4052 Princess Beatrice 4/39
4053 Princess Alexandra 10/43
4055 Princess Sophia 5/45
4057 Princess Elizabeth 4/30
4059 Princess Patricia 8/44

I hope this is ok.

• Like 3

detail differences on this class here. http://gwr.org.uk/no-stars.html

Beware! claim 4000-10 were fitted with 'square drop' framing at the front, 4011 onward had the curved style. NO  - only 4000 fitted with square drop framing -all others fitted with curved frames from new. Looking at photo grey of 4002 as I type -  built with curved front and rear end.

Additional detail 4001/2 were built with different slide bars and not initially fitted with the vertical slide bar spacing bracket but were changed by 1909.

4002/8/9 were fitted with front foot steps as built -removed over time.

Cab footsteps - 4001-20 have the bottom section cut out - 4021 onwards do not.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 2

Thanks Mike. My mistake about the 'square drop' frames. (Brain a bit addled today - too much html!). Now corrected.

I'll add some additional notes about slidebars, and front and cab steps. (I can't imagine anyone getting too excited about the very early history though, and it's light years away from 'the Hornby look'.)

Btw, I've yet to find a picture showing a blanking plate on a previously-outside-piped smokebox when reverting to inside pipes, so I suspect the Stars, once they went outside-piped, did not go back. Unlike, e.g. Saints and Moguls. The cylinder change history of the Stars is complex, and I make no excuses for glossing over it!

• Like 2

Thanks Mike. My mistake about the 'square drop' frames. (Brain a bit addled today - too much html!). Now corrected.

I'll add some additional notes about slidebars, and front and cab steps. (I can't imagine anyone getting too excited about the very early history though, and it's light years away from 'the Hornby look'.)

Btw, I've yet to find a picture showing a blanking plate on a previously-outside-piped smokebox when reverting to inside pipes, so I suspect the Stars, once they went outside-piped, did not go back. Unlike, e.g. Saints and Moguls. The cylinder change history of the Stars is complex, and I make no excuses for glossing over it!

I thought it was a case of a smoke box from an outside piped loco being fitted to one with inside pipes. I do not know of an outside piped loco reverting to inside pipes.  I t would mean replacing a new style cylinder block with an older design. I cannot find a picture of  Star with a blanking plate.

Roger

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Unless Hornby are making a big boo boo and only making the one front end as Lode Star, then the BR 'Abbey' version should be fine for the rest of the class.

Mike Wiltshire

A bump for this thread to ask if using the BR version,could I rebrand the tender to G badge W post war livery and add the firebox lining.Would this be correct and I could then rename to a good selection.The only problem would be the smokebox number though.

• Like 2

A bump for this thread to ask if using the BR version,could I rebrand the tender to G badge W post war livery and add the firebox lining.Would this be correct and I could then rename to a good selection.The only problem would be the smokebox number though.

I will be doing just this (though with shirt button on tender). Touch of brake fluid to remove BR logo and HMRS transfers.. As for smokebox, based on others models I have altered, knife file/sand paper and repair damaged door hinge (usually with plasticard, paint and a touch of weathering and no one will know.

Alternative -which I have arranged for one of mine. I know someone who wants a Tintagel Castle with small tender (as it ran out of Newton Abbot in the early 30's). I will be exchanging my Star tender for Tintagel's so we both get what we want. Fixtures should be the same as it is the same chassis etc.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 3

Which name are you going for then Mike ?

4015 Knight of St. John as I have made the train including the artic diner set,  featured in David Geen's Great Western in the 30's.

4020 Knight Commander (just love the name)and it features several times in 'The Last Journey' ).

4057 as, based on the Great Western Journal articles, my grandfather is listed as driving it. (this will be the Hornby BR with large tender retro to late 30's).

4003 ordered from Steam - just to support them.

I have had a major clearout on eBay recently to fund them.

Total indulgence as I am already running kit built

4004 Morning Star (just love the name).

4038 Queen Berengaria (Westbury's finest).

4047 Princess Louise (after my wife's friend who bought me a Will's Castle kit that took a detour in shops and emerged as a Star).

At some point 4022 Belgian Monarch will happen (when someone makes or I specially order the plates), a Swindon engine, my grandfather drove many times and which, as a 12 year old, my father drove from Swindon to scout camp in Weston Super Mare.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 2

If I get one, it will become 4063 Bath Abbey as my layout is set in the early 1930's - before this one was rebuilt as a Castle under the same name; there will also be a measure of deference to the city in which I spent some of my teenage years and discovered how to be distracted from all manner of railway things.

At some point 4022 Belgian Monarch will happen (when someone makes or I specially order the plates), a Swindon engine, my grandfather drove many times and which, as a 12 year old, my father drove from Swindon to scout camp in Weston Super Mare.

Hi Mike,

Was your grandfather Frederick Wiltshire by any chance and brother to my great grandfather Ernest?

Regards

Matt

Hi Mike,

Was your grandfather Frederick Wiltshire by any chance and brother to my great grandfather Ernest?

Regards

Matt

Albert Wiltshire. His brother Norman was also at Swindon but they mentioned a related Ernest Wiltshire who was at Oxford shed. at some point.

Mike Wiltshire

Guest 838rapid

Thats a name from the Past,Norman Wiltshire was the reason I joined British Rail in 1988 ..

He lived just round the corner when I was a nipper. 

A Proper Gentleman,I saw his Wife and Daughter last time I was in Swindon.

• 3 weeks later...

Posted on Steam site

Lode Star Delivery Update

The Museum would like to thank all purchasers of our Hornby GWR 'Lode Star' 4003 for their patience regarding delivery of our latest model. The Museum has received information from Hornby predicting a June delivery date, and we would like to assure all customers that STEAM will do everything in its power to get your model couriered quickly and safely as soon as they arrive at our premises. The pre-production model on display at the Museum confirms this is a model of the highest accuracy and detail and will be worth the wait. Our Apologies once more for the delay.

Geoff Davies, STEAM Retail (May 2013)

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1

Posted on Steam site

Lode Star Delivery Update

The Museum would like to thank all purchasers of our Hornby GWR 'Lode Star' 4003 for their patience regarding delivery of our latest model. The Museum has received information from Hornby predicting a June delivery date, and we would like to assure all customers that STEAM will do everything in its power to get your model couriered quickly and safely as soon as they arrive at our premises. The pre-production model on display at the Museum confirms this is a model of the highest accuracy and detail and will be worth the wait. Our Apologies once more for the delay.

Geoff Davies, STEAM Retail (May 2013)

Mike Wiltshire

June? with Hornby involved, this year or next I wonder.......... :angel:

Edited by jwd

There is in the May issue of the Hornby magazine an advertisement of the Steam museum on page 138

you see the model on the side and close ups of the front and backhead, that i assume will be the

pre-production model they have, looks good, backhead many loose detail but not the standard of

Hornby's B-17 backhead, but pre-production does not say all, so could get better or ???? :dontknow:

Lets hope fore the better, but  separate smokedoor darts same tender as 28xx , sprung buffers?

Not very good to see but some little red above the footplate, could be a imitation of the inside motion ,

but don't be sure about that.

Ordered one myself , so hope it's gonne be stunning,hopefully mine obsevations will give a little help.

• RMweb Gold

There is in the May issue of the Hornby magazine an advertisement of the Steam museum on page 138

you see the model on the side and close ups of the front and backhead, that i assume will be the

pre-production model they have, looks good, backhead many loose detail but not the standard of

Hornby's B-17 backhead, but pre-production does not say all, so could get better or ???? :dontknow:

Lets hope fore the better, but  separate smokedoor darts same tender as 28xx , sprung buffers?

Not very good to see but some little red above the footplate, could be a imitation of the inside motion ,

but don't be sure about that.

Ordered one myself , so hope it's gonne be stunning,hopefully mine obsevations will give a little help.

I can't see any detail missing from the backhead in that picture - everything there and its proper place as far as I can see from just re-examining the advert.  The smokebox door handle is separate - or at least it is on the sample I saw in Steam some months back and basically this looks to be a pre-'Design Clever' model although we don't know until we see it what Hornby's new manufacturer will make of it of course.