Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

2 hours ago, john new said:

Possibly new staff member and being observed for training. 

All staff have to do it. 

There is a box on the till that needs confirmation and you have to ask. If you don't ask and the manager is about then it's an instant dismissal. 

Remember the model shop in London that got fined a lot of money for selling a tool set with a craft knife in to a minor? Ian Allan I think it was.

I keep having to remind my volunteers to check the ages with kids buying games and DVDs. Even charity shops can be prosecuted for selling items that are age restricted.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 3

22 minutes ago, Mike 84C said:

Re; tenders behind Western 38's, fired quite a few in their twilight years in the 60's. Never met one with a 4000 gal tender. Not saying it never happened just I never saw it. Neither do I believe that the LMR did tender swaps to keep 38's running, they had loads of class 8's for which they had easy access to spares. I think that is railfan myth. A 38 was a brilliant freight loco but coming from 84C I would say that would'nt I:boast:.

Now the 47's did run with 4000 gal tenders. And some were shedded up in the north of the old WR territory.

There are published pictures that prove it 'did' happen. It certainly isn't a myth even though it wasn't common :)

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Mike 84C said:

Re; tenders behind Western 38's, fired quite a few in their twilight years in the 60's. Never met one with a 4000 gal tender. Not saying it never happened just I never saw it. Neither do I believe that the LMR did tender swaps to keep 38's running, they had loads of class 8's for which they had easy access to spares. I think that is railfan myth. A 38 was a brilliant freight loco but coming from 84C I would say that would'nt I:boast:.

Now the 47's did run with 4000 gal tenders. And some were shedded up in the north of the old WR territory.

No. Never happened....

:prankster:

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/philsutters/41122974

One of Phil's dads photos

Jason

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mike 84C said:

Well, Steamport  Southport thanks for posting that photo, every days a school day! But it does look a bit strange! And 1956 hardly their twilight years. Love to see some more like it.

I think the twilight years reference was some that were still running at places that had been moved to the LMR on paper just before the end of WR steam. Places like Croes Newydd/ Shrewsbury/ Birkenhead/ Chester/ etc.

They just ran what they had into the ground. The WR didn't want them back!

Thankfully a lot of them ended up at Barry.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Theakerr said:

During the last lockdown I created the attached video that gives an overview of New Waltham.  It was created for a couple of reasons,1) having referenced New Waltham several times the video allows those references to be put into perspective especially since most people will never physically see the layout and 2) to learn some video making skills.  For most of the video I used the computer microphone resulting in a rather 'tinny' sound and as a result have purchased a better mic for any future videos.   My rather stylish long hair was initially my answer to COVID lockdowns and now is a result of not being able to find a COVID secure hairdresser in the area.  It could also be that I like people to think I am an old TaiChi Master.

Great stuff!

Thanks for showing us.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A few more GWR items for sale.

The better stuff has gone!

743065394_Cambrian2-4-0T.jpg.82cf8132b5a9bfee08b6e45c1603e488.jpg

An ex-Cambrian 2-4-0T. Nicely made, and visually a good runner, but, with its open-framed motor, a little noisy.

I'm asking £35.00 for this.

1452584304_County4-4-0.jpg.5eff8e03d80abdc33513e8dcb00fc685.jpg

A real hybrid. It looks like a much-modified Kitmaster City of Truro. Romford drivers.

It runs rather well. Again, £35.00.

Grange.jpg.2184468352559aec1344e4858af3f2f2.jpg

A Grange, made from a Tri-ang Hall I'd think. Romford drivers. 

A good runner. 

£35.00.

1594065854_Ex-TVR0-6-2T.jpg.6df581d7a7321e8010b97fd2011fddee.jpg

A Wills ex-Taff Vale 0-6-2T on a Hornby Dublo R1 chassis. Romford drivers.

It runs, but it's very noisy (I don't have the time to strip it down, but I'm sure the noise can be eliminated). 

£25.00.

1680149096_70carriage.jpg.30716aaadcbbcc82341d783e712bd2b6.jpg

A MAJ 70' carriage. Jackson wheels.

£20.00.

Autocoaches.jpg.4c03601545d0f656c85bde415c204bd6.jpg

Two K's Auto coaches. Quite well-made and reasonably-painted.

£25.00 each.

With Markits/Romfords drivers now at over £6.00 each, I hope the loco prices are fair. 

None of them is 'top-drawer' (obviously) and they represent a personal modelling journey undertaken by a now-deceased GWR fan.

Anyone interested, please PM me.

There are just a few more items. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

A few more GWR items for sale.

The better stuff has gone!

743065394_Cambrian2-4-0T.jpg.82cf8132b5a9bfee08b6e45c1603e488.jpg

An ex-Cambrian 2-4-0T. Nicely made, and visually a good runner, but, with its open-framed motor, a little noisy.

I'm asking £35.00 for this.

1452584304_County4-4-0.jpg.5eff8e03d80abdc33513e8dcb00fc685.jpg

A real hybrid. It looks like a much-modified Kitmaster City of Truro. Romford drivers.

It runs rather well. Again, £35.00.

Grange.jpg.2184468352559aec1344e4858af3f2f2.jpg

A Grange, made from a Tri-ang Hall I'd think. Romford drivers. 

A good runner. 

£35.00.

1594065854_Ex-TVR0-6-2T.jpg.6df581d7a7321e8010b97fd2011fddee.jpg

A Wills ex-Taff Vale 0-6-2T on a Hornby Dublo R1 chassis. Romford drivers.

It runs, but it's very noisy (I don't have the time to strip it down, but I'm sure the noise can be eliminated). 

£25.00.

1680149096_70carriage.jpg.30716aaadcbbcc82341d783e712bd2b6.jpg

A MAJ 70' carriage. Jackson wheels.

£20.00.

Autocoaches.jpg.4c03601545d0f656c85bde415c204bd6.jpg

Two K's Auto coaches. Quite well-made and reasonably-painted.

£25.00 each.

With Markits/Romfords drivers now at over £6.00 each, I hope the loco prices are fair. 

None of them is 'top-drawer' (obviously) and they represent a personal modelling journey undertaken by a now-deceased GWR fan.

Anyone interested, please PM me.

There are just a few more items. 

34 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Remember this one?

884798167_28XXsmalltender.jpg.8ddc8fc5c5ca9d4dfdbaea18906873b2.jpg

1495256216_28XXlargetender.jpg.3405b9f781f778d98f0c29ddf107d86e.jpg

With both tenders, £45.00 to anyone who's interested. 

Postage & packing is £10.00 (guaranteed/insured) on any of the items.

What a lovely selection of 1960s/1970s-style models.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Wow! That appears to be a self-driving bus & in 1957! Amazing! However, maybe it's just a prototype because there aren't any passengers probably for safety reasons. Isn't it odd that it can't have gone into production. One wonders what went wrong, but then it does lean rather a lot to the left (in the photo).

William

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, TJ52 said:

Nah! The bus is waiting for passengers from the next train and the driver has gone in for a chat or  a visit to the loo.

Terry

Gone for a swift half in the Willoughby Arms...

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

1 hour ago, ecgtheow said:

Wow! That appears to be a self-driving bus & in 1957! Amazing! However, maybe it's just a prototype because there aren't any passengers probably for safety reasons. Isn't it odd that it can't have gone into production. One wonders what went wrong, but then it does lean rather a lot to the left (in the photo).

William

Good afternoon William,

What's a bus (driver-less/passenger-less or what) supposed to do but lean if it's parked at right angles (or near right angles) to a slope? 

This is prototype modelling, after all.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

How about some 'inventive' modelling?

It might be recalled that I posted a picture of a bus under a bridge some little time ago. It carried an inappropriate destination blind (accurate for the bus model, but not for the location).

Anyway, look now......

851619763_LittleBythambus.jpg.8ac938d749b71c3f121a9a8aad88a249.jpg

Ian Wilson has produced some more-local destination blinds for me (he also built the stationmaster's house in the background and the booking hall, both of which still stand at Little Bytham - in the case of the latter, just). 

Now, here's the 'inventive' bit. Was there ever a number 24 service running along the B1176 from Stamford to Grantham, in 1958? And, is it the correct style of bus? Who knows? I feel it certainly looks the part now, especially with Tom Foster's brilliant weathering. 

And, in close-up............

1339120294_LittleBythambusclose-up.jpg.b9ca4d9bc2d29d06c92f4061c411d57b.jpg

One merely cuts the blinds out from the sheet of paper (there are several duplicates), take out the white edges with a non-bleed felt-tip and fix them in place (they're self-adhesive). Bob's your uncle! 

He also supplied the bus numberplate.

Ian will do anything like this on commission, and can be contacted at ian@pacificstudio.co.uk

Tel: 01476 550502. 

Hello Tony and I hope you and Mo are well. What a lovely classic shot of the Bristol LS outside LB station. Unfortunately there are a few details that need rectification and as I know you seek perfection, then you'll forgive me for mentioning!

Firstly the destination would be correct for a similar vehicle operating the 24 service from Stamford.

The particular vehicle depicted, 2211, was built differently to the model and had the emergency exit in the middle at the rear, making it a three window arrangement.................this was the only one built like this for LRCC and carried the registration number LFU713, MEW54 didn't exist on these vehicles. 2211 was allocated to Lincoln and then Goole so would not probably have ever operated this service.

A good vehicle to depict this model on this route would therefore be 2216 OFU436 which was allocated to Grantham and did operate this route. I think I sent you an image of it when I gave you the model.

Anyway I hope you don't mind my interference but us 'bus nuts' do also try............and often fail.................to seek perfection!

All the best

Grahame

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

58 minutes ago, Chamby said:

Buses do lean...

20080106-leaning.jpg

Yes.............its an Olympian thing Chamby!    The one I am restoring has a habit of 'sticking levelling valve' on the O/S air suspension as illustrated.  We always had to allow an extra foot when parking them up at night!

IMG_0933[1].JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BrushVeteran said:

Hello Tony and I hope you and Mo are well. What a lovely classic shot of the Bristol LS outside LB station. Unfortunately there are a few details that need rectification and as I know you seek perfection, then you'll forgive me for mentioning!

Firstly the destination would be correct for a similar vehicle operating the 24 service from Stamford.

The particular vehicle depicted, 2211, was built differently to the model and had the emergency exit in the middle at the rear, making it a three window arrangement.................this was the only one built like this for LRCC and carried the registration number LFU713, MEW54 didn't exist on these vehicles. 2211 was allocated to Lincoln and then Goole so would not probably have ever operated this service.

A good vehicle to depict this model on this route would therefore be 2216 OFU436 which was allocated to Grantham and did operate this route. I think I sent you an image of it when I gave you the model.

Anyway I hope you don't mind my interference but us 'bus nuts' do also try............and often fail.................to seek perfection!

All the best

Grahame

Thanks Grahame,

I do recall your telling me that the model itself was incorrect when you gave it to me.

So, if I alter its identity to the one you suggest, it'll be 'accurate'? And, accurate it must be!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks to all those who've been quick off the mark buying the GWR items - they're really going well.

One thing I should mention to all purchasers is that an invitation to visit Little Bytham in the future is included in the price! How much of an incentive that might be, I don't know.................

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1