Charlbury - 3mm GWR BR(W) BLT

TT3

Well, seems like everyone is having a go at the 2010 challenge so bowing to peer pressure I thought I would have a go too.

On a serious note, the 2010 challenge seemed like a good excuse to do some modelling while the current layout is being dismatled ready for the house move. Fortunatley, I had the base from some old kitchen units under the house and this seemed ideal measuring 5 foot by 15 inches. I was planning to use this as a fidle yard but it seemed just the right size for a 3mm scale BLT.

So today after sourcing some spare 19mm pine for the baseboard tops and a couple of hours playing with spare track from the MPD on the old layout we have go thus far....apologies for the quality of the pictures I could not be stuffed getting the tripod out and so on for these overall shots!

Note: trackwork has only been roughed out in these pictures, I was surprised how I could use almost all the MPD tackwork without any cutting or gaps to get an idea of the layout...next job is to cork the trackbed and lay the track properly.

post-6952-12618985938698_thumb.jpg

post-6952-12618986165483_thumb.jpg

Seems to do what is needed, headshunt for the goods yard, little bay platform for the autotcoach, small perisables depo near the station building..

Now just add some rolling stock and buildings to get a better idea of how it will look...

post-6952-12618987426924_thumb.jpg

94xx by signal box...

post-6952-1261898776228_thumb.jpg

autocoach (the main reason for going GWR as I cannot face repainting it!)

post-6952-12618988277098_thumb.jpg

post-6952-1261898863312_thumb.jpg

Final overall view, probably will look better with scenery. I am going to fix the trackwork tommorow and do some quick wiring so I can play trains in the living room sitting on the sofa!

post-6952-12618988894263_thumb.jpg

Rapid progress being made already, the trackwork is all down properly, underlay laid, and after a bit of test wiring the first trains run. Have to say taking a decent amunt of time to get the tack right certainly gives smooth running.

Total time so far..2 days on and off, total cost...$40 (timber, new cork and sundries)..

I also noticed the track plan, though condensed and simplified bares a passing resemblance to Staines West (minus the small depo), if this layout works as planned it will be extended and included as a portable 'module' for the permament layout so can be sent off to exhibitions as 3mm scale layout are pretty scarce round these parts.

More pictures tomorrow..

I like the look of this biggrin.gif

Certainly quicker progress than mine....

The track plan looks slightly familiar too biggrin.gif

I am aware about the trackplan similarities, however the development of this was entirely independent to yours, I was working with what track I had leftover from the other layout!...there are some differences though...you will notice I have no double slip (though one would be better in the space) and my crossover goes the opposite way so I can have an island platform.

I have not yet made the point motor holes and all track is temporary wired up for 'testing' even so the trains run quite well. Day 3s work included the completion of a scales scenes platform of card and 3mm MDF (horrible stuff to cut) and the repair/modification of numerous items of rolling stock.

I have to be a bit quick in construction as the layout is actually being built in the middle of the living room so I can sit on the sofa and play trains, dont know how long I can get away with this until SWMBO insists it is taken into the other room, especially as I was gluing the platform together on the kitchen bench...hey I needed 900mm of flat clear space..

On a light note, I have relised how much fun it is to srat again with another project. The main layout has stalled pending dismantling and was not run a great deal in recent months but this little project as been grand...big plans are afoot after the 2010 challenge..this will become part of the around the walls branch line from the current layout keping the station board portable....intend to extend the loop lines, and add a few exchange sidings...expected lenght of the new project will be around 12 feet to get that spacious feel.....

• 3 months later...

Archived