Thai and Malay models

E3109

Ok as I said the other day, here are (some of) the detail pics of the 158T.

I've had to compromise because as I said earlier, my laptop disc drive isn't working. So I put them on the TV DVD player, then photographed the TV image.

That's why a chandelier is reflected in some of the photos! 

Also, the roof pics shown here are only of the driving end. I have two discs and I know the other one has the inner end roof detail, but it won't play! 

Incidentally, the intermediate (non-driving) cars have a similar roof layout.

These photos are from 2006, when the fleet was still in original livery and, presumably, original internal state.

Cheers

E3109

post-10566-0-58702900-1503202362.jpg

post-10566-0-47084000-1503202375_thumb.jpg

post-10566-0-24962300-1503202392_thumb.jpg

post-10566-0-40416000-1503202406_thumb.jpg

post-10566-0-13244900-1503202420_thumb.jpg

post-10566-0-82945400-1503202430_thumb.jpg

Edited by E3109
  • Like 5

Incidentally, the only cars still in original livery are the out-of-use/collision-damaged demics round the back of Makkasan, in the works 'jungle'.

Some or all of these will return to service eventually.

SRT have a habit of rough shunting, and extruded aluminium sections, as used on 158s, don't take too kindly to it...

Here's one of the Makkasan 'knackers', pictured late 2013.

post-10566-0-05399800-1503203230_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Ok as I said the other day, here are (some of) the detail pics of the 158T.

I've had to compromise because as I said earlier, my laptop disc drive isn't working. So I put them on the TV DVD player, then photographed the TV image.

That's why a chandelier is reflected in some of the photos! 

Also, the roof pics shown here are only of the driving end. I have two discs and I know the other one has the inner end roof detail, but it won't play! 

Incidentally, the intermediate (non-driving) cars have a similar roof layout.

These photos are from 2006, when the fleet was still in original livery and, presumably, original internal state.

Cheers

E3109

Many thanks, I will post the link to the guy I have contacted via Shapeways

No worries, Wim.

If you look at the bottom picture on post no. 51, you can make out two roof grilles at the far end of the vehicle, one is circular and one is rectangular.

I'll try again to get the other cd to play, later in the week, as it does show these in greater detail. 

E3109

• 5 weeks later...

Just to let people know, Charlie Macginnis has now posted up his model of the Thai 158 Sprinter on the Shapeways site

https://www.shapeways.com/product/AZ7WKZCWH/srt-brel-158-thailand

This is to 3mm Scale, but I'm sure if you ask nicely he will resize to other scales. His other 158s were all originally for N scale

• Like 1

You would need to contact Charlie. If you go to the Shapeways site, create yourself an account (to access their internal messaging system) then follow the link I gave earlier you should see a route to contact him.

• 1 month later...

While idly looking at YouTube clips I came across this one taken at Nakhon Lampang. Interesting because it contains an old Davenport still in use as a shunter while at the end a train pulls in with the latest first class sleeper coaches in it.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A bit more progress on the layout to report. I'm trying to create a market like the night market at Ratchada (https://www.justgola.com/media/a/00/12/77391_og_1.jpeg) and I've figured out how to vacuum form the canopies of the stalls.

post-14223-0-92098300-1516353744_thumb.jpg

The process is described in more detail on my blog

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/2240/entry-20380-vacuum-cleaner-and-hot-air-gun-the-saga-continues/

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of doing a small Indonesian shunting layout. Given the population of countries in this part of the world, lots and lots of people all over the place would seem appropriate. But - when you look at model "people" from main manufacturers, they are of big build, quite inappropriate for such settings.

Any ideas about more realistic people? I'm using 00 gauge track to represent 3'6'", thus close enough to 5mm = 1ft scale......

Would this be too tall an order, does anyone think?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jhb171achil said:

I'm thinking of doing a small Indonesian shunting layout. Given the population of countries in this part of the world, lots and lots of people all over the place would seem appropriate. But - when you look at model "people" from main manufacturers, they are of big build, quite inappropriate for such settings.

Any ideas about more realistic people? I'm using 00 gauge track to represent 3'6'", thus close enough to 5mm = 1ft scale......

Would this be too tall an order, does anyone think?

That would be 'S' scale, 1/64. Check out the Chinese figures on e-bay. They come in bulk packs painted or unpainted in a variety of scales. Also there are plenty of road vehicles in 1/64 scale.

• Like 1

On 30/01/2021 at 23:48, PhilJ W said:

That would be 'S' scale, 1/64. Check out the Chinese figures on e-bay. They come in bulk packs painted or unpainted in a variety of scales. Also there are plenty of road vehicles in 1/64 scale.

Didn't know about "S" scale!

Checked out vehicles - yes - several that will fit the bill nicely, but no people. I'll keep looking!

Another thing, of course, is realistic banana palm trees. You can get models of crude toy-like ones with very gaudy green plastic leaves, but I wonder is there any scenery supplier that does realistic looking trees of that type, as seen all over south-east Asia?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jhb171achil said:

Another thing, of course, is realistic banana palm trees. You can get models of crude toy-like ones with very gaudy green plastic leaves, but I wonder is there any scenery supplier that does realistic looking trees of that type, as seen all over south-east Asia?

If there is I've not found one.

The best I have managed is to take the banana trees from The Museum Models Collection and abuse them. These are a hard plastic - in a most unnatural green - and are a selection of three and four leaf sprues that need to be stacked together. Being hard plastic though they can be deformed using a hot air gun, mine is from Black and Decker and is meant for paint stripping. You can get the leaves to droop more before assembly. A coat of a more acceptable green paint and you get something that is acceptable for single plants. Might not be so good for a plantation though.

20210205_145221.jpg.ac881c675e99e07bb7305226bd35b716.jpg

• Like 2

I've built a scenic section of rice terraces for my AsiaNRail modules and put some banana trees on it. The first photo shows a closeup of one of these next to an N scale train. I need to take a few more showing the grove at the top of the scene.

These came from the Scalerama range and were offered in a few different sizes (photo 2 shows the 60mm package and sample). Unfortunately, the link to their website <scalerama.com/xe/home> does not seem to be working. 

There are also the Pegasus 1:72 scale banana trees (photos 3 and 4) that are very similar. There are several sources online - mainly focused on the wargaming crowd - that should be able to supply these.

Rice Terraces.jpg

Banana Trees 60mm.jpg

Pegasus Banana Trees Package.jpg

ehobbies (Pegasus) Banana Trees.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1