan blue 47 is that it has the correct serck louvres and boiler ports for the original WR namer set. OK the Heljan duff has it's issues (it does look rather portly alongside its Bachmann sister), but its something I will live with and far more preferable than switching Serck louvres between Lima/Bachmann models. Sometimes the simple solutions are the best- a straightforward renumber and naming. I will add precision labels headcode panels when I chip 47 080.

post-6925-0-46934700-1402952388_thumb.jpg

Next on the long-term to do list is the first ever large logo BR diesel, 56 036. This was a celebrity at the time, and regarded a bizarre livery variation when it first appeared in 1978. I saw her in this livery one wet, dark, November saturday at Coalville that year. I've tired of waiting for the Hornby large logo model to appear - it wasn't correct for 56 036 in any case. Shawplan bits have been fitted, although I feel the jury is out on the bodyside grilles - I wanted the see through effect, but they aren't the easiest of things to put together. These close up shots are super for showing imperfections - the scavenger grilles to the naked eye look flush, the photo reveals where further "spot welding" with superglue is required. This is an old Hornby bodyshell (pre the recent retool), but I've located some next generation 56 chassis, and with some basic fettling they fit perfectly.

post-6925-0-55141700-1402952757_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Summer Hols are here - flight to Paphos later today.

I have another week off in August where a bit of modelling is to be done. My target tasks then are to detail and weather my 3 Heljan WR class 47 namers, and some attention to a Crosti 9F which was a recent eBay acquisition. This model is a rather well done Crownline conversion of a tender driven Hornby Evening star, it needs attention to the valve gear and perhaps a re powering, although the model has been adapted to have loco wheel pickups.

In the meantime I'd thought I'd mention some recent book acquisitions that I've found fascinating. My Devon neighbour John gave me his collection of Ian Allan ABCs, one of which was a 1958 Diesels volume. Most classes were "to be introduced" and most of our familiar friends were unsurprisingly not even listed (e.g class 45/46 peaks, brush 4, Hymeks, Westerns, Deltics, class 37 etc as they were still on the drawing board, or just a twinkling in the eye of the major diesel builders). There was also an interesting photo of a Swindon Inter city DMU (79XXX series) on a Swansea - Birmingham service, and many of this class wore W prefixes. I had always mistakenly assumed they were always Scottish allocations, working the Edinburgh-Glasgow shuttles.

Essentially only pilot scheme classes were listed. What is interesting though is what he'd seen - only a small number of diesels - a couple of Baby Deltics, a few shunters, the first class 15, a Derby type 2 (class 24), a pair of 20s, and 10100 "Fell". He'd also seen quite a large number of the early DMUs too, which were listed in the same volume. Normally the ABCs are considered ruined by underlining numbers, but for me gives a fascinating snapshot of the dawn of the diesel era. I will ask him next time we speak where his spotting took place, he packed up spotting in 1961 the year I was born.

Neil

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Plodding progress - but four blue WR namers emerge ready for weathering.47 086 Colossus, 47 080 Titan, 47 083 Orion and 47 089 Amazon.The last three for the last "brush 4 namers" I needed in 1974. All based on the Heljan product, chipping and headcodes fitting next.

Although brand new, many had lost their under slung tank fixing lugs - one all four of them- epoxied in place now. 47 091 GFYE is currently being weathered.

Neil

post-6925-0-02528700-1409064371_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Having had a very quiet summer on the modelling front, and just invested a bit of cash for new carp fishing rods and reels, projects have progressed at a snails pace. A little work on a new aquisition though last weekend, better pics to follow. I'm always scanning eBay for bargains, and I spotted this Bachmann/ Brassmasters 24/1 conversion, which was fitted by the now unavailable "winged" headcode boxes. This was only fitted to a handful of 24/1s and 25/0s, most of which at just one end. This has been numbered as 24 125 a highland version, which did not have this headcode type and also had slotted boiler blanking plates.

A simple hours work removed the moggy headlamps, filled holes with filler, and removed the headcodes for fitting after making the panel more flush. The model as advertised as non-DCC ready, which it was making it quite a cheap buy. A bit of remedial work on the paint job, reinstating roof rivets, new headcodes, Shawplan laser glaze arrived yesterday and a task for the evenings now they are drawing in. Apologies for the quick iPad photo, will get better quality as work progresses.

post-6925-0-61699100-1413964254_thumb.jpg

Elsewhere I've been quietly accruing Bachmann first generation class 40 chassis to put under my old Lima fleet. Just a few years ago these Lima models could be picked up for less than a tenner, but now you will struggle to get them for under £30. I'm glad I stockpiled them when I did, hopefully the first few hybrid models (detailed to almost Mostyn standards) will work through the production line this autumn.

Neil

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy

D1065 still on the to do list of Heljan Westerns. I toned the weathering back a tad as I felt it perhaps a little too over the top (see earlier post), but it was in quite a shocking state come the end, but I am aiming for mid summer 1976. It still awaiting a spray session for the scavenger grilles and cab roof. However having spoken to Brian at Shawplan earlier this year, there are rumours that finer roof fans maybe coming, so I've been sort of subconsciously holding back because of that.

I'd looked at the brake rigging as the next phase of the project, and bought some wire to fabricate it as recommended by the Kier Hardy EM site, but it will likely to be a compromise job based on the inaccurate gauge compared to the loco body.

Too many part finished projects - will nail one completely eventually.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Back to class 40s today, as I've recently obtained a spare class 40 chassis (mark 2) from Grunfols of this parish, (many thanks!).

The mark 2 Bachmann chassis is almost purpose built for Lima bodyshells, save a method to permanently attach. if there was only a way of obtaining more of them I would be happy to complete my Lima/Bachmann hybrid projects.

This afternoon I'm in the process of dealing with a disc headcode 40 bodyshell, 40 052 to become 40 116. This was the first Lima 40 I had bought in 1988/90 when they first came out. I thought I'd post some pictures of the process I use to fit Shawplan etched windscreen surrounds.

First the two windscreen front pillars are dispatched with a set of track shears or sharp pliers. The windscreen surround is then enlarged with a file, continually checking with the Shawplan etch. The etch has grooves in each pillar to fold to shape. Notice I've cut a small notch in the loco bonnet, with a razor saw. The middle of the etch then sits in this, and gives a far more accurate (in my opinion) raked appearance to the windscreen. Almost all models save the recent Bachmann mark 2 models have the windscreens too vertical. I've also sanded back the very end of the loco nose, giving a less "square" effect to the nose- one of the weak points of the Lima model.

post-6925-0-95660700-1415461869.jpg

The folded Shawplan etch is then placed in the notch in the centre of the windscreen and test fit. If folded correctly there should be absolutely no need for filler (bitter voice of experience speaking here) and minimises the work required. Continually test fit the etch to the windscreen aperture and file away excess plastic that would interfere with fitting the lazerglaze windows. The photo below is the etch just sat in position, and will be attached my the slightest whiff of araldite later this evening, of course if cyanoacrylate is your poison this can be used too.

post-6925-0-41062500-1415461915.jpg

I've found this method requires little if any filling, and gives an accurate profile to fitting the Shawplan etch to either a class 37 or class 40.

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Coupled with my Lima rebuilds I have four new tooling class 40s, 2 split headcode box and 2 GSYP centre headcode box.

All of these locos will have re headcodes to Severn Tunnel Junction bound/outbound freights. The GSYP machines will be re sprayed to GFYE so I've had an exploratory look at how easy the noses on these new models were to remove. The relevant thread and input from D1047 of Kier Hardy fame was my source.

Armed with information that just four spigots located the nose, I gently prised the nose off, only to find that two of the spigots are very fine and sheared, the remaining two were much more robust and stayed intact. Two tiny Phillips head screws keep the lighting circuit board in place and once this is removed it's an easy job to pop out the headcodes. Tomorrow evening I will rid them of these ER/ScR codes and give LMR/WR ones. Now to decide which GFYE TOPS 40.

post-6925-0-16409400-1417386196_thumb.jpg

The stripped down nose components - screws are in a safe place!

post-6925-0-14721900-1417386278_thumb.jpg

The spigots holding the 40 nose in place - the larger ones (top) remained intact.

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Lima 37s

Having a bit of fun with the mark 2 Bachmann 40 tooling, I decided that I'd renose one of my long term residents of the to do box, an ancient Lima 37 of late 80s/early 90s vintage. The work is similar to the Bachmann 40 renose, although that was just a re spray.

The Lima 37 tooling was always minus the buffer beam cowling, which was removed late 70s onwards, so I needed to backdate. Armed with a Shawplan resin 37 nose pair with buffer beam cowls I spent a fruitful 45 minutes or so this evening in front of the wood burner with a bit of plastic surgery. For those with faint hearts and have not yet used a razor saw look away now!

For many years I was nervous of cutting into precious models with a razor saw, but I was pleased by the cuts this evening. I took plenty of time cutting small guide cuts into the plastic carefully following the line of the full yellow end on the Lima model:

post-6925-0-20700200-1418239837_thumb.jpg

Then having cut slots into three sides of the nose, I carved mercilessly into the flesh taking great care not too take too much plastic off. Any remaining yellow nose can be dealt with by filing and sanding.

post-6925-0-33823800-1418239861_thumb.jpg

The two Lima noses now gone time to look at the Shawplan resin bit.

post-6925-0-95239200-1418239886_thumb.jpg

The resin noses have a handy notch to attach under the Lima shell, but still need a small amount of flash removing. I will graft these on later after they've been sprayed off the model. Here they are crudely attached for this photo with small blobs of blue tac. The resin noses are much more rigid than the Lima shell, and I will attach them with epoxy and a bit of plasticard reinforcement. When all filed and true then they look to be a perfect fit.

post-6925-0-35093100-1418239909_thumb.jpg

The whole process above was amazingly quick, and I suspect will need minimum filling, and based on previous butchery jobs I've done, care with the razor saw is the key to success. I got the largest razor saw available from Eileen's several years ago, and it's an indispensable tool.

Future work will include removal of buffers from the Vi-trains 37 chassis which is more or less a direct fit to the Lima bodyshell save cutting off the glazing pillars which protrude too far South into the bodyshell. The 37 will get Shawplan windscreens, scavenger fan and I'll probably select a South Wales prototype fitted with frost shields as the Lima body side slats are far too shallow.

Eventually I will get to spraying all the Lima 40 Hybrids, but this 37 was a welcome interlude to the 40 fleet being prepared, and a bit more prototypical for my 1970s WR layout.

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Some progress today on 40 116.

Why 40 116? It was the last 40 I saw in BR service at Severn Tunnel Junction, in June 1979. The next month came along my first girlfriend and my railway youth had then gone forever. By the time I had finished being a student and been to the U.S. for 18 months studying, the 40s had gone from BR.

40 116 was odd in that it had its nose doors plated over at the number 2 end, making it look quite odd. I've filed down the door moulds, not worrying too much about the marker lights as eventually they will be covered by discs. Still to fit are nose handrails, scavenger fan, spare fuel/water tanks (if I can source Bachmann bits that is, or maybe try a resin casting) and frost shield. I have a suspicion 40 116 had lost its frost shield by mid 1979, but will keep it as it hides the too shallow side radiator grille. This photo shows a trial run with the Lima body placed on the Bachmann mark 1 chassis - these hybrids give superb ride height.

With a bit more work this Xmas I may indeed start a layout thread too.

post-6925-0-74958500-1418481823_thumb.jpg

Neil

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Quick update, in my quest to build a better WR 37 (Compared to the first release BR blue Bachmann 37/0s) I've been buying a few more Lima bodies, ViTrains 37s and Shawplan resin noses. The Vitrains 37s to me are quite incredibly good value at the moment (I've just picked up two that have been barely used at just over £40), which is close to the price of many Lima 37s on eBay with a significantly better power unit.

I've got the Vitrains 37s I need now, just posting for others to benefit on what good value they currently are.

Neil

Good stuff Neil, I will be interested to see how the finished Vi-trains 37's, are you going to be fitting Laserglaze/etched windscreen surrounds to them? The windscreens (and lack of skirted variant) previously put me off them, so I perservered with sorting the nose out on the MK1 Bachmann variant.