Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

Hello everyone,

Well, here is what is on my (virtual) Work bench.

Back in about 2008, I started a blog but I hadn't updated it since 2011. That is for the simple reason that I forgot how to get into it so all I could do was start again. Below is the link to the new site. It has been reformatted, has some edits and new bits and now includes future appearances for Ashburton and Totnes.

Hope you enjoy it.

http://ashburton-and-totnes.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/ashburton-and-totnes.html#more

Best wishes,

John

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Having got the blue 08 finished I thought I would give an 04 another try. A second 2mmSA chassis built worked no better than the first until I made up and fitted a second set of wheels. It now seems the original set of wheels have a few issues I hadn't spotted...... The etched balance weights to make them look a bit more 04 like have yet to be added to the newer wheels. The wheel bosses stand too proud to be able to fit the alternative etched 04 wheel overlays.

I have again used another of the ebay coreless can's. Great value for those that managed to get some. With an internal body width of 8.5mm there is space to again sit a CT DCX76 on top of the motor, but perhaps not sufficient for those that would want to install a Zimo MX649 sound chip.

post-12706-0-35895900-1485422951.jpg

post-12706-0-51051000-1485422973.jpg

post-12706-0-59803400-1485422985.jpg

Although I know blue 04's weren't common the loco was acquired cheap a few years back because the main footplate casting was a bit poor around the steps area, so it was stripped and replacements from scrap N/S etch have been made. The buffer beams are the versions on the chassis etch without DG coupling slots because I use a lower height setting than most and will have to make the slots myself to suit.

Izzy

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Having got the blue 08 finished I thought I would give an 04 another try. A second 2mmSA chassis built worked no better than the first until I made up and fitted a second set of wheels. It now seems the original set of wheels have a few issues I hadn't spotted...... The etched balance weights to make them look a bit more 04 like have yet to be added to the newer wheels. The wheel bosses stand too proud to be able to fit the alternative etched 04 wheel overlays.

I have again used another of the ebay coreless can's. Great value for those that managed to get some. With an internal body width of 8.5mm there is space to again sit a CT DCX76 on top of the motor, but perhaps not sufficient for those that would want to install a Zimo MX649 sound chip.

attachicon.gifRMweb 04 01.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb 04 02.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb 04 03.jpg

Although I know blue 04's weren't common the loco was acquired cheap a few years back because the main footplate casting was a bit poor around the steps area, so it was stripped and replacements from scrap N/S etch have been made. The buffer beams are the versions on the chassis etch without DG coupling slots because I use a lower height setting than most and will have to make the slots myself to suit.

Izzy

Yes, Bob, it's me again!

Did you use the same slotted bearings/keeper plate method as you used on the 08?

David

• RMweb Premium

Yes, Bob, it's me again!

Did you use the same slotted bearings/keeper plate method as you used on the 08?

David

Hi David,

Yes, same basic design. Here's a view. Rods are now off as I'm fitting the wheel weights.

post-12706-0-97046700-1485531408.jpg

This shot has reminded me. Using smaller sized muffs, 3mm or 2.3mm is a distinct advantage over the 3.2mm size as there is very little clearance between the gears and muffs. I used a 14T imperial spur gear and 3.2mm on the original wheelsets and metric/3mm on the new ones. Apart from the geared axle I can't see why the smaller 2.3's wouldn't work - I used one on the flycranks - which would give even more clearance.

regards,

Bob

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I have been making the Cartazzi truck, or not, for Lord President.

The rear wheels on LP were, of course, steered using the Cartazzi principle; effectively a radial truck running in slides. No point in trying to emulate this in 2mm scale, so a Bissel truck has been made. These usually work best with as long an arm as possible which makes them similar in action to the Cartazzi.

I filed up a lump of copper tungsten and drilled two holes: for the pivot and the axle. It could have been made from brass, but this metal is denser.

2n71ibm.jpg

The back end was then filed out to make room for the axle muff.

35n31mp.jpg

The front half was then narrowed so that it would fit between the loco frames. The height was also reduced.

2rqc3l1.jpg

The astute amongst you will have noticed that we are heading for a slight problem with insulation, or rather a lack of it, for split axle wheels. So I recollected an old fashioned way that used to be used for insulating the wheels of Hornby Dublo three rail engines. Cut every other spoke and fill the gap with 24hr Araldite, cure, and then cut the remaining spokes and fill again, cure: end result - an insulated wheel.

I took a thin diamond slitting disc and slotted the truck down it's long axis. This was then filled with slow setting Araldite and cured under a lamp for a few hours. Once this was set a second 90 degree slot was cut at the end. This was opened out with a piercing saw blade into the cured Araldite to make sure that the slot had no metal in it bridging across. The slot was then filled again and left to cure on a flat nylon sheet. Some of this material was allowed to seep under the block which would then act to insulate the truck from the PCB spacer above it.

2s1k4cg.jpg

The pivot was made from a tube of brass, let in to the PCB spacer for support, and then soldered in place. It was tapped 12BA for the fixing screw.

xfzrig.jpg

The finished truck can be seen centred pbetween the frames.

24y7kg6.jpg

However, real engines go round real curves. To test this I have a scrap of 20" radius track (ex Chiltern Green) that is mounted on a bit of scruffy Sundeala board. I have had it for years and it allows me to examine closely the clearances of an engine on the miniumum radius.

2zsclkn.jpg

In particular, the hole in the middle allows me to check clearance between the frames, simply holding the whole assembly upside down.

55frl5.jpg

As can be seen the clearance is a bit tight, so I shall probably taper the frames a bit.

It's rather fun to re-use really old techniques to solve problems when constructing models. It certainly gives a nice solid and heavy truck, with less finger burning than soldering it up.

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Had quite a productive day today and made the outside frames of the Cartazzi truck.

dr6lqf.jpg

The whole assembly has to be electrically isolated from the body. There is a small gap to achieve this.

1zefspt.jpg

There is quite a lot going on in this area: reversing rod, ashpan support, ashpan and of course the steps and springs. It won't look right until all that is modelled. Whilst I have some just about acceptable castings for the tender springs, the Cartazzi box is much bigger and beefier. I might make a couple of styrene patterns and cast them.

f07u6c.jpg

Big old beasts, weren't they?

Tim

• Like 7

What's on my workbench? Everything by the looks of it!

fmp11i.jpg

About to embark on some pretty heavy (for me) scratchbuilding, I've been giving subtle hints out to family about what I might like for my fiftieth birthday. The drill stand, compound table and mock-Bergeon vice were all forthcoming; it helps not to be too subtle or you end up with socks and jigsaws. ;)

It all looks a bit pristine right now, but we'll soon put that to rights. You'll note there is still space for the coffee cup. :D

• Like 7

Where are the collections of bits for all those stalled projects, off cuts of various materials and other clutter or is it just me?

Don

He must be new to this game, he hasn't created any yet.

Hopefully your loved ones are savvy enough to notice there is no lathe present yet.

Chris

• Like 2

What's on my workbench? Everything by the looks of it!

-snip-

It all looks a bit pristine right now, but we'll soon put that to rights. You'll note there is still space for the coffee cup. :D

Which reminds me - isn't it about time we had an Association mug?  Or have I missed something??

Regards

Ian

Which reminds me - isn't it about time we had an Association mug?  Or have I missed something??

Regards

Ian

We did produce some a few years ago which had the 2mm logo on them (not fine bone china unfortunately). We also did some embroidered aprons, wall clocks, mouse mats and other promotional items.

I believe that some embroidered clothing (sweatshirts, polo shirts, etc) is planned, and we could probably do some more mugs if the demand was there.

Andy

Edited by 2mm Andy

We did produce some a few years ago which had the 2mm logo on them (not fine bone china unfortunately). We also did some embroidered aprons, wall clocks, mouse mats and other promotional items.

I believe that some embroidered clothing (sweatshirts, polo shirts, etc) is planned, and we could probably do some more mugs if the demand was there.

Andy

I have the apron. Very nice it is too.

Chris

Andy

I'm in for a poloshirt and a mug.  I can do without the apron - the wifes' fit perfectly and are mainly in pristine condition...

Well it COULD have been a 2mmSA mug - however it is to the same scale as the model under construction... (Part of a commission - back to my own modelling after 'work' tonight).  It also contains coffee - far too early in the day to consider tea.  I'm only halfway through my third 'perk' load (2 or 3 more to go...) :O

post-3469-0-63966300-1486041597_thumb.jpg