Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling a traditional parcels train

SR CCT/PMV - BR CCT - LNER CCT (long)? - BR CCT - BR BG - ??GW?? - SR CCT/PMV - LMS GUV - BR GUV - 2 x SR CCT/PMV/ BY? - BR BG

If that's a long LNER CCT, it's a Parkside beast, as said above in this thread.  

I can't suss the vehicle with recessed doors without reference to Paul Bartlett's site,

The LMS GUV is another of the non-panelled diagram I think.  Didn't Jamie do one of these a year or so ago?

The pair of SR pattern vans at the rear look different to me, hence I think one may be a (Hornby) BY.

Yes a long LNER 4 wh CCT

I think the ??GW?? is an LMS fish van in stores livery - looks possibly dirty olive green http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsfish/e1d6f2cb2

Not sure about the final two 4 wheelers, the last appears to have SR profile, but the third from last doesn't - lower roof profile. Indeed I think one of the interesting feature of these different trains is how the profiles, both height and width vary so much.

Paul Bartlett

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The way to tell a Southern CCT (originally Covcar) from the visually very similar PMV (originally passenger luggage van) is the ends, of course. CCTs - Covered Carriage Truck - were designed with end doors to faciliate loading of carriages - as in horse and carriage. PMVs were not, so they have a large high central vent on the end, whereas the CCT has a total of four smaller vents per end, one above another on each of the pair of end doors.

• Like 1

Guest stuartp

As a further aside, when did bogie CCT's start being called GUV's?, confuses the hell out of me cos I call the Lima model the former and everyone else seems to call it the latter, even though 4 wheel CCT's still are CCT's

BR branded the standard ones GUVs from the beginning (I think)  although you could argue that having end doors technically makes them CCTs. There's a note in Larkin's " BR General Parcels Rolling Stock" where he's discussing a batch of vans built on ex-GER underframes; he notes that one variant had van sides, solid non-gangwayed ends and were branded 'GUV' "... making them about the only correctly-named vehicles of that class". I suppose giving them two distinct designations saves confusion when telegraphing instructions around - you'd be a bit stuck if you had a long one's worth of cars to move and a short one turned up.

Not sure about the final two 4 wheelers, the last appears to have SR profile, but the third from last doesn't - lower roof profile.

Is it a Beetle or similar SCV-type vehicle ?  Possibly a bit late for that though - Fruit D or something equally mundane ?

I love parcels trains me, that pic of the ex-ambulance LMS BG is a peach !

Edited by stuartp
  • Like 1

more? or should that be Moore :)

6920453879_1abf002996_b.jpg

44674 Moore 1.8.67 by George of Dufton, on Flickr

SR CCT/PMV - BR CCT - LNER CCT (long)? - BR CCT - BR BG - ??GW?? - SR CCT/PMV - LMS GUV - BR GUV - 2 x SR CCT/PMV/ BY? - BR BG

If that's a long LNER CCT, it's a Parkside beast, as said above in this thread.  

I can't suss the vehicle with recessed doors without reference to Paul Bartlett's site,

The LMS GUV is another of the non-panelled diagram I think.  Didn't Jamie do one of these a year or so ago?

The pair of SR pattern vans at the rear look different to me, hence I think one may be a (Hornby) BY.

That sixth vehicle looks to me like one of the LMS 6-wheel Stores Vans (ex Fish) as painted in olive green. (Edit) Available as a kit from Chivers.

Edited by Poor Old Bruce
  • Like 2

I've recently taken down last year's 'Steam World' calendar. The centre spread photo is a parcels train on the Copy Pit line in 1964. It shows a Black Five (the caption says it's an 8F but it ain't!) hauling:

SR CCT which may be dirty green

LMS Stove R in dirty maroon

SR Van C in dirt

BR Mk1 BG in clean Blue and Grey

BR GUV in maroon

Possibly a Fruit D but difficult to identify due to drifting steam

LMS 50ft BG in maroon

SE Van C in dirt

Unsure. Possibly a GWR BG in maroon

BR GUV

Most of these available RTR in 4mm

Adding the makers in 4mm:

SR CCT from Wrenn.

SR Van C from Hornby.

LMS Stove R from Hornby Magazine (with reservations about the underframe) or Comet Kit.

BR BG and GUV from Bachmann.

LMS BG from Bachmann or Hornby.

Fruit D from Dapol.

The next-to-last one I am unsure about could be substituted by another LMS 50ft BG. I am not fully au-fait with coaching stock kits so others may be available.

• Like 1

Is it a Beetle or similar SCV-type vehicle ?  Possibly a bit late for that though - Fruit D or something equally mundane ?

Quite possibly, certainly not too late, I photographed a couple of BR SCVs, and the SR style Horse boxes (as built by BR, one preserved at NRM) also survived later than this.

I also did think of Fruit D, but it looks a bit "fussy".

Paul Bartlett

Quite possibly, certainly not too late, I photographed a couple of BR SCVs, and the SR style Horse boxes (as built by BR, one preserved at NRM) also survived later than this.

I also did think of Fruit D, but it looks a bit "fussy".

Paul Bartlett

Might it be a Fruit C in 'ENPARTS' service? I've seen other photos of them in parcel trains, and the combination of two sets of doors, an X-bracing on the middle panel, coupled with the 'ENPARTS' label board, does make them look very 'fussy'.

the southern vans im glad you guys have answered some questions as they always confused me. expecially because of the Hornby bogie one, looking forward to the Bachmann pmv.

few more nice shots..

6850788484_07fc73ebfe_z.jpg
42546 Tebay North 4.6.66 by George of Dufton, on Flickr

6850787774_18897321b2_z.jpg
70032 Tebay North 8.9.67 by George of Dufton, on Flickr

6850787076_053776b88d_z.jpg
70045 Tebay North 8.9.67 by George of Dufton, on Flickr

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

There were a couple of GWR Beetles in the North West in the 60s. A friend of mine asked me if I could identify two vans in a parcels train passing through Preston behind a Duchess. I was surprised to instantly recognise what they were!

Roger

The SR BY in the last photo is fitted with a stove (hence the yellow door). I believe the yellow triangle indicates it is also fitted with a safe.

When I first read this I read it as Stove and CAFE............ :no:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Plymouth 06/03/1982

S.1419 (ply)

sat 24/04/1982

part pass part parcel

S.215

That's lovely.  I don't think we need a vehicle-by-vehicle on it, but what I take away from that picture is the common use of 12T vans in these workings.  Certainly far more than I assumed was the norm.

• RMweb Gold

That's lovely.  I don't think we need a vehicle-by-vehicle on it, but what I take away from that picture is the common use of 12T vans in these workings.  Certainly far more than I assumed was the norm.

A very LMR trait - for the simple reason that for years the LMR diagrammed more 'large' vans that it had vehicles to fill the diagrams.  It also tended to be continually out of balance on Inter-Regional parvan balances for exactly the same reason.

• Like 1

Like the two that ended up in a Kent orchard near Rainham one night many many years ago - having departed the rear of a down parcels train without anybody noticing until the Farmer phoned the following day asking if anybody was coming to collect them............

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

Like the two that ended up in a Kent orchard near Rainham one night many many years ago - having departed the rear of a down parcels train without anybody noticing until the Farmer phoned the following day asking if anybody was coming to collect them............

I know there were two incidents which involved Fruit D vans where one parked itself at the side of the track and the other ended up in an orchard. In both cases the train had divided and the crews just coupled up again and carried on, the errant vans only being noticed in daylight.

• Like 2

I know there were two incidents which involved Fruit D vans where one parked itself at the side of the track and the other ended up in an orchard. In both cases the train had divided and the crews just coupled up again and carried on, the errant vans only being noticed in daylight.

Ah!, I didn't know they were Fruit D's rather than vanfits - clearly this got lost in translation over the Courage Best   :no:

• Like 1

If ever proof was needed of the essential nature of the BR Standard CCT.

PS: my two Sunday night special (qv) Lima LMS GUV (bogie CCT) have arrived during the week.  Neither had any sign of prior use.  Bogies aside (and matters are in hand to deal with these), I am reminded what beautifully crisp, delightful mouldings the silver box team treated us to in the Eighties.  Thanks Lima!

• Like 3