Class 08 / 09 Variations

• RMweb Gold

One of the reasons for the reduction in speed of 08s was the number of shifted cranks that was occurring. It was about this time that the move from keyed cranks to interference fitted cranks occurred.

Regards

Al Taylor

Thanks for that. It seems that, along with the 09s, the SR had a continuing need for higher speed shunters. I don't really understand why the SR had this requirement though.

The SR needed to slot trip workings in between the commuter services and wanted the higher speeds to reduce the chances of delaying said commuter trains.

PCM also on these forums) relates how, as a shunter, one could tell the difference between an 08 and an 09 quite easily when one was hanging on to the front steps for dear life!

• RMweb Gold

I get that as the original reason, but was there really much trip working going on in the SR from the late 1970's onwards, that required 08s to go 5mph faster than all the rest? It's an obscure point of course and of no real importance, just my curiousity. 

I get that as the original reason, but was there really much trip working going on in the SR from the late 1970's onwards, that required 08s to go 5mph faster than all the rest? It's an obscure point of course and of no real importance, just my curiousity. 

The 1979 Shunter Duties booklet specifies which of the Southern Region duties were booked for a 09, there were 12 turns, they were:-

Ashford AF,   Dover Town, Dover Ferry Sdgs (2), Shepherdswell

Bournemouth BM,   Poole Yard, Bournemouth Station

Hither Green HG,   Hither Green PAD

Selhurst SU,   Clapham Jn, Waterloo, Woking (2), New Cross Gate CCE/Norwood No. 3

cheers

And remember, if you are modelling 08227 you will need to add your BR symbol transfer backwards in order to replicate the original (at least on one side).

post-4474-0-00004800-1401993212.jpg

Withdrawn 08227 in Thornton Junction yard 1st August 1985

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How did the variations of the 08/09 series affect internal cab fittings?

Regards

None that I ever noticed. The main thing that altered fittings was the type of brake the loco was fitted with. Air a DB fitted locos had more reservoirs and differences in brake handles than VB only ones. Some of the electrical bits and bobs on the back of the cab  could be found in fitted different positions as well, but that seemed to be a random thing.

Paul J.

Archived