Bachmann announce Mk2f's

newbryford

Harris mark2 book page 125 has a pic of rmbt ex tsot 6661 (6611) intercity buffet branding dated as being converted April 86, it states Ilford EMUD carried out several conversions for intercity during this period.

It seems the original tsot conversion was budgeted for £4000 per vehicle.

I know Rfb were a different breed!

Ian

I hope I didn't come across as insulting your intelligence Ian. The Mk2 air-cons are pretty complicated but I'm sure you know that already.

Thinking about buffets Bachmann have an opportunity to make 1800, the self service buffet converted from a Mk2F TSO in the mid 1970s.

Plus there is every chance that Modelzone will want to make a version of the High Speed Track Recording Coach.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Geat announcement for me!

I've fancied an IC swallow or Virgin (respray) Bachmann 47 for ages, and I know there's a swallow release due imminently. I was put off by the poor (and pricey for what they are) Hornby mk2's. Considering I already have a couple of 87's I could also run them with, I'm going to have to have a set in both liveries I think.

The Virgin ones I'm happy to respray rather than wait for Bachmann to do. The IC ones for the initial batch, does anyone yet know if these are swallow or executive? What exactly are the differences? I'm only familiar with the differences on locomotives.

The first ones done up to mid 1987 were executive, after that they got swallow.

Apart from the style of InterCity on the coach sides the only other changes I can remember were 75mm high numbers on the swallow stock with either 100mm high numbers or, in the case of Ilford, 125 mm high numbers on executive stock and on first class a large 1 being high on the coach side in silver near the doors for swallow livery whereas executive had a black 1 on each door (in the same position as blue and grey stock).

Executive stock did not carry orange on the gutter initially (ScotRail stock did) whereas swallow liveried stock may well have had orange gutters (certainly in later years).

Edited by Flood

• RMweb Premium

Plus there is every chance that Modelzone will want to make a version of the High Speed Track Recording Coach.

I think there's about 9 variants of livery/window layout/roof detail to go at............ Not a single one has a standard 2f window layout.

This is the latest.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timhorn/8479321532/

Mind you, for the simple relivery experts, I can see a Bachmann 101/Mk2f LE here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/locohunter/8324727265/in/photostream/

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

I guess there'll now be a mass sale of Airfix/Dapol/Hornby aircon Mk2's?

There does appear to be more than the normal amount of aircon Mk2's on eBay tonight with a 6 day/20plus hour selling time...........................

Cheers,

Mick

And when they do, I'm gonna buy a rake of them, de-brand them and stick 'em behind Tornado.........

Cheers,

Mick

I have a suggestion as to where you stick Tornado Mick........ but it wouldn't be pleasant!!

I can see Roland and you having a lot of mk2 bodies going begging?!?!

Great announcement. That and the the 156 would be the big missing two for me? Come on RealTrack!!

Not at all Flood!

1800 would fit well with a APT too :) of course.

Id say there history is more interesting involved than complex though!

Looking forward to Bachhy's 2f's with the hope over the coming years of lots of colours and who knows maybe we may see other BR built stock filling all the gaps...can only dream.

Ian

I hope I didn't come across as insulting your intelligence Ian. The Mk2 air-cons are pretty complicated but I'm sure you know already.

• RMweb Premium

I can see Roland and you having a lot of mk2 bodies going begging?!?!

Not at all - I'm happy chopping Airfix Mk2's. I can't wait for the flood on ebay.......

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Details now on Hatton's website.  Personally pleased to see DCC lighting option: http://www.ehattons.com/stocklist/results.aspx?searchfield=Bachmann 2f

Interesting that the DCC/interior light fitted have an additional note:

BR MK2F "Aircon" TSO Tourist Second Open InterCity with DCC interior lighting. Price is estimated - we will notify you if price rises and offer option to cancel

Cheers,

Mick

I would like a four coach rake of blue/grey Mk2f with a 67  ala the Taunton - Cardiff that used to run a couple of years ago.

Will the new Bachmann coaches have the orange cantrail, I can easily fit the newer style warning flashes or are the coaches completely wrong for what I want ?

Before pre-ordering Ive taken the precaution of emailing Bachmann to ask about this DCC option.

if its dcc track powered with individual features controlled by discretely hidden slide switches then fine no additional expense. 

if every coach requires its own decoder i will have to cut back on my planned spending as that will turn into almost £100 per pair of 2f's.

ill post any reply ASAP so we know whats what (if they know yet!).

I thought accessory decoders were cheaper?

Ian

Before pre-ordering Ive taken the precaution of emailing Bachmann to ask about this DCC option.

if its dcc track powered with individual features controlled by discretely hidden slide switches then fine no additional expense. 

if every coach requires its own decoder i will have to cut back on my planned spending as that will turn into almost £100 per pair of 2f's.

ill post any reply ASAP so we know whats what (if they know yet!).

2f's would be more likely to have been used...biggest build of aircons.

Ian

I would like a four coach rake of blue/grey Mk2f with a 67  ala the Taunton - Cardiff that used to run a couple of years ago.

Will the new Bachmann coaches have the orange cantrail, I can easily fit the newer style warning flashes or are the coaches completely wrong for what I want ?

• Like 1

As Swallow arrived in 1987 you'll find that all the RFB conversions (and the similar RLO Lounge Cars) wore swallow from the outset.

Good opportunity for Bachmann to have a complete (and correct) Virgin rake. I'm amazed they haven't gone for these as well.

As with all modern liveries, the Virgin one has to be licensed and I expect the necessary hurdles have not yet been overcome - they may not be keen on anything that is not Pendolino or Voyager. 

• RMweb Premium

I thought accessory decoders were cheaper?

Ian

Not to date. I don't think any company has had them made in large enough quantities to get the economies of scale to kick in, but I stand to be corrected.

As I understand it, the best option at the moment is probably to get Hornby R8249s and just not connect a motor, but current prices seem to be around £12-14 which is a bit expensive. For function only decoders I think it would be unrealistic if someone needed them in quantity for them to be more than £4, and really need to be as low as £2 or less. When I saw the DCC option for these coaches, I did have a look at Bachmann's web site to see if they were also introducing an inexpensive function-only decoder, but couldn't see anything, so it looks not to be so at the moment.

• RMweb Premium

I may be completely wrong, but why would Bachmann sell both a "standard" and DCC version of the Mk2f, yet require the DCC version to have a decoder fitted before the additional functionality works? No decoder and it's effectively a more expensive standard coach... Therefore I think the DCC versions will - like the Blue Pullman - be decoder (or whatever) fitted so the lights (etc.?) work out of the box on a DCC layout.

• Like 1

You want 2x 67s. ;) 

My suspicion is they coaches will be '1970s/80s' and so won't have orange cantrail stripes or modern OHL flashes, neither of which should be a huge issue though?

A BSO and three TSO's should do you fine...

• Like 1

I may be completely wrong, but why would Bachmann sell both a "standard" and DCC version of the Mk2f, yet require the DCC version to have a decoder fitted before the additional functionality works? No decoder and it's effectively a more expensive standard coach... Therefore I think the DCC versions will - like the Blue Pullman - be decoder (or whatever) fitted so the lights (etc.?) work out of the box on a DCC layout.

dont ban k on it unless they only have the choice of the lights being on and taking power direct through insulated axles and pick ups in the bogies like the Mk1 pullman coaches with their table lamps.  My gut feeling is that these could feature an on -off function (maybe a simple switch) and/or table lamps for 1st class coaches.

its far too soon to start speculating on whether the method of control will be like the BP (doubt it, doubt they will come prefitted with any decoder at all) when we dont even know what functions the coaches will come with yet.  if they all simply have ceiling lights then i dare say it will be track power direct with one on off switch hidden underneath.

i suspect the DBSO will certainly need a decoder as its bound to have more functions than the basic dcc 2f.

One Bachmann retailer has advised that the coaches referred to will be dcc fitted (which I was rather surprised to hear).

the lighting will therefore be controllable in the same way as the Blue Pullman ie; on or off via the function decoder.  again to what extent remains to be seen-table lamps, tail lights on BSO vehicles, ?

You want 2x 67s. ;) 

My suspicion is they coaches will be '1970s/80s' and so won't have orange cantrail stripes or modern OHL flashes, neither of which should be a huge issue though?

A BSO and three TSO's should do you fine...

The 67s are not a prob :sungum: , didn't realise that they used to be T'n'T though.

The modern OHL flashes are a simple fix and I have some orange cantrail transfers knocking about somewhere.

Thanks.

Orange cant rail stripes should be a piece of cake to paint

It's the actual gutter that's painted orange on the mk2s, rather than a line on flat metal like the mk3s.

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/Coaches/Mk2-Coaching-Stock/Mk2F-TSO-5908-6184-AC2F/16392847_88mRrg#!i=1232907922&k=CKxRMQM&lb=1&s=A

Tape above and below, apply orange paint sparingly then remove tape. Voila!

jo

• Like 3