Hornby Star Class

gwrrob

On 28/12/2020 at 13:51, Markn said:

Hi guys. Could I safely buy the new release and change the tender decal for a great crest western one, or would any other external details need changing to drag it back to the 20s? Thanks.

It depends when in the 1920's. The early 1920's Stars were in unlined green with GREAT WESTERN (no crest) on the tender. Coaching stock was all over Crimson lake. It took a while for the Fully lined with GREAT (Garter) WESTERN to appear from 1923 onwards, then replaced by GREAT (Twin shield) WESTERN during 1927 though the first Kings all appeared with GREAT (Garter) WESTERN. As always a trusted dated photograph is helpful as livery changes took a while to work through all the stock.

Mike Wiltshire

• Informative/Useful 3

• 2 months later...
On 30/12/2020 at 15:31, Harlequin said:

My brand new Lode Star has a lump in it's motion (cue Mr Williams). Every few revolutions of the drivers it goes "clunk clunk", the sound of the wheels bashing the track.

I've stripped it down and eliminated everything but the last two gears in the gear train* - the one on the driver axle and the one above it. I've examined the teeth on both and I can't see any that look different from any others. There are no bits of moulding scarf on the gears, which is what I was half expecting to find. When I move the chassis by hand with the motor disengaged from the gear train I can feel it jumping up at regular places as if riding over a lump on the track. The track is fine and just to make sure I've slid the chassis to another area of track where the same "lump" can still be felt in the same positions.

So my only conclusion is that both those gears are very slightly off-centre on their axles and when the off-centres line up the driver axle is pushed away (it can move because the plastic keeper plate can flex).

What do you think? Is that a reasonable diagnosis? Is this a known problem? Can you suggest a fix to get it to run smoothly?

(* I think I've eliminated everything but the gears.)

I've just got one from Bure Valley Models and it does the same and I'm puzzled.  On my rolling road it is noticeable at low speeds.  I don't think the driving wheels are eccentric or skew (using close observation and a cocktail stick as a run-out test-indicator).  There appears to be some slight binding at once per revolution but I can't identify the cause. It runs smoothly when turned upside down off the track.  I suspect the gears or perhaps a slightly bent axle but can't identify anything positively.  The screw holding weight which locates the drive pinion in place was loose so I wonder if some rough running of the gears had disturbed it.  I was wondering whether to send it back but it seems smooth enough when running on the layout.  Putting a DCC chip in it improved matters. 
How bad is bad?   I once bought one of the newer Hornby Duchesses and it was truly appalling when I put it on the rolling road just after I'd bought it.  It did a very good impression of a very heavy reciprocating hammer blow and just about shook itself off the rollers. No doubt there - back to the shop straight away. 
Anyhow, Lode Star isn't nearly as bad and I've decided to keep it (hope I don't regret it!)

Peterfgf

• Informative/Useful 1