• RMweb Gold

In DaveFs thread stovepipe, completely innocently posted this image which some wise guy has posted on Flickr. He's taken a huge batch of copyright slides that were advertised early in the new year on eBay and posted them in his Flickr account. Naturally it's been reported and although I'm happy to post here for our use, unimpressed by this person to say the least especially as he is also living in Bristol.

Neil

Just wanted to say I posted a BB link to the photo, but I do feel a bit guilty by association! Nevertheless I'm glad it has been brought to your attention and the matter resolved in some way. I wonder how many of his other photos are similarly purloined?

• RMweb Gold

Most of them Stovepipe, there was even a famous Colourrail shot of D1015 in there for good measure too! Absolutely none of your fault by the way, as you say if you hadn't have posted I'd be none the wiser.

Neil

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some work today on a long-term workbench resident.

I'm always scanning ebay for various bits and pieces, and especially old detailed models that have been listed poorly or in need of tlc.

This one fitted both the latter categories. A rather nice Crosti-9F but with broken valve gear and looking like its spent many a year in a dusty old box in the back of the cupboard. It seems to have been listed by someone who has inherited a collection of models from a modeller who is probably no longer with us. Due to the obvious care and attention put into this model I am trying to restore her to its former glory. It's a Craftsman detailed Hornby 9F Evening star, but tender driven. Having been watching ebay patiently for a bargain tender drive or railroad 9F, I managed to pick one up this week for the princely sum of £36. Worth the wait as tender drives are going for over £35 and spare valve gear for £18.Whilst not up to the silky performance of the Bachmann 9F chassis I'm happy with my Cheapo Crosti, which will sit alongside my Golden arrow model when done.

The new chassis was fettled to accept the Crosti pipework, and some quick work with a hacksaw all was done. All that is needed is some touch up paint,removal of lining, dusting and some weathering, and DCC fitting, and someone who is probably no longer with us, would be pleased to see this old girl running again.

Neil

post-6925-0-25169900-1428079093_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Spurred on by Pete's interest, I spent a couple of hours on 44009 this afternoon, plenty of filing and Dremel action removing the existing grille work - probably about 95% of the grille work now done - just need to get the surrounds flush to the bodywork and the grilles can be attached. Copious amounts of filing and holding the etch against the model (the one in the photo is an old A1 etch, I'll be fitting Pete's excellent new etch to this model). Some filling and fettling is still required to the grafted headcode box end but happy with progress towards the paint shops.

Some long-term residents on the work bench have been a batch of Bachmann peaks that I started before Bachmann released the split box version. I used the method of George Dent described in volume 100 of Model Rail, using thinned down Craftsman class 37/40 headcode boxes. These are still very oversize despite this work, totally apparent when the model in the photo is compared to the new Bachmann tooling. I've recently acquired some Genesis headcode boxes in pewter, which are much more subtle - and designed for the peak. So off will come these Craftsman boxes and on with the Genesis ones. This will be the fourth splitter to join my peak roster.

I've just acquired a couple more Genesis brake tender kits - put off by the first model I tried, I will persevere with them - I suspect filler use will be necessary. I have bought both long and short frame tenders - getting impatient waiting for the Hornby magazine ones.

Neil

post-6925-0-53776500-1431189653_thumb.jpg

post-6925-0-88156600-1431189187_thumb.jpg

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I had an enjoyable time in the company of Phil Bullock today and yesterday evening - we share the same profession (we are both Biomedical Scientists). Phil was in Plymouth at the same conference and stayed at my cottage. So we tried a spot of fishing last night (the tide defeated us), went for dinner and ended the evening with some fine Dalwhinnie and a fair few railway anecdotes.

As a present Phil bought me this little gem that was on eBay and ended last night. Thanks Phil for this lovely shot of 1200 (complete with Bachmann engine shed!) we must do it again soon, but we need to wet the lines next time!

post-6925-0-34309200-1432069409_thumb.jpg

Spent the last hour prepping the class 44 bodyshell, filler setting and grille apertures now done. Pete Harvey etches released from their fret, pips removed, and ready to be stuck to the model tomorrow.

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Neil for putting me up - I know it was a difficult decision between Falcon or a bottle of Malt Whisky but looking at that picture again I think you made the right choice

All of us on here have one thing in common - our enthusiasm for railways but as Neil says we also share not only profession, fishing and whisky - but also a love of wildlife!

Am sure we will arrange something to get you fluff chucking on the River Wye - and you must join us one show to run some of your locos on Abbotswood

Thanks again - and sorry for leaving my coat to clutter up your living space. Only regret was I had a 221 down and an HST back rather than Mk1s with a hydraulic up front west of Bristol although the whisky was more than good enough to create appropriate hallucinations...

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Indeed - wildlife - I can hear the Barn owl screeching outside again now Phil- he failed to mention that it kept him awake, as probably did my snoring but he is too polite to mention.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Barn owl is a throw back to my childhood - constantly calling in the woods opposite my parents house in Ombersley so any encounter is always a happy one . There are loads in the Rheidol valley over at Aberystwyth too where I fish and the presence of one outside Neil's cottage only served to add more pleasure to my visit.

Snoring? Suspect mine drowned Neil's out hee hee

Phil

Spurred on by Pete's interest, I spent a couple of hours on 44009 this afternoon, plenty of filing and Dremel action removing the existing grille work - probably about 95% of the grille work now done - just need to get the surrounds flush to the bodywork and the grilles can be attached. Copious amounts of filing and holding the etch against the model (the one in the photo is an old A1 etch, I'll be fitting Pete's excellent new etch to this model). Some filling and fettling is still required to the grafted headcode box end but happy with progress towards the paint shops.

Some long-term residents on the work bench have been a batch of Bachmann peaks that I started before Bachmann released the split box version. I used the method of George Dent described in volume 100 of Model Rail, using thinned down Craftsman class 37/40 headcode boxes. These are still very oversize despite this work, totally apparent when the model in the photo is compared to the new Bachmann tooling. I've recently acquired some Genesis headcode boxes in pewter, which are much more subtle - and designed for the peak. So off will come these Craftsman boxes and on with the Genesis ones. This will be the fourth splitter to join my peak roster.

I've just acquired a couple more Genesis brake tender kits - put off by the first model I tried, I will persevere with them - I suspect filler use will be necessary. I have bought both long and short frame tenders - getting impatient waiting for the Hornby magazine ones.

Neil

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The Genesis boxes do look much better Neil, I am not sure the craftsman boxes are that great for the class 37/40 as I had a lot filing to do with them when I did 40135. Look forward to seeing the end result!

• RMweb Gold

As a present Phil bought me this little gem that was on eBay and ended last night. Thanks Phil for this lovely shot of 1200 (complete with Bachmann engine shed!) we must do it again soon, but we need to wet the lines next time!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Neil

Falcon seemed to work 9E61 a lot. I'm told this was a 'trip' headcode that 'generally' serviced Alexandra Dock Jct / East Usk yard and Llanwern.

PS: you might want to check this link out....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/walterburt/12568061874/

Edited by stovepipe

Hi,

Looking great! I think I can recall something about you scratchbuilding a CL24 earlier in the thread? If so, it would be nice to see some photos as I am currently attempting the same thing, along with an eventual superdetail/repaint of a Lima CL55. I hope to also scratchbuild other rare items such as the CL05,CL01 and possibly a CL13, however sadly these will not go on my layout, they will either be sold or given as birthday/christmas presents to a friend of mine. If the CL24 goes well, I may well go on and do a CL20 or a CL23.

Anyway, enough about me. I look forward to seeing more updates in the future.

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Falcon seemed to work 9E61 a lot. I'm told this was a 'trip' headcode that 'generally' serviced Alexandra Dock Jct / East Usk yard and Llanwern.

PS: you might want to check this link out....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/walterburt/12568061874/

That's a shame re copyright Neil - but still a smashing shot!

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Stovepipe - I hadn't seen that on Flickr it is however a cropped version of the slide. It is very difficult to claim sole copyright however! With slides of that age the origins are sometimes obscure, this is a case of this.

Anyhow back to the modelling - I fitted the Pete Harvey etches to one side of 44009 last night, and mighty fine etches they are - extremely fine and it's clear I will have to do something in the engine room as well. I hope to do the other side on the weekend and will post some photos.

I also started on the large boilered 7F project - to become 53807 in 1953 condition. Took a razor saw to a brand new Bachmann 7F to remove the small boiler - needed stern discipline to do that, but now past the point of no return. Made similar cuts to the Golden Arrow resin model - which will serve as the source of the boiler and other bits.

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Looking great! I think I can recall something about you scratchbuilding a CL24 earlier in the thread? If so, it would be nice to see some photos as I am currently attempting the same thing, along with an eventual superdetail/repaint of a Lima CL55.

Peter

Thanks Peter - the 24/1 project has slightly advanced - I removed the cabs from the Hornby body and will splice them to a spare Bachmann 24 body (the Bachmann cabs have also been removed). The Hornby 25 has correct recessed grilles which are incorrect for 24s, and of course all Bachmann 25s have raised grilles which are incorrect, but correct for 24s and 25/0. The announcement of the new Bachmann 24/1 has put that project even more to the back of the queue.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

A quick low resolution shot on an iPad of the PHD etches fitted to one side of 44009, I hope you can see how fine they are. I will take better shots when I'm back with the layout on the weekend. I will put on a 44 chassis when back in Bristol to show what internal detail can be made out. Some equipment cameos look to beckon. I think this etch will set a new standard - I just hope my spraying skills will do it justice.

post-6925-0-27945500-1432227946_thumb.jpg

post-6925-0-32264200-1432228550_thumb.jpg

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Wow see what you mean about those etches Neil - very fine indeed

You will have a unique model there , perhaps she could stretch her legs on the Toton - Westbury through Abbotswood once finished?

Kind regards

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

OK I promised some photos of the large boiler S&D 7F.

Details of the conversion - razor saw applied with no mercy to a Bachmann 7F (53808, yes I know the incorrect Deeley tender version for 53807), and similar sized cuts to a Golden Arrow large boiler resin model. Completely stripped the 7F, and the boiler more or less a straight fit although I will need to apply filler to create a smooth saddle and work out some way of fixing the firebox, cab and boiler to the chassis. Looking for a Fowler tender- anyone interested in swapping the top sections?

An expensive build but no more than the DJH kit behind her of the original 1914 small boiler series. it will become 53807 in 1953/4 condition before the small boiler was fitted. Sorry for the struggle with contrast the camera didn't like the exposure difference between the white resin and black locos.

All has yet to be fitted in place- just posing the surgical nastiness for the camera.

post-6925-0-69806300-1432837589_thumb.jpg

post-6925-0-30505100-1432837611_thumb.jpg

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A bit more modelling on the three projects on my workbench this evening.

1. The split-box peak with genesis headcode boxes- fitted- unfitted and fitted to make make square and aligned! fiddly but much better than the carved up Craftsman models 37/40 boxes. Warts and all model placed on Bachmann 44 chassis for photogenic reasons only. Handrails next task, and to choose a prototype loco to number.

post-6925-0-99368700-1432926081_thumb.jpg

post-6925-0-16046300-1432926192_thumb.jpg

2. Large boiler 7F. Filler added as boiler saddle - fits a lot better now, and 53808 numerals removed with T-cut. Fox transfers for cabside and smokebox numbers arrived today.

3. 44009 project- I pinged off the boiler grille as I decided from the photo upthread that it wasn't square (didn't notice it in the flesh). Hope to do some more work on her this weekend.

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 2