The InterCity 125: The Age of the Train documentary

colin penfold

• RMweb Premium

UK readers: If you missed The InterCity 125: The Age of the Train documentary last night, you can catch it on iPlayer via the link below

http://www.bbc.co.uk...e_of_the_Train/

Colin, thanks for bringing this to my attention. I wasn't aware it was on TV and had picked-up indirect references to it in some of the blogs.

I'll settle back for 50 minutes now and enjoy it.

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 1

Really enjoyed watching it but shame on you Peter Snow! When refering to an old Hornby HST: "These are rare to get hold of". He then proceeds to run it along with a second HST that has a power car and a load of random coaches!

I liked all the archives , it really showed how good the HSTs looked in the original livery.

• Like 2

Just watched it - really enjoyed it. What a shame that the seating has now being changed in many of the sets after all the well thought out original design work. IMO British Rail despite all of its shortcomings was better than the railway we have today.

I commuted daily between Swindon and Slough in 1980 for @ 6 months and traveled to to Reading by 125 I was never late for work! In the evening it was Class 50 from Reading to Swindon as not all of the HST's had been delivered at that time.

XF

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Enjoyed that documentary except for Peter Snow claiming his raspberry ripple livery Hornby HST was 30 years old!

At least they completely left out the smelly brakes and the "Paxman Howl"

• 9 years later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 14/09/2012 at 22:49, Horsetan said:

I forgot how presentable Jimmy Savile could look.

IIRC there was a LOT of editing involved on that programme to minimise the late sex offenders on screen presence and it suffered accordingly with a somewhat awkward structure (Not surprising as said individual was very much at the forefront of the advertising campaign).

The most notable to me being whenever the 'This is the age of' jingle being played it was always jarringly cut just before the late sex offender says 'the train'.

• RMweb Gold

BR hired a hall somewhere in London, and we - a huge number of middle and senior managers - were given a presentation by David Rayner, who was something like Director, Passenger Marketing Services. I think the promo video must have been played, and we were all encouraged, time and again, to chant the slogan. Some of us were more participative than others..... 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

I think the promo video must have been played, and we were all encouraged, time and again, to chant the slogan. Some of us were more participative than others..... 

"Now then, now then, now then, now hear this ... ." (Strangled sounding scream.)

Unfortunately, a number of monsters have managed to manoeuvre themselves into positions offering them far more power than they should have.

I sometimes wonder if this is made easier for them because the "individuals" concerned are / were fundamentally bullies.

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...

I saw an interview with the person who had to sign Jimmy Savile to the role of promoting the HST. He didn't like Jimmy Savile as he said there was something about his demeanor that just made him unlikable a sort of something you couldn't quite put your finger on. He had a feeling that Savile was evil in some way that he couldn't explain but after Savile's death we all certainly found out about.