Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

I assume for the 'Coronation', Jesse?

I'll take its picture today, and you can see what it looks like. Ironically, you might be very near the price, though not the timescale!

Regards,

Tony. 

If it is of that quality I imagine we can tolerate the wait to see the pictures.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I am keeping an eye on the GWR stuff. Mainly kit carriages. But also later wagons.

Wagons are a really big hole in modelling. Even big holes in BR built, and I am including kits.

Only way I have got some is by asking very nicely then buying them.

Hence lots of Cambrian air braked stock and some of my Parkside stock.

I was chatting with the Cambrian brothers about the air braked.  Plan one was reuse the Hornby chassis. I pointed out expensive and not that well detailed. They thought about it and released with chassis mouldings.

I was one of a number of people asking nicely for the BR HTV coal hoppers and STV tube wagons.

My WR 1960 diversion layout is short of a few wagon designs. But only 2 loco classes used. And I have one of each hence why I decided on it

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, Chamby said:

Hi Tony,

There can’t be many GWR prototypes that have not been produced by the manufacturers now?

The two that immediately spring to mind are the Saint and the Great Bear.  If the Hush Hush has proven to be a popular model for LNER collectors then I ‘m sure there would be plenty of GW collectors who would be prepared to pay for a Great Bear.  The Saints were withdrawn between 1924 - 1953 and so many GW and BR western region layouts could justify running a Saint.

Frank

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Chuffer Davies said:

The two that immediately spring to mind are the Saint and the Great Bear.  If the Hush Hush has proven to be a popular model for LNER collectors then I ‘m sure there would be plenty of GW collectors who would be prepared to pay for a Great Bear.  The Saints were withdrawn between 1924 - 1953 and so many GW and BR western region layouts could justify running a Saint.

Frank

But very little to tow behind them.

Need to use kits for any representative train beyond a B set

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, MJI said:

But very little to tow behind them.

Need to use kits for any representative train beyond a B set

Spot on, that's been true for a long time, particularly for the Star.  The Hornby Collett coaches were most welcome when they were launched but other than poor representations of clerestory stock from Triang Hornby there has been nothing suitable RTR.  I wish someone would produce some Toplight coaches for those of us modelling the GW in the late 20's and beyond.

Regards,

Frank 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

I am copying sets from pictures, seen the following

2xT 1xBT 1953 GWR designed (C83 and equivalent BT)

C83 with Sunshine BTK

Mark 1 64foot T T BT

2x Airfix B Set carriages

2x later Comet B Set carriages

D84 C73 C54 E148 <- doing this one

Odd vehicles on odd sets a few 57ft T

Yet same Prairie on a few sets

So far got 6 of them, 2 RTR

I do like the piccies of Diesel Hydraulics on pre nationalisation stock

The late GWR non corridors were build a year before the mark 1s

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gr.king said:

If it is of that quality I imagine we can tolerate the wait to see the pictures.

It's not the 'highest' quality, Graeme.

Given the source (Mailcoach) it's probably as good as can be expected. 

If it were, say, made from etched brass kits, the price would be well over a thousand.

I'm watching the cricket at the moment (which England seem to want to chuck away with sloppy fielding), so I'll take the picture later.

Regards,

Tony. 

6 hours ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Frank

Good evening Frank,

Here's a very nice Saint............

813944785_Pro-ScaleSaint.jpg.5545860413f774a44d5901b0562ff80f.jpg

It's the one absolute gem in the current collection. Though it's not signed, it has all the hallmarks of a full professional job. It's built from a Pro-Scale kit.

On receipt, it didn't run; its Portescap was gummed-up solid. After sorting that out, its running was erratic. After identifying the problem as dodgy (phosphor bronze) pick-ups, I've fully-adjusted these, cleaned and oiled the whole mechanism and now this lovely loco runs as well as it looks. 

I think I already have a buyer for this, at £275.00. If it falls through, I'll offer it for general sale. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Firstly, an apology to all those expecting a picture of the 'Coronation' today (as I intimated). 

I've watched the cricket, which, as is generally known, England lost by probably the margin of their sloppy fielding. The result might be no bad thing, because in just about every Cricket World Cup I can remember, the eventual winners will have lost a game - best get it out of the way before the knockout stage! 

I promise to take the 'Coronation' picture tomorrow. 

Anyway, I'm going through the collection bit by bit. Briefly, what's complete in the main comprise the following (as well as those already shown). I'm reading off the list I was given.

Ex-Taff Vale U1.

K's Grange.

2x K's 57XX Panniers (one in need of completion).

Ex-Cambrian 2-4-0T.

14XX 0-4-2T.

28XX.

Gibson County 4-4-2T.

Another Pannier tank.

74XX.

2x 44XX Prairies.

Collet 0-6-0.

2x 45XX Prairies, one requiring completion.

94XX.

None of the above will be at a very high price (all under £100.00, many rather less). I'll be checking them all, taking pictures and advising as to prices. 

Un-built loco kits comprise (I've yet to check if they're complete). Again, I'm reading off the list.

Manor. Premier kit.

850 Pannier. Premier kit.

1076 Pannier. Premier kit.

County Tank. Gibson kit.

Hall. Wills.

Star. Wills.

2x Saint. Wills.

54XX Nu-Cast.

Churchward 4-4-2. Hammond kit.

2x ex-MSWJR 2-4-0. Sutherland.

Diesel Railcar. K's.

Dean Goods. K's.

I'll check all the above (the Willesden address for the K's kits rather tells their age).  I'll price these as I see fit (not a lot), but if anyone is particularly interested prior to this, please PM me and I'll fully-describe what any item is like. 

There are seven completed carriages which are either brass or plastic (MAJ, I think). Again, I'll take pictures of these. There are also some 30-odd plastic kit-built wagons (of different qualities, but most quite good) from the likes of Coopercraft, Ratio, Parkside and Peco, etc. I'll be selling these for between £5.00 and £10.00 each (less than the price of the kits). I'll try and make a list.  

Un-built rolling stock kits include several Blacksmiths' clerestories, a milk van and a toplight. There's also a Hammond Saloon, and a D&S Low Siphon (probably the most valuable of them all). 

There are umpteen sundry items of copper-clad pointwork and a Scalelink GWR footbridge. 

Expressions of interest are invited, but, please give me time to sort everything out.

Many thanks in anticipation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 minute ago, MJI said:

any Coopercraft cattle I am interested in thanks

There are Martin,

I'll check tomorrow. Someone else asked the same question, but he expressed an interest first.

After what happened before, I'm carefully checking the chronology.

I'll let all know tomorrow. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I assume for the 'Coronation', Jesse?

I'll take its picture today, and you can see what it looks like. Ironically, you might be very near the price, though not the timescale!

Regards,

Tony. 

More of a joke comment then interest Tony, apologies, but I actually have a DS coronation here purchased of Jack Pederson for a bargain price of 150 quid. As you know after that sale I became good friends with Jack and finally told him one day he was mad for selling it to me for such a low price, saying to him I could sell it for double even triple that price on ebay…. To which his reply was it only cost him 10 quid!! Not sure who got the better deal now! :laugh:

Still yet to build it, I’m trying to do a few more DS kits before starting a mammoth job like that. Brass coaches are still holding a cloud of doubt in my mind when I start one. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

7 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

More of a joke comment then interest Tony, apologies, but I actually have a DS coronation here purchased of Jack Pederson for a bargain price of 150 quid. As you know after that sale I became good friends with Jack and finally told him one day he was mad for selling it to me for such a low price, saying to him I could sell it for double even triple that price on ebay…. To which his reply was it only cost him 10 quid!! Not sure who got the better deal now! :laugh:

Still yet to build it, I’m trying to do a few more DS kits before starting a mammoth job like that. Brass coaches are still holding a cloud of doubt in my mind when I start one. 

Brass coach is like a brass wagon……only bigger. 
if you can do one the other follows the same principles.

oh you need glazing, that is the new bit.

richard 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, richard i said:

Brass coach is like a brass wagon……only bigger. 
if you can do one the other follows the same principles.

oh you need glazing, that is the new bit.

richard 

I think I just haven’t done enough coaches yet. I can knock up a brass/whitemetal/plastic wagon kit with my eyes closed. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Good morning Jesse,

Never apologise for jokes. Jokes make our friendship even better. 

That does seem to be an incredibly low price for a 'Coronation' set. Well done, both of you.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Greetings all.

Carriage building. I'm looking at the Poppys Woodtech site, and a new item is 4mm NER carriage kits. Before I pony up more of my hard-earned, has anyone here built any of these kits yet please?

3 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

I can knock up a brass/whitemetal/plastic wagon kit with my eyes closed

Looking at some of the offerings on eBay, one suspects that those responsible for said offerings have done just that - and it shows... :o

• Funny 11

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Jesse,

Never apologise for jokes. Jokes make our friendship even better. 

That does seem to be an incredibly low price for a 'Coronation' set. Well done, both of you.

Regards,

Tony. 

Jokes make everything better, even at funerals! Unless you’re at the wrong one… 

The coronation will be worth a tenner after I’ve tried building it! 

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

Out of all the tasks in the hobby, I find building carriages the least enjoyable.

I think it is the repetition involved. You make one door handle or put one roof vent on and realise just how many more you need to do to complete a rake.

I think it's soldering in the door hinges that get me. Even on a six wheeler, it's at least an hour's boring and fiddly work per side.

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Barry Ten said:

I think it's soldering in the door hinges that get me. Even on a six wheeler, it's at least an hour's boring and fiddly work per side.

Agreed.

There are just so many jobs like that on carriages. With a compartment carriage and soldered on droplights (another chore) every window needs its own bit of glazing.

Part of the problem is that every single detail like a hinge, door handle or grab handle has to be pretty much spot on, identical and all in line otherwise they stick out like sore thumbs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Out of all the tasks in the hobby, I find building carriages the least enjoyable.

I think it is the repetition involved. You make one door handle or put one roof vent on and realise just how many more you need to do to complete a rake.

I have just finished a rake of GER 4 wheelers from the David Eveleigh etches and they just seemed to drag on for ever. Perhaps I don't have the same levels of concentration and staying power that I once had. I have a rake of 10 District Railway 4 wheelers to do for the same layout, so that will test my staying power even more!

20211102_172806.jpg.fa1e8e216418e612764724125f2257a8.jpg

Yep. I took on a Hertford Quad kit (see the blog) a few years ago; structural assembly, correcting the kit,  door handles, hinges, ventilators, door stops. Done. Still to do: underframes (~50% done), articulation, bogies, footboards, roofs, glazing, painting (LNER teak), interiors, passengers, still to do. For some reason I was planning a GE quint too…

• Like 3