Star Lane, Hooley - next show is Macclesfield in April 2024.

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

A good part of today was spent working on the SER signal box.

All the windows are now in place along with the interior. The 13 lever frame has also been assembled and the levers painted the correct colours.

The last few items to do is to add the handrail to the external walkway, the curved part of the walkway support brackets and the name board.

It should all be done for the trip up to Barrow in the next few days.

post-1557-0-96268300-1381085596_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Mike has decided to use a heavily modified Wills kit for the LBSCR box rather than bash an old Airfix Midland one. He's done such a good job that I thought he had scratch built it.

Here is a photo he sent me last night.

post-1557-0-46990000-1381125917_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The SER box is very nearly done.

Last night the walkway handrails were assembled from thin brass wire and this morning all but one of the walkway support brackets were added. I will have to laminate some more microstrip into a curve profile to do the last one.

A little bit of touching up and the name board to do plus add a signalman inside plus weathering the box and the box will be ready for this weekend in a Barrow In Furness.

post-1557-0-08109900-1381232840_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The layoit was set up last night and the two signal boxes finally in their new home.

We had a few hectic hours this morning mainly with the Bachmann coupling bars... Just try plugging these together and putting on the curved tracks!

It was fine when we tested the layout beforehand but with a fully loaded fiddleyard it was a pain.

Even those sets fitted with Flieschmann profi couplings were trick so now a lot of the units now have Kadees fitted.

This afternoon the layout worked much better.

post-1557-0-84255300-1381595758_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-88440700-1381595778_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

The layout ran very well on Sunday with mainly operator errors disrupting train services along the Brighton main line!

There is still plenty to do to improve the scenics and running as therre are a few areas of track that needs fettling.

Also we have a better idea on how to improve the various EMU coupling systems to speed up putting these EMU s on the track.

A list of tasks to do was put together in the pb on Saturday night before we had too many pints.

Weathering of the rolling stock is another task to do.

No prizes for spotting the odd one out in tbe photos below!

post-1557-0-36553700-1381730211_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-04034600-1381733005_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-97107700-1381733025_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-95711100-1381733075_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-43598400-1381733115_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-31098200-1381733169_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-93046700-1381733195_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Just a tiny point. I notice that the 4-foot way "spider" between track circuits has been placed alongside the signal. In the case of the Quarry Line, with MAS and Track Circuit Block, I think it was more normal to find the spider was 2-3 coach-lengths ahead of the signal, such that it continued to display a proceed aspect until well after the leading vehicle had passed. While the Absolute Block & semaphores on the line via Redhill wouldn't have the automatic replacement, of course, I'm not sure whether the spider would have been alongside the signal there, either.

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Star Lane will be attending its first show down in the Southern part of the country next February at RISEX in Princes Risborough.

Plenty to do to the stock and layout before then.

Various ideas for a lighting rig are under considerartion as the lighting we had at the Barrrow In Furness show was only a temporary fix and really wasn't adequate enough for the size of the layout. Any ideas are more than welcome but the lighting has to fit in the remaining space of a Ford Mondeo Estate car.

Ian

Ian,

My lighting rig is based on "MARKET STALL" technology, which breaks down into separate bits of metal. The lights are at mains voltage, but are class 2 so are double insulated. The rig is portable across layouts, the only requirement is that T-nuts are positioned to hold the uprights.

However, I've decided not to use my rig on Höchstädt, relying on LEDs built into the layout infrastructure. And the passenger stock is lit. And it's easier to achieve in 7mm.

Bill

• RMweb Gold

Bill

We are considering things such as tent poles or gazeboos. With the other layouts they use a modular system but they have a straight frontage. The circle is another thing altogether.

For my old California Coast layout I was condiering using an old  surf board which I could mount on a pole each end and install down lights within the board... would have looked cooll on the car roof .. no one would have guessed that we were off to a model railway show!!

However a surf board doesnt really go with  the North Downs!!!

Ian

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just a small update.

Mike has been doing some track alterations. There was a section that dipped a little on the upper level, trains ran fine over it but it was just a little too noticeable, so he has been raising it up carefully.

More EMU's have been obtained by a few people and I still have modifications to the couplings on the Bachmann 4CEPS to do as the Bachmann coupling bars just aren't suitable for setting the units up in a curved fiddleyard. They currently have Kadees but the NEM sockets droop too much so need some work done to them to stop the droop.

All these mods should be complete in time for RISEX next month.

Edited by roundhouse

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Today we have set up the layout in my parents garage for a testing of some track alterations that Mike has been doing since it's first outing to Barrow In Furness last October.

It's made quite an improvement in the running quality.

Further areas of static grass have been done along with touching up of track colours and weathering of the line side trunking.

We are now having a bit of a running session with quite a mixture of stock some of which has not run for many years.

A few photos taken today.

post-1557-0-62876800-1391961657_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-68000400-1391961694_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-41700400-1391961778_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-63538100-1391961804_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-96121400-1391961863_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-56639000-1391961877_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-07381500-1391961906_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Mike is working on the lighting system for the layout so it should be ready for RISEX this coming Saturday.
meanwhile I have been working on my stock .

Two class 33's that had sat in their boxes since buying these Heljan ones discount some years ago have now had the head code blinds fitted along with a driver in each one. Both locos have now been weathered and fitted with Kadee number 19's.

A couple of Bullied light Pacifics that haven't run for a few years, have been cleaned and tweaked. One of them had the decoder wiring reversed which isn't a problem when run on DCC but as Star Lane is currently DC, it went the wrong way. This has now been rectified.

Plenty more to do though!

Ian

Edited by roundhouse