N gauge Class 50

DapolDave

• RMweb Gold

Hi ,

All good comments and certainly it is right to use the Dapol digest as all read by several folk including myself and some revisons inevitable. The fun of getting windows right has vexed all involved - including owners of the real things who thought that it was a good effort given size and complexity of what many called a simple blue box on wheels when they were launched in the real world!

Livery work is in hand and hopefully will work up well. Images set onto the CADS did not show up glaring issues on relationship issues with major components, which is a good start. When the owners group contacts helpfully suggest that the headlight position not a constant across the fleet does make for finding reference points for the front entertaining to say the least. But changes on lamp brackets- too tall and start to high in relation to grab rails - which look right when you use the 50031 intercity livery to check levels across door handles and the like.    

Not wishing to cause too much fun but having held the models at DEMU they looked and felt the business with a pcb that looked like a busy  city landscape of towerblocks, fueltanks and greenspaces with well laid out roads - I am sure all the electronics do something ! but like the 68 pcb "streets ahead" of the previous generation.      

Hi livery diagrams now on Dapol digest-N diesels- class 50- project managers blog page.

Robert  

Already posted on page 9 post #219

PS: Already sent in my views on the EPs and what I feel is wrong with it to a member of the Dapol team.

Edited by MGR Hooper!

Well I think the Engineering Prototypes look fantastic - pushed me over the edge to place a preorder for two versions. In particular the bogie / body gap looks commendably small.

I will leave the experts to reach a conclusion on the size of the windscreen but the prototypes certainly capture the look of the fifties to my eyes.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well I think the Engineering Prototypes look fantastic - pushed me over the edge to place a preorder for two versions. In particular the bogie / body gap looks commendably small.

I will leave the experts to reach a conclusion on the size of the windscreen but the prototypes certainly capture the look of the fifties to my eyes.

Mark

Intriguingly I have gone the other way having seen the CAD's, I have gone from guaranteed pre-order to waiting to see the finished product before parting with my cash...

• Like 1

Intriguingly I have gone the other way having seen the CAD's, I have gone from guaranteed pre-order to waiting to see the finished product before parting with my cash...

Fortunately it's not a crowdfunded model so it's not as though you'll miss the boat by not preordering and can wait until it is in the shops to inspect. But these days with batch production it'll be best not to wait around too long making up your mind when they do arrive. Especially if you want a particular livery that proves to be popular.

G

I can't comment on other aspects of the model, however the cab windows look a little over-sized and too squarish on the corners. That's all that stood out to me, obviously others including Dapol would've found more errors.

Fortunately it's not a crowdfunded model so it's not as though you'll miss the boat by not preordering and can wait until it is in the shops to inspect. But these days with batch production it'll be best not to wait around too long making up your mind when they do arrive. Especially if you want a particular livery that proves to be popular.

G

But this is Dapol, and if there is one thing you can say about Dapol is that they do squeeze their assets - if a livery sells well they will produce more

But this is Dapol, and if there is one thing you can say about Dapol is that they do squeeze their assets - if a livery sells well they will produce more

Maybe, but that will take time in scheduling a manufacturing slot and then the long sea voyage. New ones, if they do get re-run, are unlikely to be available quickly.

G

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Does anyone know if one or more of these would be suitable for depicting a preserved loco on, say, a railtour?

My knowledge of 50s is low, and I am not particularly a fan of the class, but it'd be useful to know if one of these is suitable "out of the box."

Cheers

Ben A.

The post above is probably your best route to a current day 50 Ben

Cheers

Mark

• RMweb Gold

The post above is probably your best route to a current day 50 Ben

Cheers

Mark

Hello Mark,

Thanks very much. That is well worth considering, though personally I am not overly keen on the black roof - think the pale grey looks much better!

Though in the photos I have seen of the Cumbrian Hoovers railtour it does look good - and would suit our new club layout!

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Class 50 Fund group has announced a lovely limited edition of Class 50 #50049 "Defiance" in BR Large Logo Blue with Black Roof livery.

https://www.fiftyfundstore.co.uk/product/limited-edition-n-gauge-50049-model-pre-order

The model is being sold at MRP and the price shown is inclusive of delivery. More details in the link above.

Very interesting! So that's three limited editions already; 7 in GW150 Green (Dapol Club), 15 in Dutch (DCC Supplies) and now this one. Surely it’s only a matter of time before someone commissions a limited run of 149 in Railfreight triple grey. Please.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

post-1467-0-48866500-1538660833_thumb.jpeg

post-1467-0-52046000-1538661223_thumb.jpeg

post-1467-0-29662400-1538661250_thumb.jpeg

Personally I’m still not entirely convinced about the tumblehome or that the front windows are quite the right shape, but it is certainly light years away from the old Farish model.

Just a pity (for me) that they are not doing the revised NSE scheme in this batch.

Tom.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I hope that model of 50040 you've shown Tom is an early deco sample and that the image from Dapol is more representative of the paint job, otherwise it looks like the roof was spray painted without a mask

These are described as the first decorated samples, so not representative of the final finish. I presume they are only used to check basic colour & positioning etc.

Tom.