Heljan LNER Tango 2-8-0

mardle

Hint to manufacturer: if you want it to be kept a surprise for the opening don't put the posters on clear display of several hundred exhibitors/traders. :P

The same info will come out as a news post tomorrow so that information appears in the correct places.

If anyone else knows what was on the posters please keep it quiet until tomorrow.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

FYI, I always understood a K3 was a known as a "Tango" on account of their rough ride

Sorry, but I think you are mistaken - O2s WERE known as Tangos (due to the ringing noise the motion sometimes made I believe, but would have to check). K3s were known as 'Jazzers' due to their lively ride; similarly the ex GN K1s and K2s were known as 'Ragtimers'.

I WOULD cancel my order for an O1 and wait for an O2 in preference, but the shop rang me the other day to say they've got an O1 put aside for me!

Great news, I will certainly be getting one.

This also begs the question about an LNER Garrett.

From memory the LNER Garratt used two class 02 2-8-0 chassis back to back on the insistence of Nigel Gresley, much to the annoyance of Beyer Peacock.

Sorry - whats a tango?

Phil

Phil,

It's a proper Gresley engine first introduced in 1913 on the GNR. I too have resisted investing in previous rtr ex LNER 2-8-0s (this despite heavy discounting on the ex GCR version recently and, of course the new Hornby O1) but could be tempted by one of these ;-)

Regards,

• Like 1

Major whoopee here. Asked the very affable Heljan folk would they be offering the GNR pattern tender, and the answer was that they hope to make it in the versions that people particularly want.

... The lner forum says that the 02 use the same valvegear as the u1, does this include axlespacing? Could the u1 be made from parts of this, knowing hj and one off locos?

The U1 chassis going from the engines end have the leading truck axle / cylinder / front 2 coupled axles at the same positions as the O2, then the 3 and 4th coupled axle centres at 5'8.5" spacing, instead of 6' as on the O2. More than close enough for using the chassis for a DIY job, one would imagine a new block casting would be made for a RTR model; whels and much of the motion would 'carry over'. So maybe one day soon every LNER/ER layout will groan under the weightiness...

Sorry - whats a tango?

A fizzy soft drink which was the focus of a notorious advertising campaign many years ago. I think it involved people being lightly assaulted by various orange-coloured clowns after swigging the stuff.

See also "You've been Tango'd", etc.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1