Bachmann announce Mk2f's

newbryford

1 hour ago, DanielP said:

I’m intrigued by this idea, did Anglia run the DBSOs with a 47 to Great Yarmouth? Was there always an AC loco on the other end? Could anyone point me in the direction of typical formations for 1997-1999? Thanks!

The DBSO could not control a 47 so they had a 47 on each end and ran to Lowestoft for the air show.

IMG_20220729_181239.jpg

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, markw said:

The DBSO could not control a 47 so they had a 47 on each end and ran to Lowestoft for the air show.

IMG_20220729_181239.jpg

I assume 47714 could though, afterall it and the dbsos were mod’d to work together.

Though ive not seen any evidence that 47714 pushed for Anglia… though these are intriguing, (note the red leds) if anyone can confirm…

(not mine/ flickr urls)

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I assume 47714 could though, afterall it and the dbsos were mod’d to work together.

Though ive not seen any evidence that 47714 pushed for Anglia.

No the control system was changed to work with electric locos

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, markw said:

No the control system was changed to work with electric locos

The original (1979) DBSO control system was designed to work with both diesels and electrics (e.g. the "engine start" function doubled up as "pan up"). However, no electric locos were fitted at that time.

• Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

The original (1979) DBSO control system was designed to work with both diesels and electrics (e.g. the "engine start" function doubled up as "pan up"). However, no electric locos were fitted at that time.

And when the electrics were fitted for use with mk3 DVTs it was an updated system that was not compatible with the DBSOs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

When youve got Rails of Sheffield asking £180 for 1 x TSO in blue and grey numerous others on ebay selling for up to £225 and current a rake on there for £849 with 3 x TSOs included I am just keeping everything crossed that this week Bachmann will scupper those silly prices and do a rerun with some new running numbers....I would like to see Midland prefix M numbered Mk2fs for true WCML trains.  Ill now stump up £95 a pop for a coach a relative bargain when you see the prices of the okd ones

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, ThaneofFife said:

When youve got Rails of Sheffield asking £180 for 1 x TSO in blue and grey numerous others on ebay selling for up to £225 and current a rake on there for £849 with 3 x TSOs included I am just keeping everything crossed that this week Bachmann will scupper those silly prices and do a rerun with some new running numbers....I would like to see Midland prefix M numbered Mk2fs for true WCML trains.  Ill now stump up £95 a pop for a coach a relative bargain when you see the prices of the okd ones

I was astonished at some of the prices recently on Tatbay, especially as there are still a few with retailers who don't discount knocking about, even in Sheffield...

• RMweb Gold
On 31/07/2022 at 17:20, ThaneofFife said:

Blue & grey ? In that case I’ve been lucky. 1x TSO  1xFO  1x BSO purchased this evening,postage included for £118. Yes it’s eBay sorry . But there is a shortage of quality coaching stock I must agree .

• RMweb Gold

If you are looking for a Bachmann mk2 on a budget, the body can be made to fit on an Airfix mk2d chassis with a bit of work.  For the brake / FO it is a quick way of building a decent 2d (once you modify the door windows).  Chassis can be modified to get 2E/f builds as well.   If like many you already own a bunch of airfix et al 2d to supply the chassis, bodies are only £23 from Bachmann (inc DBSOs)

I have used the RFB, BSO and 3 FO so far, with a couple of TSO currently on their way (one of which is potentially earmarked for a 2d conversion

more details on my layout thread

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

When I attended DEMU in July, I spoke to the representative on the Bachmann stand and he assured me that the blue/grey Mk2F’s will be re-run as well as Anglia to go with the DBSO.  We shall have to wait.

• Informative/Useful 4

thats good to know.   I dare I am not alone in wanting some  London Midland M prefixed blue/greys.

Incidentally if you are looking for some blue/grey "Inter-City" First Open's with DCC on Board then A E Oakes in the West Midlands have 2 in stock at £79.95 each.   

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, ThaneofFife said:

thats good to know.   I dare I am not alone in wanting some  London Midland M prefixed blue/greys.

Incidentally if you are looking for some blue/grey "Inter-City" First Open's with DCC on Board then A E Oakes in the West Midlands have 2 in stock at £79.95 each.   

Probably not any more 😜

On 24/08/2022 at 14:21, G-BOAF said:

Can anyine advise on the right shade of very dark grey decal to work as obliteration patches on a VT mk2f to cover up the Virgin branding? Fox only seem to do Virgin red

Can you not scratch off the virgin logo transfer? I think pheonix did a Virgin grey, and if its slightly wrong colour in a square for when the logos were removed, that should work out ok. 

• Informative/Useful 1

47 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

Can you not scratch off the virgin logo transfer? I think pheonix did a Virgin grey, and if its slightly wrong colour in a square for when the logos were removed, that should work out ok. 

Might leave some ghosting, and a patch is actually more prototypical. But either way id rather not permanently remove at this stage

Swallow TSOs with lighting appear to be back in stock with Rails of Sheffield.

I've just ordered one; they are priced at full RRP unfortunately, but with a 5% bank holiday discount on checkout at the moment (which basically covers the postage charge).

Given these are long sold out at Bachmann I wonder what is going on here, or whether a limited run were commissioned alongside the recent DBSOs. We shall see...

No other retailers appear to have had this item come back in stock, so not exactly sure what is going on, and will see if I actually get mine or if its a website error....

Edited by G-BOAF

14 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

I've just ordered one; they are priced at full RRP unfortunately, but with a 5% bank holiday discount on checkout at the moment (which basically covers the postage charge).

Given these are long sold out at Bachmann I wonder what is going on here, or whether a limited run were commissioned alongside the recent DBSOs. We shall see...

No other retailers appear to have had this item come back in stock, so not exactly sure what is going on, and will see if I actually get mine or if its a website error....

And now sold out again. Hopefully I've secured one...!

Edited by G-BOAF

• RMweb Gold
On 25/08/2022 at 21:17, G-BOAF said:

Which catalog numbers are you referring to ?

i’m finding many intercity mk2fs in stock around various shops ?

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, tractionman said:

They do... of the non-illuminated version. Rails briefly had stock of the illumianted one (39-678dc). Not sure of any retailers still with new stock. Ive been looking for a while.

• Agree 1

Update - package arrived from rails with an illuminated Mk2f swallow liveried TSO... I'm amazed

Slightly iffy red-white lining interface on one side at one end though (better than the last sample I clapped eyes on though) - this batch really was not Bachmann's finest hour in terms of the intercity livery 

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Tempfix
On 08/09/2022 at 11:42, WCML100 said:

has anyone had any luck repainting any Bachmann mk2f's? started taking one apart and finding it hard to get the glazing out and don't want to break any!

thanks

Somewhere earlier in the thread was the suggestion to put the bodyshell in the freezer for a bit, but I'm guessing would still need great care. Didn't find out about the freezer plan until after I'd done mine so can't comment but I did manage to get them out of a TSO for a repaint without damage, but it was a very slow job with scalpel and tiny screwdriver for leverage.

• Thanks 1