Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Ivatt Atlantic C1

• RMweb Gold

A kit-built OO gauge one of these---admittedly a very decent one-----has just fetched £486 on e-bay.On its day,it was an iconic GNR/LNER loco,which (just) made it into the B.R.era. Is there anyone out there,like me,who feels it would make a worthy subject for an R-T-R model ? After all Hornby have just announced 'Cock Of The North' .A handsome beast at the head of Hornby Pullmans or teak Gresleys.

It certainly would make an interesting choice for a RTR manufacturer, as not only is there a widespread time of operations, there is a preserved example (making design easier) and the possibility of making a Marsh H2 out of the tooling as well.

Pickup wouldn't be a problem, and if done correctly, nor should the weight. One would surely expect it to be well received by the eastern crew, and provide a chance to introduce another pre-grouping (but long lived) class into the market.

There is one small problem with the chassis, the coupled wheel spacing is very tight, such that OO flanges would be in contact if the wheels are made to nominal diameter. If the manufacturer can be persuaded to represent the coupled wheelsets in worn condition, this buys just enough space for clearance. I'll be surprised if we don't get a RTR model in the next decade; the tie in to the Marsh derived design built by the LBSCR is highly fortuitous. That both types were well to the fore operating Pullman services does rather suggest which manufacturer should display an intelligent interest.

If anyone is following the Bluebell's progress on the Brighton atlantic, progress seems well advanced:

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/locos/atlantic/latest.html

Given that one of the reasons for Hornby doing a P2 was that there was going to be a new build project or two, I would expect a Brighton atlantic to be imminent, with a C1 due to follow afterwards.

I'd dearly love to see a C1, in fact I'd go as far as to say I'd be jumping up and down like a small child with excitement if it happened, but I don't care which atlantic gets announced, because atlantics of any kind really float my boat.

• RMweb Gold

The inspiration for starting this topic came to me after reading Dick Hardy's 'A Life On The Lines' (available from Amazon ),in which he remiinisces.....and illustrates with his own snapshots.....warmly about his personal experiences with these and other locos. Best £9.95 's worth in years.A compulsive read.

• RMweb Premium

When you read some of the accounts of what the locos were capable of, deputising for pacifics on the ECML, it really shows just how good a loco they were. I would certainly be tempted by one, especially in full GNR livery. Now just a rake of 12 wheel clerestories to go behind her and............ 

I need a glass of cold water tipping over me now!

Tony

Definite 'yes' vote from me - Grantham had about 16 allocated during my period!!

Like many pre-grouping 'classics', a great range of eras and liveries to go at (athough they only just made it into BR days). Maybe with so many other new LNER classes tackled recently (O4, B17, D11, O1, J11) we might have to wait a few years yet but you never know.

post-16151-0-89904300-1361369036.jpg

This delightful example was a visitor during the first full test run of the layout in April (apologies, as I think I've already posted this before on my thread).

• 4 weeks later...

no I don't think a C1 would make a nice ready to run model, in fact I would be very upset if one came out,

It's still to recent since I at last painted and finished the kit built one which had spent years half built

Hey fellas stop putting ideas into Bachman/Hornbys heads.  I built a  'large' Atlantic a few years ago, fitted with an Ultrascale motor/gearbox. It runs like a dream and powerful with it.  It would be very upsetting if a model was produced by the big two, because the finish and quality would make mine look a bit poor.

In similar vein, I built a Proscale kit of Cock o' the North in it's original condition, again powered by Ultrascale unit.  Why oh why do the manufacterers have to do what I do.  Most frustrating

• 2 months later...

I am enjoying this thread immensely.  Why? because I have just been polishing the original C1 Ivatt Altantic Number 251 now housed at Barrowhill Roundhouse, just off the M1 J30, on long term loan from the NRM.  A beautiful locomotive and, in spite of all the comments, I would love to get a model of it as I just don't have the skills or patience to produce one of the superb examples pictured above.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I am enjoying this thread immensely.  Why? because I have just been polishing the original C1 Ivatt Altantic Number 251 now housed at Barrowhill Roundhouse, just off the M1 J30, on long term loan from the NRM.  A beautiful locomotive and, in spite of all the comments, I would love to get a model of it as I just don't have the skills or patience to produce one of the superb examples pictured above.

Time to resurrect this thread....Surely,now that Locomotion Models ( NRM) have made further inroads into the National Collection with another Deltic run and are shortly to release a quite brilliant L&Y tank...as well as 47 Prince William AND now that Bachmann have a Marsh Atlantic in preparation....251's time is near.I sense a real buzz of regeneration with their relaunched marketing of special edition r t r models.They won't let this golden opportunity to recreate a model of Britain's best-loved Atlantic slip,I am sure. A steam icon of the first half of the 20 th c. will finally be awarded its rightful place.....on our tracks. Let's get behind and encourage the N R M in this hopefully to be realised venture.

G'Day Gents

I have to agree, a C1, would great, anyone modelling the ECML in the first half of the 20th century, needs a C1, weather it's on a Pullman or a 'Beer' train.

I have tried to build the 'Tri-Ang,' C1, still a work in progress, I'll get round to finishing it one day.

manna

post-19471-0-03749100-1382784987_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

In a roundhouse in deepest North Derbyshire,something stirs.Her elegant apple green lines catch the shafts of late afternoon sunlight streaming in through the roof vents and the faint ghostly echoing breath of steam whispers....soon....the game's afoot !

In a roundhouse in deepest North Derbyshire,something stirs.Her elegant apple green lines catch the shafts of late afternoon sunlight streaming in through the roof vents and the faint ghostly echoing breath of steam whispers....soon....the game's afoot !

Oooh. What have you heard…? :)

post-1656-0-44534700-1402612308.jpg

Dug out a few further pictures of my unlined 62822 from the archives. I do think Ivatt's Atlantics look excellent from any angle, very handsome and with a certain elegance particularly at the cab end. One thing I will concede to Marsh on the LBSCR is that the H2 Atlantics with the curved front running plate perhaps perfected Ivatt's original vision. Strange that the spirit of the GNR's original large boilered policy should make it though to almost the end of steam with a locomotive design which had its origins in the previous century.

post-1656-0-11839600-1402612310.jpg

That 'origins aspect I find so enjoyable in the Doncaster express power development line. It's very clear how we go from the Stirling single to the small atlantic, then the large atlantic, then the pacific. Quite what curatorial decision denies this a place on permanent exhibition as a collection at York leaves me somewhat baffled.

Absolutely agree. There was very little coverage of it being at Bressingham either so I missed out on seeing it when it was at its furthest south for about fifty years…! Quite why it, the Stirling Single and Henry Oakley can't be at York is beyond me. The original York museum was set up by the LNER for crissake - saving City of Truro and a good number of other pre-grouping locomotives in the process. C'est la vie.

Archived