Bachmann announce Mk2f's

newbryford

Im trying to think back and not having much joy.  Those WCML rakes out of Euston that included a BSO Mk2f, they would tend to be at the 2nd class (country) end, but I dont really recall the last 1st class vehicle not being flanked by a Mk1 BG - at the time the BSOs were on these diagrams were the other ends of the rakes generally 1st class vehicles or were all the opens sandwiched between a BSO and a BG?

From my Edge Hill spotting most Liverpool - Euston would have at least a b4 bogied BG. Then the majority would have the BSO

I stand to be corrected.. :)

Ian

Im trying to think back and not having much joy.  Those WCML rakes out of Euston that included a BSO Mk2f, they would tend to be at the 2nd class (country) end, but I dont really recall the last 1st class vehicle not being flanked by a Mk1 BG - at the time the BSOs were on these diagrams were the other ends of the rakes generally 1st class vehicles or were all the opens sandwiched between a BSO and a BG?

I just selected a random Passenger Train Marshalling booklet for the L.M. in this case 1983.

For the trains out of Euston they all have a BG at the First Class (London end) apart from a Euston - Holyhead FSO (BSO at both ends, FK in the middle) and both a Euston - Inverness and a Euston - Stranraer which have the BG at the country end and a BFK at the London end. For the remaining services with Mk2 air-con stock, between 9 in the morning and 5 in the evening, the ratio is 14 rakes with a BSO at the country end and 12 without any brake at the country end.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 1

Order now placed for 8 x blue and greys dcc fitted 2f's.  Cant wait to see them develop.  I have no doubt these will be up to the usual superb standards from Bachmann.  It would be good if they took on board any pre-production criticisms aired here by those that really knew the details of these vehicles to avoid any glaring errors. 

An update (of sorts) now on the Bachmann website (Rolling Stock Part 2) but nothing we didnt really know anyway - close coupling mech (so ideal to match up with Bachmanns excellent BG's and Buffets etc), detailed underframe equipment and of course the lighting.

Not sure yet about the swallow liveried ones but that could be another 8 so the thick end of £600 to Bachmann from me.

• RMweb Premium

- close coupling mech (so ideal to match up with Bachmanns excellent BG's and Buffets etc), detailed underframe equipment and of course the lighting.

I wonder what height the NEM pocket will be? If it matches the Mk1's to close couple, or will it be at the "standard" height, thus needing an adapter to couple to the Mk1's and non-aircon Mk2's.

Will they be producing a hydraulic damper fitted B4 (as fitted to the 2f's), rather than the friction dampers of the previous B4's? (still needing to alter loads of B4's fitted to my yellow fleet)

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

No mention of how the DCC is being implemented. Interestingly, though I think we know it's for the lighting, that's not what the web page says:

The OO scale BR MK2F coaches feature:

• Highly detailed underframe
  • DCC versions available
  • Close coupling mechanism

So it's not entirely impossible (though somewhat unlikely) that the DCC may be for more than just lighting?

Order now placed for 8 x blue and greys dcc fitted 2f's.  Cant wait to see them develop.  I have no doubt these will be up to the usual superb standards from Bachmann.  It would be good if they took on board any pre-production criticisms aired here by those that really knew the details of these vehicles to avoid any glaring errors.

An update (of sorts) now on the Bachmann website (Rolling Stock Part 2) but nothing we didnt really know anyway - close coupling mech (so ideal to match up with Bachmanns excellent BG's and Buffets etc), detailed underframe equipment and of course the lighting.

Not sure yet about the swallow liveried ones but that could be another 8 so the thick end of £600 to Bachmann from me.

Not sure any reminders are really necessary. You only have to look closely at what they produced with the Blue Pullman to see they are more than capable of really knowing what the details are and listening.

Well I'm sure there are a lot of modellers who hope youve got that right Bob.

For example the level of tint to the glazing (we dont want Airfix levels of blacked out glazing) or the degree of tumblehome.  Get things like this wrong and it could prove a disappointment.

My motto is I would rather have a gun and not need it than need it and not have one.  Lets hope Bachmann do indeed take on board any feedback in the early stages if they are to get these long awaited coaches bang on.

Well I'm sure there are a lot of modellers who hope youve got that right Bob.

For example the level of tint to the glazing (we dont want Airfix levels of blacked out glazing) or the degree of tumblehome.  Get things like this wrong and it could prove a disappointment.

My motto is I would rather have a gun and not need it than need it and not have one.  Lets hope Bachmann do indeed take on board any feedback in the early stages if they are to get these long awaited coaches bang on.

Shouldn't this sort of stuff be on foolscap addressed to Barwell, Leics, rather than on a toy train forum ?

I admit a little disappointment over the variance in glazing between the 150/1 cars, but that may have been corrected in subsequent issues. The shape though - if the Mk2 pressurevents were the right shape, why would the "coffins" not be ?

• RMweb Premium

I've sent an email via Bachmann's web site 'Contact Us' page asking about how the DCC is being implemented in the Mark 2Fs, specifically asking if it will be done via a decoder in each coach or not. I'll reply here if/when I get a response.

I went into my local hobby shop yesterday and they were having a Hornby clear out.

They had MK2d's in Intercity swallow livery for £12.99 EACH 

cheap but they are welcome to them.  i dare say plenty of people will be lapping up cheap Mk2d's over the next year.

• RMweb Premium

cheap but they are welcome to them.  i dare say plenty of people will be lapping up cheap Mk2d's over the next year.

Having just found out that there may be another 3-4 ex-Gatex coaches possibly being converted for NwR use, bring it on!

Cheers,

Mick

Were the Arriva coaches they used on the S&C rakes 2F`s ?

In this photo: http://www.jim.nisbet.dsl.pipex.com/rail/feature/settle_carlisle/37408_culgaith.jpg the first three coaches are Mk2F, possibly all four.

The BSO has a large fan so it must be a Mk2F, likewise the next two coaches have the gap where the pressure ventilation cabinet would be on a Mk2D or Mk2E so they must be Mk2F as well.

• Like 1

Thanks Flood, hopefully they will get done at some point then.

In this photo: http://www.jim.nisbet.dsl.pipex.com/rail/feature/settle_carlisle/37408_culgaith.jpg the first three coaches are Mk2F, possibly all four.

The BSO has a large fan so it must be a Mk2F, likewise the next two coaches have the gap where the pressure ventilation cabinet would be on a Mk2D or Mk2E so they must be Mk2F as well.

I have a question, being a bit of a novice.... Would these look out of place on a Blue / Yellow HST? I tend to favour Bachmann coaches over Hornby, and the DCC and lights option is very attractive to an oo garden railway user (for those summer evenings etc etc)

Ta

• RMweb Premium

I have a question, being a bit of a novice.... Would these look out of place on a Blue / Yellow HST? I tend to favour Bachmann coaches over Hornby, and the DCC and lights option is very attractive to an oo garden railway user (for those summer evenings etc etc)

Ta

VERY

You need Mark 3 coaches - they look totally different

Yes, your right about it being my railway, but I do think (having just done a bit of research on google, that the differences are to obvious. Id never get away with a full rake of them. 

Its one of my favourite trains on the layout, so I will look into illuminating the stock I have and maybe get the MK II f's for another train

Edited by doublecee
  • Like 2