N gauge Class 50

DapolDave

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Does anyone know if one or more of these would be suitable for depicting a preserved loco on, say, a railtour?

My knowledge of 50s is low, and I am not particularly a fan of the class, but it'd be useful to know if one of these is suitable "out of the box."

For present day, no, sadly. Both 50007 and 50015 did a lot of railtours in the early 90s prior to withdrawal, but not recently.

50007 still exists, and has main line certification, but has been restored to its original “Hercules” name and painted blue.

Still going to get 50007 and some NSE mk2s for that reason though!

I’ve seen this and other similar pictures where the caption says “Leviathan” but where the nameplate is definitely “Centurion” and also with the latter name there is a crest above the nameplate which “Leviathan” didn’t have. It seems a strange choice by Dapol to pick the only 50 to carry two different names with the same colour scheme as that immediately restricts the timescale available. As I said, I doesn’t bother me at all as none of the ones I’ve ordered will stay as 50040 but I will mention it to Dapol.

On Dapol Digest they have been asked about running numbers / names and have said they decided to stick with the originally announced options. So unfortunately this is a historic issue, that for various reasons has continued. The next batch will hopefully be more logical, I will post your query on the Dapol Digest, and see if they have proof.

• RMweb Gold

On Dapol Digest they have been asked about running numbers / names and have said they decided to stick with the originally announced options. So unfortunately this is a historic issue, that for various reasons has continued. The next batch will hopefully be more logical, I will post your query on the Dapol Digest, and see if they have proof.

That would be helpful, thanks. I have just registered for Dapol Digest but am awaiting approval before I can post anything. It’s not a big issue, clearly, and whilst they are not going to pick a different number at this late stage, at least if they leave the NSE flash off the final model, it will be accurate for most of the time that the loco ran in this livery with Leviathan nameplates.

That would be helpful, thanks. I have just registered for Dapol Digest but am awaiting approval before I can post anything. It’s not a big issue, clearly, and whilst they are not going to pick a different number at this late stage, at least if they leave the NSE flash off the final model, it will be accurate for most of the time that the loco ran in this livery with Leviathan nameplates.

I have just posted making the argument to remove NSE flash, I hope you don't mind I quoted you and copied and pasted as I prefer to give credit where due.

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to seeing the samples.

That’ll be a Tops BR Blue and a Large logo one winging their way to me then... ;)

Edited by bcnPete
  • Like 1

Looking forward to seeing the samples.

That’ll be a refurbished BR Blue and a Large logo one winging their way to me then... ;)

Are they doing a refurbished blue? From the list the only refurbished ones for general distribution are LL and NSE Original.

• RMweb Premium

50049 is in Large Logo livery and currently has a mainline certification. Front cover of the current issue of Rail Express.

Has miniature snow ploughs fitted both ends at the moment.

Other mainline certificated locos are

44 non operational

49 and

• RMweb Gold

Are they doing a refurbished blue? From the list the only refurbished ones for general distribution are LL and NSE Original.

Not listed in the first batch. As there were only 6 refurbished in this condition (1,6,13,17,19 and 47) and for a relatively short period, I doubt you'll see one done.

• RMweb Gold

Preserved now? What time period are you looking at Ben?

Apologies - I should have made it clear I meant for the present day or back around 10 years.

It looks like one of the ones on the cover of Rail Express would do. I have that copy but didn't read the article (as I said, 50s don't really float my boat) but I will dig it out and have a look.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Apologies - I misread the images on previous page - now corrected my post to read Tops BR Blue :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Just ordered a sound version of 50043...I think I can justify that for Olympia. Used on freights through to the SR and they are bound have been used on the Motorail trains.

• RMweb Premium

Apologies - I should have made it clear I meant for the present day or back around 10 years.

It looks like one of the ones on the cover of Rail Express would do. I have that copy but didn't read the article (as I said, 50s don't really float my boat) but I will dig it out and have a look.

Yep - you'd need to renumber/name it to 50049 Defiance if you actually want the one still running in that condition. IIRC doesn't Defiance in BR large logo also have a black roof as opposed to grey?

Those EPs look pretty decent, I'm far from an expert, but seems to capture the shape well, one of the better efforts at the nose/windscreen area.

Edited by njee20

Here's a couple of images of the first EP samples of the Dapol N gauge Class 50. Dapol have already identified quite a few errors, if you'll find more errors pass them on directly to Dapol.

attachicon.gifimage_869.jpg

attachicon.gifimage_870.jpg

Excellent news and progress. Dapol are to be congratulated for progressing this far after the debacle of the previous effort.

2009:

post-33-0-53817100-1528735843_thumb.jpg

2014:

post-33-0-25380200-1528735945_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Looks pretty good, Obs lights ( windscreen ) seem too big to me. They need to start lower down.

That thought occurred to me too, but I’m really not sure. If they are too big, then it’s not by very much at all. Seeing a head on view of the front would help. In any case, nothing there to stop me cancelling any of my pre-orders; they look very impressive.

• RMweb Gold

Looks like promising start, but there is definitely work to be done on the windows. Compare the EP shots with that of Lion posted by Grahame above and I’d be inclined to agree they are on the large side.

The tumblehome also looks like it’s a tad on the shallow side to my eye.

Tom.

Edited by TomE

Agree with what's been said, but for me it's difficult to tell 100% if the windows are slightly too big due to the lack of livery on the EPs. At least they appear to have the right droopy shape, unlike the Dapol 56. Again, unlike the 56, the width looks OK, assuming the bogie frames are the right width

Moulded roof fan grill and etch buffer steps are both winners for me

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The lamp irons are too low, the bottom should be on the centre line of the foot step, which may actually be a tad high.

Also the small front grab rails under the screens could go up a bit, and the covers around the jacking points look a bit heavy.

I take it the white patches on the unrefurb one indicate where the sand fillers are missing.

Dave

It's nice to see an EP  finally but it looks all over the place to me... Dapol need to look again at the shape of the rainstrips/cab roof/windscreen/cabside windows -  they all relate very carefully to each other ,  and the relationship between the bodyside grilles and the cab doors - and the bodyside grilles relative to the start of the tumblehome . The cantrail should be a more gentle radius , and the curvature of this should carry through and be visible above the cabside windows/cab doors - i.e, the bodywork above them should be curved. 

Unfortunately it looks a bit Roy Walker to me...

Jon 

• RMweb Gold

To be fair to Dapol, on their Digest page they do say that there are some minor tweaks required on each, and a number of errors on the refurbished EP model, but do not list them all. May I heartily recommend to anyone who thinks their input/comments will result in a better finished product to put those comments on Dapol Digest rather than just on here. If you aren’t registered, it is a simple process (I know because I did it yesterday).

as ive posted on the Heljan 50 Thread  -  this thread  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/112640-trethosa/page-2  is a very good guide to getting a 50 looking like a 50 -  its based around the Hornby model , but it does seem that Dapol have made the same misinterpretation of the cabs to Hornby - so the thread is still a usefull one to read to understand the shape of the cabs.

Jon