Cardiff Canton, The second coming

steve fay

• RMweb Premium

How did I miss this one?

I was gobsmacked when I first came across Cardiff Canton's track plan in E Lyons's book - I couldn't imagine, full of locos, how this all worked - the mind just boggled.

And seeing the photo of the shed entrance with identifying footbridge...Hey, man....that's superb and the layout is coming along a treat.  So, please keep the updates coming.  I do like the historical bits, so keep them coming too.

Polly

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well canton micro has been provisionally booked in to appear at the Newport model Railway show on June 1st so I had better get cracking. Work has got in the way recently so hopefully the week after next I have some spare time to get started.

• Like 1

Carl Arendt (RIP) defined a micro as being typically 4 square feet or less in area. However, he later changed the website to Micro/Small Layouts because there were very many good layouts that followed the micro principle of being an operational model railway (as opposed to being just a diorama) but did not meet the area criteria.

• Like 1

A spare hour between jobs got the board all screwed together.

post-5983-0-53505900-1363010461_thumb.jpg

A few more lengths of timber to finish then its a pair of legs. Sand, Fill, and tart it all up then a coat of paint.

Chocolate frame and cream valance.

The books are holding down the 3mm ply that's been glued in place for the pit floor. The chairs will be glued directly on to this once the pits are cut out.

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 9

Carl Arendt (RIP) defined a micro as being typically 4 square feet or less in area. However, he later changed the website to Micro/Small Layouts because there were very many good layouts that followed the micro principle of being an operational model railway (as opposed to being just a diorama) but did not meet the area criteria.

4 foot square in 2mm could be a big layout, in 4mm it's more of a big diorama, in 7mm a small diorama. So as Steve is using the same footprint size I'd say that this a very small layout in 7mm. Sorry misread the first line and missed out the area bit.

OzzyO.

• Like 1

Kev.

Towards the end of the week hopefully.

This is a very small layout in 7mm considering there's no fiddle yard, traverser or cassette system added on yet.

Having said that Its getting some funny looks from my better half, Whats that massive thing doing in the room?

post-5983-0-68455700-1363371658_thumb.jpg

Cut out the pits today. Just need to file them up tidy. On with the track next week after my youngest daughters bedroom is all decorated up nicely.

On the closest pit you can see the C&L chairs. I tried a few in place with some rail just to make sure everything lines up properly.

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 8

Hello Steve,

it's always nice to see track going down on a new layout. Don't forget that the pit's are about 4' deep and that these ones would not have been used for ash removal.

OzzyO.

Edited by ozzyo
  • Like 1

All the shed roads are complete and Ive started on the rear reception road and run out of track. I will get two lengths of Peco next week and respace the sleepers to match the C&L which makes a huge difference in appearance then it's wiring.post-5983-0-56256700-1363981634_thumb.jpg

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 5

Take a look at this gem I found whilst trawling the net.

It was visiting along with 3440 when 92220 was launched in to traffic at Swindon then Bristol and finally Cardiff.

post-5983-0-25842000-1364050166.jpg

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 1

It was visiting along with 3440 when 92220 was launched in to traffic at Swindon then Bristol and finally Cardiff.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

No Steve you don't want one, you don't honest. You don't. A Jones good's yes .

OzzyO.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I was there! It was the first real blue loco I ever saw as a 9-year-old.

• Like 1