Roco Z21

I suggest that the lack of apparent change when comparing Win11 to Win10 shows how good Win 11 is over Win10 with Microsoft managing to make the changes 'under the bonnet' invisible to the end-user, but that lack of visible change doesn't mean that there hasn't been change, there has been lots, and it is all good.

In 15 months of running it on 2 machines I have not had one BSOD, or a failure to do exactly what I want it to do when I want it to do it - and I am running the Beta versions!

I regard it as the best, most stable and easiest to use Windows system that Microsoft have created - and it is all for free, what is there not to like about that 😊.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

I suggest that the lack of apparent change when comparing Win11 to Win10 shows how good Win 11 is over Win10 with Microsoft managing to make the changes 'under the bonnet' invisible to the end-user, but that lack of visible change doesn't mean that there hasn't been change, there has been lots, and it is all good.

In 15 months of running it on 2 machines I have not had one BSOD, or a failure to do exactly what I want it to do when I want it to do it - and I am running the Beta versions!

I regard it as the best, most stable and easiest to use Windows system that Microsoft have created - and it is all for free, what is there not to like about that 😊.

We are going off topic a bit but I guess there is confidence to be had for users generally when the background systems that we need to work well, receive positive testimonials. I have three units, all upgraded seamlessly, apart from the annoying attempts by Microsoft to embed their own preferences, which I have to over-ride every time. Obviously the EU didnt fine them enough. But compared to Vista for example..

My take on it is that having a slowdown/plateau in chip development has enabled software to catch up. Maybe completely wide of the mark.

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

In 15 months of running it on 2 machines ...

But it only came out last July (beta) and October (official). 🙂

I agree it's very stable indeed - I have it on both my main PC and the Railway Room PC with Traincontroller and Z21 - both have the 22H2 beta version. There is a Windows 11 thread but it's seeing virtually no activity, presumably because there are very few problems. 

Edited by RFS

On 21/04/2022 at 22:36, WIMorrison said:

I regard it as the best, most stable and easiest to use Windows system that Microsoft have created

Hmm, not the experience I've had with my wife's laptop. Twice Windows 11 has managed to lose the configuration relating to the keyboard and render the system unusable on bootup, even after a reboot. Checking through the various forums reveals that this is not an uncommon problem - fortunately those same forums also provide a practical solution to re-enable the laptop. Root cause appears to be a bug in Windows 11.

Before you blame the laptop hardware, I'll point out that this is a standard unmodified Microsoft Surface 2 machine - i.e. an all Microsoft combination. Colour me unimpressed, since I'm the "expert" who has to sort out the mess.

I simply don't get issues like this on the Mac and Linux systems that I have. I'm regretting not switching my wife's system over to a Mac the last time we had to buy a new machine for her. It would have saved me some hours work and a few grey hairs...

Yours,  Mike.

• Like 1

My experience with Microsoft on previous systems has been similar, so I don't mess with things unnessesarily. 

I've been using the  evolving Microsoft operating systems since it was called 86-DOS (and perhaps the probelm is that it isn't develoepd from scratch) and I do think troubles can be faults with that particular supplier's software, and I don't have any reason to believe that upgrades to Z21 or to iTrain would be anything like as risky.  But until and unless I want whatever's in an upgrade, why should I take the risk and why should I expend any time and effort (however small) in making changes?

Edited by Michael Hodgson
PS It's not so much a matter of grey hair in my case - it's all fallen out!
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is a new version of the iOS app (1.4.3) on the App Store and I advise you NOT to download it because you will not be able to operate your layout because it presents a white screen with no way of accessing any of the controls.

the same may apply to the android versions

10 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

There is a new version of the iOS app (1.4.3) on the App Store and I advise you NOT to download it because you will not be able to operate your layout because it presents a white screen with no way of accessing any of the controls.

Updated two Android devices and both are working fine. I have no Apple devices to test with.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by DaveArkley
Spelling

I can confirm that using a OnePlus 9 running Android 12 there is issues with the latest Android version 1.4.3.

I can still operate the layout and locos, and also do programming, but I cannot access any of the settings pages.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Gray69 said:

I can confirm that using a OnePlus 9 running Android 12 there is issues with the latest Android version 1.4.3.

I can still operate the layout and locos, and also do programming, but I cannot access any of the settings pages.

Ah!

I haven't installed the Android OS update yet (still on 11). I guess I'll hang fire on that one.

Cheers

Dave

16 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

iOS app V1.4.4 now available. Seems to have resolved 1.4.3’s white screen problem 

• Like 2

Is it just me, or is the Z21 app locomotive database function wonky? I recently bought a Roco set of locomotive and wagons, loco DCC fitted with sound, and thought it'd be a good chance to try out the database for adding a newe loco to my app roster. The search function seems to be non-functional - I tried the product number as indicated, including trying the numbers for a coupole of locomotives that are already listed - no result. My set is a 2021 catalogue item, so maybe it's just new enough to not be listed?

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, jaym481 said:

Is it just me, or is the Z21 app locomotive database function wonky? 

I think it is not you. I also struggle with the search function and in the end I went through the whole lot until I found the locomotive I have bought. Not really user friendly (or I am too stupid to understand how it should work). 

By the time looking for the right loco in the database I would have programmed half of the functions manually already.... 

• Thanks 1

Agree on the search facility being difficult (at best). Why not search on loco class or country???

Anyway I do still like the Z21 though!!! I normally use a Multimaus for loco control and an iPad for Point / Route setting on the Belgian layout.

Thanks,

Neil

• RMweb Premium

No fear, also I like the z21 & Z21, if one of them breaks I would replace it (by z21 only) 

Want to see Z21 in action? Why not coming to the Milton Keynes Model Railway exhibition on Saturday 16th July 2022 where I will be present with Donnersbachkogel. 

Where? 

The Ridgeway Centre

Featherstone Road

Wolverton Mill

Milton Keynes

MK12 5TH

doors are open from 10 to 16:30

And yes, I will wear my Lederhosen to give the whole thing an Austrian touch....

49546323913_bbb6fc732c.jpgreceived_202187720900996 by Gerhard Novak, on Flickr

• Like 1

I have downloaded version 1.4.5 to have a look (I have kept the old version). In general I prefer the old version and although I have not connected the app to the Z21 yet, I can see one change that is a tad annoying. On the old app you could photograph a section of the layout and superimpose the point controls over this. This possibility seems to have disappeared - unless I have missed something.

Z21 comes into its own for automation as the interface for control is so robust and reliable. I can’t recall the last time I actually looked at the Z21 or Z21 Booster and the only time I look at the app is when someone asks a question here and I need to refresh my memory :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JST said:

This possibility seems to have disappeared - unless I have missed something.

That's right it has. You can now create a mimic diagram instead.

Regards,

John P

• Informative/Useful 1

Having fun and games creating the mimic diagram. I have watched the tutorial but the icons on my screen are not behaving the same. Sometimes they refuse to move other times they move to odd places and occasionally disappear completely!  After a few disappeared I went off in search of them and eventually found them huddled up together in the far top left hand corner of the grid - pesky little blighters!

• Friendly/supportive 1

Managed to finish the mimic diagram of the branch terminus part of my layout (I will leave the rest to iTrain!) and have tried the new app for the first time. I have to say I like it. At first it seemed a bit odd and I didn't like the colour scheme so I changed it to blue which seems much better on the eye. The function buttons on the throttle are a bit less clear compared with the old app but the big bonus is the loco selection screen. I have 30 plus locos on my layout and this makes life a lot easier than the old swiping across method.

I am assuming that this cannot be so but it seems that the throttle operation is somehow smoother. One odd thing - when I open a loco throttle to start, it shows the speed as 0 kph but as soon as you move the throttle it changes to mph.