Now, over 45 years later......

br2975

In 1967 I was wandering around Buttigiegs scrapyard in Newport Docks when I came across the only (rebuilt) Crosti boilered 9F (or should it be 8F ?) I ever saw, 92027.

Incongruously parked in front of the 'Crosti' was one of the BR built 'Pontnewynydd' brake vans or, as they were commonly known a 'Noah's Ark'.

I clambered all over the brake van, and nearly decapitated myself due to the low door, but never recorded the number.

Over the years I thought I may have imagined the episode, that is until I saw this .....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/curly42/6628234531/in/photostream/

So, after all these years, does anyone know which van it was ?

(I believe BR only built two, as replacements for the GWR versions).

Answers on a postcard please addressed to 'an old codger' !

Brian R

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hello Brian,

Either 17590, or 17591. I've got a sneaky feeling that they both ended up at Newport. There are some photos about, from a different angle, and these show the number to good effect. Sorry to say, I don't have a copy here.

As an aside, one of the lads at Pontypool & Blaenavon Railway is quietly putting a Pontnewynydd toad back together. Early days yet, with setting out odds & ends, and seeing what other parts, from possible donors, are about.

Regards,

Ian

Edit;- A few years back, I espied a very tattered Toad body high above the mountain  between Merthyr & Rhymney.  With the owners permission, I was able to recover the transverse  sander operating bar, plus a few bits & bobs of the interior furniture. The framework for a real life Toad is fairly straightforward, being mostly 1'  (300mm ) rolled steel channel.   

Edited by tomparryharry
More info.
  • Like 2

Ian & Bill, thank you both.

I believe the van I saw was one of the BR built versions, which replaced the GWR originals.

So, that narrows it down ......  if only I knew the withdrawal date(s) - in fact seeing one in 1967 could mean the van(s) lasted longer than I thought.

I wonder if there are any photos out there of them being pushed by a diesel ?

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The numbers of the BR-built vans were B 950540 and B 950541.

Bill

Thank you Bill, my mix-up.

My 'bible' here suggests that the BR versions had the same runnng numbers ( or, were due to have them). Now you've reminded me, I'll need to check my (Rowland?) book. It seems at one point, there were 4 vans on the Pontnewynydd branch, one of which was either vac braked, or thro' piped. Another pesky photo I can't find.

Regards,

Ian

• 8 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Rail-Online said:

Interesting,

One is also in the background here, this was recorded as Cashmore's but the loco was indeed scrapped at Buttigiegs

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p600875790/ha53bfcf#ha53bfcf

Tony

If you tried taking that photo today, you would get run over.  The sheds still exist, but a busy road covers the spot.