Stephen Fay’s diorama builds. GCR Kirton Lindsey tunnel

steve fay

Made up a basic framework for Marches road today,  it will get plenty of extra bracing once the Intentio Model Railways inspection pits are installed, I have a pair here already but I need another 6.  
The raised section for the coaling stage has been made and this will get clad in play and then with brick.  There will be a brick arch retaining wall on the midland side but only about half way currently displayed by a track box.  A small oil tank and the siding alongside to display a few oil tanks if it was so desired, on the road where the king is next to the coaling road will be an ideal place for a few 16 ton minerals and there will be a small yard crane included just like the one on Aberpandy. 
This project should be done by the end of August, 6’ x 3’ I will be making Legs and a lighting plinth including a 4’ LED light strip, The boards will separate by the coaling stage making two boards for ease of transportation. 42” x 36” & 30” x 36” 
The track will be hand laid using C&L components and the shed yard will be my usual filth and grime with plenty of details like water cranes, buffer stops and shed clutter to add

CBE34435-4AA4-4DF7-A659-58074EE44C7C.jpeg

E6457970-A654-4060-90A3-7E3B29F584A8.jpeg

• Like 8

Summer of 1966 and there’s an unusual sound at Creechly the quiet has been shattered by the rumble of Diesel Hydraulic D6334 as it heads through the station after a weekend work party to pick up a track recovery train.  Soon this will be all gone!

EA0B151A-D7E2-4DD9-ABAB-880AFE0D18F5.png

• Like 11

Hot on the heels of Creechly and my dad is back at it with a version of Midsomer Norton 
Not sure of full dimensions just yet but I’d like to introduce Norton SaintSomer, same MO as before scratch built buildings etc and I’ll take over for scenics and ballast etc

46E789FC-1B20-4753-8F8C-6AF1FE8B5708.png

• Like 4

• steve fay changed the title to Stephen Fay’s layouts and diorama’s Maple Road and Kemys Fawr junction are currently in the latest Model Rail Great British Model Railway’s supplement

The recycled building from Bath road has had a few embellishments added left over from my recent signal box build, the cream still needs a a few more coats before the glazing is added. 
The midland side is getting an extension as the customer wants an L shaped layout to do a little shunting 

B0DA47B1-A7FC-44E8-99C9-0D212BE312E9.jpeg

891BEB12-74EC-45C7-9FAE-7956C61CC2E2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Cracking stuff. Are the fancy named train headboards the old Warren Shephard ones? Ive got an unpainted etch and thought i might be able to graft on some Sankeys crests I had blown up to 7mm but I'm not convinced it will work.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, steve fay said:

As I guess this is my work bench thread here’s my new Lionheart 45xx Severnmill plates to complete 

2ABAF14C-DF38-4A3C-B6FB-08F7FA01DEB0.png

E882B007-92AA-4869-A04B-5480DE64DA9F.png

Very nice. I've stopped dithering and ordered as they are already running low but I might still change to the longer valance one. Is the cab front a plastic insert given there are a couple of types? I'd like to have a go at sanding off the porthole blanks ideally. As they were always grotty i wouldn't have to exactly colour match there.