Turntable

55F

I have installed a Peco turntable and motorised it but despite my best efforts [i am not an engineer!] the bridge is not precisely level and tilts slightly with the weight of some locos. Whilst some locos will enter and leave satisfactorily [just], others are faced with a 'step up' at which they falter.

Does anybody have any suggestions, including suggestions of alternative turntables or anyone who builds to order.

Any help/advice will, as usual, be appreciated.

I imagine the pit has not been assembled level. I've built 3 of these and not had a problem. The 3 piece pit really neds to be assembled upside down on a large flat surface and left for 24hrs.

As for alternatives. Heljan do a DCC one at around £225. The same one is available from Walthers, non DCC at $40.98 + $18.98 for motor( shipping is $6.95 + 20% of order) These have a one piece pit. Metalsmiths do several versions in etched brass and machined PCB, with pit and motorizing, it will set you back around £200(they can assemble for you, but this bumps the price further) Also SEF do one, but not seen one of these.

Agreed, it's getting the pit made up as a 'right cylinder' that's crucial. I had to get a replacement segment from Peco, because in the kit I purchased one piece was distorted to the point that I couldn't get a good assembly exactly as JZ describes.

One suggestion with your present TT. If this is installed as a single road unit - no fan of tracks entering or leaving, just one route - then there will probably be one plane through the cylinder which is right. Rotating the pit relative to the track to find this plane may deliver the required performance.

Archived