Paisley St James Spaghetti, new shoots

Ian Smeeton

Hunting around the net for info(as you do). I call it research, mission Control has another phrase!!, I found this

https://www.facebook.com/paisleyoorweetoon/photos/p.528593163920389/528593163920389/?type=3&theater

I know that it is on Farcebook, and not all can connect, however, whether or not it can be made in 2 mm scale, I wonder.

Who was building a Model T Ford derived ralcar?

I understand from a friend who is in the Albion Museum Trust that what is left of the Albion engined shunter is in the Glasgow Museums Resource Centre.  the wooden cab has gone, but the rest is there.  He doubts very much that it will ever be on display at the Riverside Transport Museum!

Jim

Reading about this project brings back memories of St James signal box.

Also remember the trackbed of the Linwood branch from Blackstone Jct and a tall lattice post minus arm still extant there in the late 90s

As keepsake I have the Caley block to Blackstone in my possession.

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Reading about this project brings back memories of St James signal box.

Also remember the trackbed of the Linwood branch from Blackstone Jct and a tall lattice post minus arm still extant there in the late 90s

As keepsake I have the Caley block to Blackstone in my possession.

Dave.

Hi Vitalspark

It would be of great interest to hear or see anything you can remember about the 'Box at St James. It seems to be fairly elusive, photographically speaking.

I have, or have access to, a couple of shots of the NW end (the Gourock end) which will be quite useful, but nothing of the front elevation to judge the actual size.

Anything at all would help.

Thanks in advance,

Regards

Ian

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Time to blow the dust off this.

I have not been (totally) idle.

This evening has been spent working on the up Platform building, and drawing up the Down PLatform waiting room.

post-89-0-91552000-1476650426_thumb.jpg

Up Platform Building

post-89-0-89303500-1476650503_thumb.jpg

Down Platform Building

I have assumed (guessed) a height of 15ft to the top of the walls, the roof above, and glazed canopies sloping down from this height.

A search of the Caledonian Railway Association forum may have identified a source of the cast iron brackets under the glazed canopy. Fingers crossed.

The photos that I have are not terribly clear as to what the ends of the building looked like, eg door positions etc, but I will have a go. From what I can see there were no ticket office or other facilities on the Down side.

On the track front, I have put together about 10 common crossings which should take care of most of the points on the first board. Slow progress.

Best Reagards

Ian

Hi Ian,

The photos and drawings of Blantyre in the newest TTL (The True Line - Journal of the Caledonian Railway Association for those not of the faith) should give you some clues as to the appearance of the ends.  There have been a large number of stations featured in TTL over the years which will all be on the archive DVD.  I've just got a copy, but haven't had a look at it yet as I am busy with other things.  I do have all the TTL's, but the DVD will be easier to search.

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim

You're correct, there was only a shelter on the down side - no ticket office, toilets etc.

On the up side, there was a screen on what you've described as the NW elevation. It was maybe 8-10 feet back from the ticket window, wooden up to about 4 feet and glass panes above. The building roof extended over the space between it and the ticket window. You can make it out in the picture on page 34 of "Renfrewshire's Last Days of Steam" by WAC Smith.

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for the swift replies.

Jim, I will refresh my reading of Blantyre in the True Line for further info.

pH, Many thanks for your reply. I had seen the end screen in several photos sent to me by John Paton. I did not include it in the drawinf/sketch, as I was going to build it as a separate unit.

Still hunting for a good view of the front of the signal box.

Best Regards

Ian

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

While researching the timetable for PSJ, I came across the Timetable World website, which has a couple of appropriate timetables from 1947/48, the very earliest point that I set in my timescale.

My question is:

Would certain trains have split at Port Glasgow in to respective Gourock and Wemyss Bay portions, or would the Bay platform at Port Glasgow still have been in use, with a separate 'Branch' train.

I am looking at the 11.35 am, the 9.0 pm and 9.18 pm ex Glasgow in particular from the 1948 Scottish Region Timetable (Table No 68)

1948 Scottish Region: http://timetableworld.com/book_viewer.p ... on_id=1132

!947 LMS Table 305: http://timetableworld.com/book_viewer.p ... on_id=1705

If they DID split at Port Glasgow, has anyone any idea of the train formations?

One other oddity is the 8.40 am SO which is ex St Enoch rather than Central and terminates at Paisley St James. This is the only train in the entire day which terminates there, all the rest running through. Its arrival at 09.02 is a little late for a start of the working day, even on a Saturday and is way too early for a Sporting Fixture.

Any ideas?

It would appear to return to St Enoch at 11.35 a.m. (1947) and 11.52 (1948)

Regards

Ian
PS Timetableworld.com only has a limited number of timetables on there, however, I have managed to lose several hours already.

Would certain trains have split at Port Glasgow in to respective Gourock and Wemyss Bay portions, or would the Bay platform at Port Glasgow still have been in use, with a separate 'Branch' train.

I am looking at the 11.35 am, the 9.0 pm and 9.18 pm ex Glasgow in particular from the 1948 Scottish Region Timetable (Table No 68)

1948 Scottish Region: http://timetableworld.com/book_viewer.p ... on_id=1132

!947 LMS Table 305: http://timetableworld.com/book_viewer.p ... on_id=1705

If they DID split at Port Glasgow, has anyone any idea of the train formations?

The down bay platform at Port Glasgow still had rails in place, and was in good condition, in 1962. It was still there in 1965, though I can't remember if there were still rails in place. And I can't remember when it was filled in. 

I would be surprised if those trains split at Port Glasgow. While an engine could sit in the bay to back on to the portion of the Gourock train left behind, I think it would be more likely that an engine and a couple of coaches would sit in the bay and passengers for Wemyss Bay would just change across the platform. 

There are also a couple of Wemyss Bay-Port Glasgow trains - 8.00PM and 1.40PM (Sunday) in 1948 and 9.33AM and 7.55PM in 1947. I don't think Port Glasgow was set up to join trains, so I think those trains would terminate at the Port. Which, I think, suggests trains wouldn't split there either. 

One other oddity is the 8.40 am SO which is ex St Enoch rather than Central and terminates at Paisley St James. This is the only train in the entire day which terminates there, all the rest running through. Its arrival at 09.02 is a little late for a start of the working day, even on a Saturday and is way too early for a Sporting Fixture.

Any ideas?

It would appear to return to St Enoch at 11.35 a.m. (1947) and 11.52 (1948)

No suggestions for the purpose of that train. However (and I've said this before on here, so excuse the repetition) in the late 1950s and 1960s before electrification, there was a St. Enoch-St. James train about 12.30 which returned to St. Enoch, leaving about 15 minutes after arriving. I've seen a picture of it, taken in 1958, behind a Stanier 2-6-2T. In 1965, it was formed by a 3-car 126 class DMU.

• RMweb Premium

Hi pH,  and many thanks for your reply,

I have been hunting through on line timetables and certainly, during the fifties, there was more than one train which terminated at St J including workmens trains from Bridgeton Cross.

I have just received copies of the WTT for Freight Trains from 1950 and 1945, but still have to digest them properly.

Best Regards

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Hi Sam

I reckon that the timable for completion of PSJ is at least 5 years, however I have just been forced by the Landlady (SWMBO) in to giving a date for the first train movement under power as next year!

With regards to the timetables I have been looking at on line, and through correspondence with a member of the CRA, the idea is to get a feel for the ratio of Goods to passenger, and with reference to the freight, types of wagons, special traffic, proportions, motive power, etc.

One day, there will be a representative rimetable.

It will be a long time in the future before PSJ is ready for public/peer scrutiny, but it is good fun getting there.

Best Regards

Ian

Hi Sam

I reckon that the timable for completion of PSJ is at least 5 years, however I have just been forced by the Landlady (SWMBO) in to giving a date for the first train movement under power as next year!

[snip]

It will be a long time in the future before PSJ is ready for public/peer scrutiny, but it is good fun getting there.

Best Regards

Ian

[coughs]

Is that a management imposed arbitrary deadline or do the workers (you) feel they can achieve it? :-)

We look forward to seeing it progress.

Sam.

• RMweb Premium

Management asked the question with a sharp implement while I was backed in to a corner.

Is an answer given whilst under duress legally enforceable?

At least I have a full 12 and a bit months to try and comply.

Lord knows what sanctions may be enforced if I fail.

In other news, the first 2 common crossings have gone in, but the single slip is causing me to have as much stress as that caused by Management.

Photos to follow tomorrow. Not pretty, but at least they are proof.

Regards

Ian

PS I can't use photoshop, so this camera will tell no lies.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Long time, no update, including the promise of photos.

For the very first time, I can blame Christmas for getting in the way.

When I was running a pub, Christmas was just another day. For the first time in 35 years, I have a proper job, with time off for the Festive Season. For the first time ever, I was away for Xmas. No RMweb, no Modelling, nothing. Just food,(lots) Booze (hardly any) and Carp TV (any is too much)

The the relatives came to stay, so no time. Not allowed to be 'anti social', so no modelling, no RMweb etc....

Incidentally, do you know the difference between in-laws and outlaws?

Outlaws are wanted!

Anyway, sometime over the holiday period, my exile and eviction was decided upon (not by me!), and I started work on the Garage to turn it into a workshop, and eventually, layout room.  Majority of the work completed yesterday. Power, light, heat, workbench.... the list goes on.

post-89-0-43345600-1486324536_thumb.jpg

Pristine, it is.

Not for long!

PSJ up station building has been built twice, now. Never completed, but built twice.

The third iteration is now under way. So the workbench has been christened!

Hipped roof. Slate over the actual building and a glazed 'verandah' all round.

How am I going to work out the sizes for that?

Where is my O level geometry book when I really need it . It was only 40 years ago, whaddaya mean you can't remember it without the book? Huh!

5 thou glazing bars are small, aren't they?

post-89-0-84422100-1486325228_thumb.jpg

post-89-0-52301500-1486325303_thumb.jpg

Picture framers mountboard for the main carcase, 130gsm Xerox card over the main part of the roof.  Clear plasticard for the verandah.

Wall coverings from http://www.textures.com/ and scalescenes.

post-89-0-49691800-1486325487_thumb.jpg

More to follow

Regards

Ian

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I don't always break my promises, so here is attempt no 7 (ish) on Paisley St James Up building roof.

I knew that I had some labels somewhere, however they were smaller than I remebered. No Matter, for there is still the slate layer to dd.

I have managed to lose the three glazing bars at the RH end, however, as far as proof of concept is concerned, this one is a winner.

No superglue required.

post-89-0-18144100-1488401505_thumb.jpg

Template taken from previous attempts, copied on scanner/printer/copier thingie, and used as a cutting guide and background.

Previous attempts had been  5 mm centres, however, for this one I set the glazing bars at 4mmm apart, and managed to cut at rather less than 1 mm width for the glazing bars.

The upper prt of the roof will be covered in slates, with appropriate flashing, ridge tiles etc.

Regards

Ian

• RMweb Premium

2nd Roof  side tonight.

Patience as they say, is a vurtue.

Planning ahead is also virtuous.

So planning ahead last night in preparation for tonight, I attached the labels to the other piece  of clear plasticard, ready, to save trying my patience tonight.

Right?

Wrong.

Because the labels had been on for 24 hours, the glue had adhered rather better, so now I have a little cleaning up to do.

So much for planning ahead to save time!

Progress, below. New batteries for camera before I do any more, though!

post-89-0-49454600-1488486785_thumb.jpg

Start of the cutting process. No drawing or setting out, just attached to the cutting mat and using the mm scale to assist.

post-89-0-56148600-1488486680_thumb.jpg

Part way through removing the waste labels.

Completed second section of the roof. Just the two 'hips' to do, then it can all be attached to the sub-assembly after slating.

Regards

Ian

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

You probably know but office labels come in two types, peelable and non-peelable. The peelable ones should come away without leaving a residue.

I learn something every day.

Sadly, the ones that I have are obviously the non-peelable. Needs must when the devil drives.

Thanks

Regards

Ian

• RMweb Premium

More roofing tonight.

After cutting the glazing for all four roof sides, I thought I would get on with a little slating.

Scalescenes download, ( I love these) done some time ago was printed off. Being a clever chap, I thought I will save myself some work, and print straight onto labels, seeing as I have found them!

Well I might be clever, but not clever enough. No matter what I did, I could not persuade the 'puter to print them Landscape, rather than Portrait. Only because I wanted to be lazy, and have less joins.

Never mind, progress made.

See below

post-89-0-28873500-1488667508_thumb.jpg

Slater at work. Individual strips of slates laid. Because of the printing problem mentioned earlier, there are joins in each horizontal layer. I may have to go back over this, the Jury is still out.

post-89-0-58389100-1488667661_thumb.jpg

Roof mocked up on a block of wood, with the two long sections of the roof completed. the hips, (either end) have yet to be tackled.

But when I came to pose the photo only one 'Hip' could be found!

Even though I have been careful, and have a plastic lidded container for all the parts, it has gone.

Looks like I am in for a Hip Replacement.

The waiting time may be even longer than that of the NHS.

We will see.

Best Regards

Ian

• Like 4

It is probably in that 'safe place' you put it and will turn up as soon as you finish the replacement. Never fails!!

BTW wouldn't worry about the joints showing. The roof of my challenge diorama has one in just about every strip. Sometimes I put a single slate slightly out of alignment. All helps to give a bit of character rather than being perfect.

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim

• RMweb Premium

The carpet monsters safe place was discovered earlier today.

No hip replacement required, thank the Lord.

Roof now assembled flat, and put in a 'Safe Place'!

Front wall now judged to be sub standard, recutting in progress.

I think that this is now 'Iteration # 7 1/2'

Thanks,

and Regards

Ian