Rockvilla, Glasgow

Guest 40-something

Guest 30-something

I'd like to introduce my plan for the 2010 Challenge.

Rockvilla is set in North Glasgow in the post-steam/pre-tops era and comprises an island station and a goods yard, surrounded by retaining walls, overbridges and industrial buildings.

The layout will use Peco code 75 trackwork and be DCC controlled via a Bachmann Dynamis.

Total size is 80in by 15in, apologies for the rough nature of the sketch!

I hope to update the progress regularly with photographs

Any comments are more than welcome.

Regards

Joe

post-6924-12620275503395_thumb.jpg

Guest 30-something

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated

Nice plan Joe, shades of the L&D round about Dalmarnock. smile.gif

Dave.

Im still making my mind up as to whether base the location on the CR Hamiltonhill Branch after it branches from the L&D at Possil Junction or the NBR Dumbarton & Helensburgh Line in Possil.

As an aside I will model the station area at a slightly different, probably lower, height than the goods yard, just for visual effect, with a seperate storage yard for each.

Still at the planning stage although I hope to have the baseboards built, trackwork laid and electrics fitted and tested by the end of January.

Regards

Joe

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 30-something

Hi All Thought I would give an update.

I've recently been working on the supposed history of the model, first I'd like to let you know a little about the real history.

The Caledonian Railway opened the Hamiltonhill branch in 1894 from Balornock Junction on the Glasgow & Garnkirk Railway (later taken over by the Caledonian Railway) and ran through North Glasgow via Stobhill and Springburn Park to the proposed Hamiltonhill Goods Depot. In 1895 a branch to the Sarcacen Foundry was opened, however the latter was forced to close due to being in breach of a formal agreement the North British Railway had with the Foundry. There is some debate as to whether Hamiltonhill Good Depot actually materialised, although it does show up on some early maps. The Hamiltonhill Branch from Possil Junction closed very early, possibly as early as 1904.

The Lanarkshire & Dunbartonshire Railway (also taken over by the Caledonian Railway) extended the branch from Possil Junction towards the west, gaining eventual access to Balloch. The section of line from Stobcross to Balornock Junction closed completely in 1964.

I've gathered this information from a number of websites - Railscot and Wikipedia in the main, if anyone has any more info I'd love to hear it. The alternative reality is thus..

Assuming the Hamiltonhill Goods Depot actually opened and remained so, the CR extended the branch to Speirs Wharf to link up with its own Port Dundas Branch, serving the various industries alongside the Forth & Clyde Canal. Further branches from this line were provided westwards to Western Saw Mills and Firhill Iron works at the canals Firhill Basin and eastwards to Possil Park Engine Works in Possil Park. Additional small goods yards were provided at Possil Park and Rockvilla. Realising the potential passenger traffic that could be generated by the rapidly expanding North Glasgow area, the CR built stations at Ashfield (Possil Junction), Possil Park South and, Rockvilla (Possil Road).

Further expansion saw the CR build the Buchanan Street extension, branching off from Speirs Wharf Junction, running alongside Craighall Road and diving under the Dundashill Distillery and the Forth & Clyde Canal, emerging in a cutting behind Mid Wharf Street and running under Canal Street to gain access to the station throat at Buchanan Street Station. Once this extension was built, a station was opened at Speirs Wharf (Craighall Road), thereby providing a circuitous route from Buchanan Street Station to Glasgow Central Station via North Glasgow, the East End of Glasgow and Rutherglen. With the closure of Buchanan Street station in 1966, the Hamiltonhill Branch was cut back to Rockvilla.

Having looked at old maps (reprints from Alan Godfrey) and going over the route on Google Street View, plus local knowledge I think the alternative history could have been possible.

Ive attached a much simplified route plan to make some sense of the above ramblings.

Now to work on the baseboards...

post-6924-12631461842349_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest 30-something

Quick update folks

All trackwork is down and all electrics are in place. The trackplan has changed a bit from the original plan, I've simplified it a bit.

Im just testing the operation of the hidden magnets for the kadees then I'll be ready to plot building/structure outlines.

I'll be posting pics soon!

Cheers

Joe

Guest 30-something

Spent a bit of time tonight fine tuning the kadees and getting them all the same height.

In order for them to work correctly I found I had to angle the NEM pocket to the right slightly so that the couplers would seperate in opposing directions when over the magnets (Im using Kadee #308 magnets).

I've set a standard height for the couplings - the benchmark is a Bachmann Class 25, the 12t vans and 20t brakes (all Bachmann) have the couplers at the same height as the 25 but the 16t minerals I have (Bachmann again) are a couple of mm too high. Inserting some card between the wagon floor and the coupler box has sorted that out!

I also discovered how to dismantle the 12t vans in the process, which means adding weight will be much easier to do now!

I'll post pics when I get my camera working again!

I just need to sort out a couple of electrical niggles then it'll be time for the scenics to begin!

Guest 30-something

Couple of more photos folks...

Photo 1 shows the complete layout from the fiddle yard end showing the sector plate and 2 goods sidings.

post-6924-126797639374_thumb.jpg

I plan to move the siding on the left to the edge of the baseboard by a couple of inches, this will eventually have a loading dock with a large factory frontage, Im also cutting the siding back by about 6 inches

The siding on the right will have a retaining wall to the right of it and the siding will enter a factory building for the last 9 inches of its length

The short siding at the top of the photo will feature a coal merchant building. The single platform will be to the right of the 2nd from the right running line which will be backed with a retaining wall.

I plan to do mock ups of all the structures this week coming and will post photos when done

Cheers

Joe

• 3 months later...
Guest 30-something

Hi Folks

Its been a while since I posted any updates, so I thought now is as good a time as any!

The past few weeks have seen the installation of retaining walls, bridge abutments etc and today some ballasting, I thought I'd attach a few pics to show the progress.

Photo 1 is the view from the overbridges towards the station and coal siding, the platform will be on the right. The ballast is just placed in postition and will be glued down over the weekend

post-6924-127627498928_thumb.jpg

Photo 2 is the view in the opposite direction, towards the factory sidings and sector plate

post-6924-127627523126_thumb.jpg

Photo 3 is the overall view of the factory sidings, nothing much has been done here yet, Im still trying to figure out what to do, although there will be a loading dock on the left siding

post-6924-127627535685_thumb.jpg

Photo 4 is the view from the factory sidings toward the station area

post-6924-127627538176_thumb.jpg

Photo 5 is the view of the sector plate which is hidden underneath what will be a car garage and wasteland

post-6924-127627546561_thumb.jpg

More updates as and when!!!

Any comments or suggestions appreciated

Archived