A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

3 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

I ain't dead, just had stroke that's all ;)

That's bad enough ! 

I sincerely hope you recover quickly from it and feel well soon.

Take good care of yourself.

G

• Agree 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

I ain't dead, just had stroke that's all ;)

Right mate. In the worst possible taste that I know you will accept. There is certain age where, if a Nurse tells you you can have a stroke , you no longer become excited.

Be well pal. Take it easy.

P

• Agree 2
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Right mate. In the worst possible taste that I know you will accept. There is certain age where, if a Nurse tells you you can have a stroke , you no longer become excited.

P

I thought you were going to tell the Ludo/Llandudno joke there for a minute...

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

P

Really, what medication are you on? They are holding me hostage - rob's fault for asking me if I had a  bed bath....

Edited by toboldlygo
Stroke, can't spelll
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

Might well have the hump , from  being captive  audience  by default - as i'm the only one who'll talk... speech therapy - bah humbug. 

Personally i'd rate them at 4 camels.

Nurse!!!

Stop groaning, you could be in a French Rehab Unit where all things administered  you know where. Olddudders will confirm that.

Ar$£

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

Might well have the hump , from  being captive  audience  by default - as i'm the only one who'll talk... speech therapy - bah humbug. 

Personally i'd rate them at 4 camels.

Nurse!!!

You called.

3 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Stop groaning, you could be in a French Rehab Unit where all things administered  you know where. Olddudders will confirm that.

Ar$£

Bend over this will help your breathing......now where did I put the KY jelly?

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

8 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Bend over this will help your breathing......now where did I put the KY jelly?

Daffodils anyone ? 

images.jpeg.f8a2bdf65531a6778f1e32aad65472d2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
On 28/11/2021 at 14:31, Mallard60022 said:

image.png.b3b32d4f9cd294c318e6008c11f00de4.pngSo Where are the 'nasties then? (Apart from SB Plate)

Lance cock looks to be a mess (not unusual on models); the joint on the outside steam pipe is exaggerated - better to have not done it at all than tooled  in the only depth that it is possible to tool it  (another common fault on models);  the valve rod should lie parallel with the running plate - ? incorrect design or poor assembly?; as already noted the shape of the chimney does not compare well with the prototype in that livery/late condition;  as already noted the safety valve cover is too tall for the engine in that livery; compared with one photo of the engine - but in 'economy green livery ex-work the BR emblem on the tank side is lightly too far from the row of rivets; I'm not sure about the front corner of the firebox but that might be down to the angle of view;  the angle of the top of sand box looks wrong;  it might be due to the angle of the photo but there appear missing rivets on the bunker side.  There don't appear to be any lifeguards on the trailing truck

Is the cab roof rain strip slightly curved? - it shouldn't be on 6167 (again it might be down to the angle of the photo.  Note that 6167 was in economy green following shopping  in April/May 1963 (and might have gone into economy green at a previous shopping?).  To me then handrail pillars on both cabside handrails appear to be underdone (or are the boiler handrail pilars are overdone?).

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

I would say the shape of the Dapol rainstrip is about right, although it is perhaps mounted a little too high up on the side of the cab roof. (the following pic is of course of a preserved example)

4141-rainstrip.jpg.ad348b676a33e70ea58f258a98522cdb.jpg

On the subject of the cab roof, the Dapol has a radius to the top portion - it should be an ellipse, i.e. slightly flatter on the top. This is a admittedly a nit-picking criticism.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Lance cock looks to be a mess (not unusual on models); the joint on the outside steam pipe is exaggerated - better to have not done it at all than tooled  in the only depth that it is possible to tool it  (another common fault on models);  the valve rod should lie parallel with the running plate - ? incorrect design or poor assembly?; as already noted the shape of the chimney does not compare well with the prototype in that livery/late condition;  as already noted the safety valve cover is too tall for the engine in that livery; compared with one photo of the engine - but in 'economy green livery ex-work the BR emblem on the tank side is lightly too far from the row of rivets; I'm not sure about the front corner of the firebox but that might be down to the angle of view;  the angle of the top of sand box looks wrong;  it might be due to the angle of the photo but there appear missing rivets on the bunker side.  There don't appear to be any lifeguards on the trailing truck

Is the cab roof rain strip slightly curved? - it shouldn't be on 6167 (again it might be down to the angle of the photo.  Note that 6167 was in economy green following shopping  in April/May 1963 (and might have gone into economy green at a previous shopping?).  To me then handrail pillars on both cabside handrails appear to be underdone (or are the boiler handrail pilars are overdone?).

Other than that I assume you like it ? :jester:

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, bgman said:

Other than that I assume you like it ? :jester:

I've got a couple pf Mr Hornby's version so the Dapol one is merely needless duplication as far as I'm concerned.    But then we sometimes seem to be living in an age of needless duplication as far as model railways are concerned which is great if they improve the breed but not so helpful otherwise.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I wonder if the assembled intelligentsia on this thread can help out a poor ignoramus like me with a query? i am looking at siphons at present, and have the drawings in Jack Slinn's book on them, but they all show 9' bogies. Can someone confirm (or deny!) that when the bogies were changed, e.g. to 7', the bogie centres would have stayed the same?

Lloyd

1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

Do I need another brake van.....

Probably not, but I am mighty tempted!

I'm in the same boat... I was getting one to replace a Bachmann model anyway, but tempted by more with the number of variations!

Are Toads like Panniers? Can you ever have enough?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Thinking ahead with these and if the sales are good than maybe they'll be encouraged to something top polling off @BMacdermott and teams wish list.;) If you read their newsletter there are several wagons ready to go to tooling that haven't been announced yet too.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Thinking ahead with these and if the sales are good than maybe they'll be encouraged to something top polling off @BMacdermott and teams wish list.;) If you read their newsletter there are several wagons ready to go to tooling that haven't been announced yet too.

I trust you have sent Rapido a message via their suggestions section of the website Robin:

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/product-suggestion/ 

I sent over full brakes including photos and descriptions etc. for about 4 full brakes, making reference to the mini-polls on here.

• Like 1