Cardiff Canton, The second coming

steve fay

Been on the footplate many times at the Glasgow Transport Museum.It really is a beautiful loco,complete with thistles etched onto the buffers.

It would be a nice addition to your shed Steve.

• Like 1

Yes it certainly would especially if I had 3440 to go with it.

I suppose if you dig hard enough there is nearly a prototype for everything. It would certainly brighten up the layout at an exhibition.

post-5983-0-60840800-1364214374_thumb.jpg

Nothing spectacular today, just marking out the floor plan for the low relief shed building, ready to go to my dad for building.

Edited by steve fay

Back scene 1 Steve 0.

Well I stuck it on and I wasn't happy, first there was a few creases. I really should have taken the back off and done it on the flat.

Also it kind of made it look as if canton was floating in the air. This type of back scene would have looked fine if there was some scenery to give a better transition.

So where does that leave us, I'm not quite sure whether to just paint it a neutral grey or something. So what would you guys go for.

I'm not sure about using another printed back scene as looking across Canton there was the old carriage shed past the running lines so to just put something else there would detract from the overall illusion to make it instantly recognisable as Canton.

• RMweb Gold

Back scene 1 Steve 0.

Well I stuck it on and I wasn't happy, first there was a few creases. I really should have taken the back off and done it on the flat.

Also it kind of made it look as if canton was floating in the air. This type of back scene would have looked fine if there was some scenery to give a better transition.

So where does that leave us, I'm not quite sure whether to just paint it a neutral grey or something. So what would you guys go for.

I'm not sure about using another printed back scene as looking across Canton there was the old carriage shed past the running lines so to just put something else there would detract from the overall illusion to make it instantly recognisable as Canton.

That was the reason I didn't give it a tick Steve - not at all like Canton looking in that direction, which would be the old milk depot so a great big stone wall instead of blue skies.  (not so say there aren't blue skies as at one time I was in lodgings not too far away in that direction and we did, sometimes, have blue skies - but an awful lot of buildings below them of course).

• Like 1

Very impressive project, and it demonstrates that you don't need a vast amount of space to enjoy 7mm scale modelling. (Though it helps. And being very rich helps too.)

• Like 1

Mike

I no, I'm not sure what to do. The milk depot was about 6 tracks further back so to put some sort of representation of it along the back would have to very carefully done and I'm not a skilled artist,

I'm leaning more towards a grey back scene. Just to keep it neutral.

That's the issue with trying to model a prototypical place in such a small place.

The other option is to do away with the back scene and do a nice valance across the back making the layout viewable from front and back.

That would open up a lot more photographic options.

post-5983-0-12456100-1364499336_thumb.jpg

post-5983-0-60432500-1364499507_thumb.jpg

I've decided to make it viewable from both sides.

I've been filing the track slightly from Peco to C&L as there was a bit of a difference in height, Only to notice that the C&L track on one rail had been put in up side down!!! Didn't expect that.

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Mike

I no, I'm not sure what to do. The milk depot was about 6 tracks further back so to put some sort of representation of it along the back would have to very carefully done and I'm not a skilled artist,

That's the issue with trying to model a prototypical place in such a small place.

The other option is to do away with the back scene and do a nice valance across the back making the layout viewable from front and back.

I rather like the latter idea Steve - definitely a bit different but also very practical for photo opportunities.  I appreciate the difficulty of capturing the background there (not that I've been there for a good many years) and I think that your idea of avoiding  a back scene completely is a good way round the problem.

• Like 1

post-5983-0-50587600-1364567541_thumb.jpg

post-5983-0-61930200-1364567620_thumb.jpg

Hudswell clarke 0.6.0 saddle tank Cwm Taff visits Cardiffs main locomotive shed for tyre turning.

The cleaners have also given her a good clean!

This is my dads loco and I'm using her to test all the track. Given the short wheel base if she works fine then the big locos should be OK.

I do like this little loco and with a good weathering she could become a regular visitor.

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 9

Steve

It's a real dilemma isn't it, especially where those of us haven't much space in the depth of our layouts. I've chosen to go with the 'grey sky' option (although I haven't painted the back scene yet, it's still white board) for the same reason - the lack of any real space for an effective transition.

The only thing I would say about making it viewable from both sides is that other things (furniture at home, people at exhibitions) get into your photographs. Cardiff Canton 6x2 will look stunning viewed and photographed at low level but you will want something to hide the extraneous background. As a compromise, what about a temporary grey back scene you could slot in for photos? Just a thought.

Otherwise, looking good!

Stephen

• Like 1

Stephen

Your right I might put a low level, Say just to the height of the footbridge back scene in and just paint it grey.

This way you can still photograph from the back which would be like the many pics taken from off the foot bridge.

But mainly when photographing from the front there's nothing or no one in the way.

I'm really inspired by all the micro O gauge layouts on rmweb at the moment, they have given me the inspiration to get on with this project.

So cheers all,

Steve

Steve

I have never been a fan of photographic or painted backscenes which is why I use plain grey backscenes. I tend to break this up with buildings but appreciate it is more difficult when you are modelling a real location. I think Stephen's idea of a movable backscene would give you the best of both worlds.

Rob

• Like 1

post-5983-0-58752300-1364730124_thumb.jpg

Not a huge update but I've given the track a coat of matt black. I like to give the track a coat of paint before sanding then I will give it another coat. It has helped disguise the colour difference between the C&L and Peco track. All the wires have been run in and all have been tested and are working fine. I will keep testing them after every stage of sanding weathering because I no the Peco points are not the most reliable. If this was a long term project then I would substitute these for hand built points but as long as they work they will do fine after all the dead line for something exceptable is June 1st.

I've also got the temporary back scene in, This will be a bit taller than this but short enough to easily take pictures from the rear.

The area around the pits will all be matt black with black ash weathering powders and closer to the old coaling stage we might get a bit more sleeper grime colour.

• Like 12

It's the pits. After looking through many pictures it seems that the pits are cast concrete, I was going to use slaters embossed brick but I think after sanding and weathering I'm going to use kirtley models concrete papers. They do a lovely range of all sorts of building papers in many types of finishes and they are per weathered so should look the business.

I just need to cut some card ends for the pits because in the pictures there aren't any steps.

That's a little job for this evening. Legs tomorrow

post-5983-0-90737600-1365007937_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Your pits are looking the biz, as we mentioned it's a bit odd that the pits had no steps at the ends, maybe a good reason for some short ladders to be laying about?

OzzyO.

Edited by ozzyo
  • Like 1

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Steve,

if you decide against the small back scene, please, please get some perspex sheet to fit along this edge. As I would not like to have to do a big repair job on one of "our" locos. I have seen what can happen to a loco that has fallen 3 foot to the floor and it's not nice.

OzzyO.   

• Like 1

Legs!!! We have legs.

The triangular braces at the front will support the fiddle yard areas as well. So I will need to make another pair for the outer most ends.

Picked up a bag of kiln dried sand, ballasting next up on the list.

post-5983-0-34798100-1365075269_thumb.jpg

Oz, point taken, I got to admit I was worried about low flying locos as well so the low level back scene is in. This still allows pics to be taken from behind almost like you where on the foot bridge.

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 5

Well we have gravitated to the kitchen and the under coat is going on.

post-5983-0-78395700-1365188299_thumb.jpg

Chocolate and cream going on. Going to take a few coats, what is it with paint these days. More water than colour.

Looking nice though.

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 6