That looks rather fine and the whole of Dent does of course make a very modelable location.

I take it you have David Jenkinsons's various articles on his layout; from the 1950's onwards and predominantly in the Model Railway Constructor.  I am pretty certain he drew all the buildings for Dent?

I was fortunate enough to see the Little Long Drag a couple of times including at about the furthest it got towards completion.  I was truely stunning watching 10 coach trains whizzing through Dent and Kirby Stephen (they were finished and nearly finished respectively - Garsdale Rd was not) and then not reappearing again for a very long time indeed.  It is a shame he lost his mojo on finishing it.

• RMweb Gold

I definitely wouldn't say it looks like "junk", Mike. Looks like a good rendition of the shell of Dent station to me!

I agree, it looks very good indeed.

How do you get into the waiting room - climb through a window (is that the deliberate mistake?)....

I think the windows have been cut to platform level, but easy to do, and fairly easy to fix.

The tunnel portal is excellent, a real inspiration. Looking forward to seeing more.

Hi Jeff and all,

Almost right on the deliberate mistake Jeff... I carried the window openings down to floor level, a sort of 19th century patio door idea I suppose. I have put it right now.

Done a bit more on the tunnel portal and will upload a few pic's later. The sun was out this morning so did a bit more on the rebuild before tackling the tunnel, so not a lot of modelling today.

Cheers

mike

Edited by mike61680

That looks rather fine and the whole of Dent does of course make a very modelable location.

I take it you have David Jenkinsons's various articles on his layout; from the 1950's onwards and predominantly in the Model Railway Constructor.  I am pretty certain he drew all the buildings for Dent?

I was fortunate enough to see the Little Long Drag a couple of times including at about the furthest it got towards completion.  I was truely stunning watching 10 coach trains whizzing through Dent and Kirby Stephen (they were finished and nearly finished respectively - Garsdale Rd was not) and then not reappearing again for a very long time indeed.  It is a shame he lost his mojo on finishing it.

No unfortunately I don't have any MRC articles, if anyone knows which issues they are in I may be able to source them from our club shop or at exhibitions. I have copies of Railway Modeller going back to the 70's but no index.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

Just wanted to let you know that I am very impressed by your rendition of the station building there, it certainly looks good to me!

Being doubtful of my own scratch building skills (model buildings have never been my strong point!), I took the easy option and bought 'Dent' from Hornby Scaledale but I've never really studied it, yet!

Your plans are very inspiring and I will be following this with as much enjoyment as over on the "Lunesiders" thread!

Cheers,

John E.

PS 'Dent in P4' is definitely only dormant!

Hi all,

Cheers John E. The Lunesiders is a welcome light relief in an otherwise world of 'doom and gloom' - That's my Private Fraser impression !

As promised here are today's offerings, a bit sparce on content due the rare appearance of that bright yellow thing in the sky which tempted me to get on my roof and do some finishing touches.

I have completed the portal ring and abutment columns, I've also added some lighter stonework to the parapet, I confess I'm not sure if its actually stone or brick on the prototype as the only picture I have for reference is becoming blurred when I magnify it. Anyone know for certain ? (Rise Hill Tunnel)

post-5296-0-58715600-1356898314.jpg

post-5296-0-69616700-1356898331.jpg

And just for a bit of fun...

The oldest loco' in my collection just right for the S&C

post-5296-0-67534300-1356898365.jpg

post-5296-0-19099600-1356898385.jpg

As its New Years Eve tomorrow I'm not sure if much progress will be made, if I don't get back before 'the bells' hope you all have a great new year, best wishes.

Mike

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Nice work on the tunnel, Mike. And your last set of photos has reminded me to fit a stone "inner" inside the portal ring (as it heads into the tunnel) of my Blea Moor-inspired fascia.

All the best for 2013 - I think the S&C layouts are going to come on in leaps and bounds!

Jeff

Hi all,

As suspected got no modelling done today, had a frightening scare with the love of my live so an emergency visit to the vet was the order of the day, panic over thankfully.

Jeff,

Re: Tunnelmouth, yes I will be adding an inner lining probably the full width of a Slaters sheet once the facsia is complete, going now to cast some rain chanelling steps (no idea what the correct term is) and thats it for today. They are not as complicated as those on Kirkby Luneside I'm glad to say.

Best wishes to all for 2013

Cheers

Mike

Hi all,

Managed to do a bit more on Rise Hill tunnel, south portal today, I'm having to guestimate a bit on the detail as my only decent photo is a little distant. I don't think its far off - I hope so anyway.

Some shot's of todays progress...

post-5296-0-29354100-1357062455.jpg

post-5296-0-59262400-1357062472.jpg

post-5296-0-32785400-1357062489.jpg

post-5296-0-36980200-1357062504.jpg

post-5296-0-67844000-1357062522.jpg

post-5296-0-59331000-1357062538.jpg

post-5296-0-57189700-1357062553.jpg

That's it for today, another shift tomorrow should see the structure completed, then a lick of paint here and there in readiness to be placed on the non-existant baseboard - at present!

Cheers

Mike

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike.

The rain-channelling steps look very effective. What did you use to build the steps - it looks as if you cast them in polyfilla. Bit quicker than the "plywood faff" I went through.

Nice job. Now all you need is a baseboard! I know the feeling well - my portal (not quite finished or painted) is pining for a hillside!

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Hi Jeff,

I cast my steps in resin from a butchered triang footbridge, I tried in vain to find steps 'off the shelf' for Bermuda Road then the eureka moment came and I made a mould from which I can produce a 65mm length as required. You had almost completed your steps before I saw them or I could have offered you some casts and saved you a lot of grief, I tried that method years ago and gave up through boredom.

Cheers

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

I cast my steps in resin from a butchered triang footbridge, I tried in vain to find steps 'off the shelf' for Bermuda Road then the eureka moment came and I made a mould from which I can produce a 65mm length as required. You had almost completed your steps before I saw them or I could have offered you some casts and saved you a lot of grief, I tried that method years ago and gave up through boredom.

Cheers

Mike

You made me laugh. Cutting the 2mm ply was a bit tedious, but it was easier than hacking the 3mm MDF I used to make some of the steps in my old layout.

The (not very good) picture shows a little girl climbing up one set of steps. It's a boring method, but it works in the end!

post-13778-0-88878600-1357073597_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 3

I'm really enjoying seeing your progress and fine work. I presume you have a copy of Jenkinson's Historical Railway Modelling? Although I never met him as a teenager I loved reading of his work on his layouts in the Railway Modeller. He wrote so well and I was genuinely shocked and saddened when he died long before his time.

Years later when I visited Knaresborough I tried (in vain) to work out which house had been his with the 7mm garden system overlooking the river and the viaduct.

You made me laugh. Cutting the 2mm ply was a bit tedious, but it was easier than hacking the 3mm MDF I used to make some of the steps in my old layout.

The (not very good) picture shows a little girl climbing up one set of steps. It's a boring method, but it works in the end!

attachicon.gif100_1526.JPG

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Steps look pretty good to me considering how tedious it must have been. Its not a critisism but for future reference; on public stairways and private homes there should be no more than 16 steps before a landing is provided, to break the fall if your a poor unfortunate or give you a break if your just knackered! Older stairways may have a few more but the principle is the same. The pitch also changes to a shallower angle for public stairs. There are of course exceptions to the rule.

Is this layout now history or is it lurking somewhere.

Cheers

Mike

I'm really enjoying seeing your progress and fine work. I presume you have a copy of Jenkinson's Historical Railway Modelling? Although I never met him as a teenager I loved reading of his work on his layouts in the Railway Modeller. He wrote so well and I was genuinely shocked and saddened when he died long before his time.

Years later when I visited Knaresborough I tried (in vain) to work out which house had been his with the 7mm garden system overlooking the river and the viaduct.

Hi Anglian,

No I don't have that book but will look for it on Amazon/Ebay. if I get chance I will look through my oldest Modellers to find any of his articles, I tried to find an index for RM but no success to date, I vaguely remember some of his articles and of course I do have a copy of 'rails in the fells'. He is sadly missed I agree.

Cheers and thanks for your comments.

Mike

Hi Anglian,

No I don't have that book but will look for it on Amazon/Ebay. if I get chance I will look through my oldest Modellers to find any of his articles, I tried to find an index for RM but no success to date, I vaguely remember some of his articles and of course I do have a copy of 'rails in the fells'. He is sadly missed I agree.

Mike

Hi Mike

Funnily enough I've just been up the attic to fetch my "David Jenkinson" file with all his layouts in, I can do a list of them and either PM you or post it here if you wish. It will be sometime towards the weekend though.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Steps look pretty good to me considering how tedious it must have been. Its not a critisism but for future reference; on public stairways and private homes there should be no more than 16 steps before a landing is provided, to break the fall if your a poor unfortunate or give you a break if your just knackered! Older stairways may have a few more but the principle is the same. The pitch also changes to a shallower angle for public stairs. There are of course exceptions to the rule.

Is this layout now history or is it lurking somewhere.

Cheers

Mike

The layout is still in a spare bedroom, but I'm gradually ripping it to bits. A continuous run of track still exists - I'd removed the track bus, but have temporarily re-instated it to allow testing of a couple of new locos. Hope to have the scenics skipped by the end of February. Unfortunately, there's quite a lot of stuff to chuck out - so it'll take time.

All the RTP buildings are now packaged away - scratchbuilding is so much better. And thanks for the info on the steps - I never knew the "16 step rule"!

Jeff

David J. sent me a very good book for Xmas 2001 entitled  'Historical Railway Modelling' (Pendragon 2001). It is chock full of layout drawings and photos pertaining to the S&C.

On the subject of his books, David was at ours one day and when he popped to the bathroom someone jokingly suggested I get him to sign all my books for 'added value'. Poor feller ended up signing some really raggy ass'ed working volumes covered in soldering iron burns and paint....

Edited by coachmann

Hi Anglian,

Mike

Mike

You must buy it. It's DJ at his most lucid and I can only think that you would absolutely love it. I seem to recall 1976 was a good year for his RM articles. On a related issue does anybody know how many issues his Modeller's Back Track ran for? I have the very first issue but would enjoy reading more about Neil Corner's Lonsdale, designed by DJ. 

Modeller's Backtrack ran for 4 volumes 1991/2 to 1994/5 - I have the full set (treasured possessions). As well as Vol1 No.1, Lonsdale also appeared to Vol1 No.2 but it appears that was it.

I also have RM April 1970 (Garsdale Road), Feb 1966 (Modelling the S&C - planning 'Dent Head Junction') as well as Historical Railway Modelling and Rails in the Fells. All inspirational stuff!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mike, re. "Historical Railway Modelling"....

Following the "rave" reviews on here I went onto amazon - plenty of copies available in a range of conditions, from about £5 upwards. I've ordered myself a copy and look forward to reading it.

Jeff

Hi Mike

Funnily enough I've just been up the attic to fetch my "David Jenkinson" file with all his layouts in, I can do a list of them and either PM you or post it here if you wish. It will be sometime towards the weekend though.

Ian

Hi Ian,

If its ok with you please post it here I'm sure others will appreciate it, I certainly will.

Many thanks

Mike

David J. sent me a very good book for Xmas 2001 entitled  'Historical Railway Modelling' (Pendragon 2001). It is chock full of layout drawings and photos pertaining to the S&C.

On the subject of his books, David was at ours one day and when he popped to the bathroom someone jokingly suggested I get him to sign all my books for 'added value'. Poor feller ended up signing some really raggy ass'ed working volumes covered in soldering iron burns and paint....

At least he would have known you made good use of them.

Cheers

Mike

• Like 1

Mike

You must buy it. It's DJ at his most lucid and I can only think that you would absolutely love it. I seem to recall 1976 was a good year for his RM articles. On a related issue does anybody know how many issues his Modeller's Back Track ran for? I have the very first issue but would enjoy reading more about Neil Corner's Lonsdale, designed by DJ. 

Ok Ok I've bought it, good god the pressure. I'm surprised that I have not come accross it in the past, I don't even recognise the cover.

Cheers

Mike

Modeller's Backtrack ran for 4 volumes 1991/2 to 1994/5 - I have the full set (treasured possessions). As well as Vol1 No.1, Lonsdale also appeared to Vol1 No.2 but it appears that was it.

I also have RM April 1970 (Garsdale Road), Feb 1966 (Modelling the S&C - planning 'Dent Head Junction') as well as Historical Railway Modelling and Rails in the Fells. All inspirational stuff!

I don't have Modellers back track and my RM collection dates from 1974-2000 inclusive, I got tired of it then.

Cheers

mike