Jump to content

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.


gwrrob
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Is there something a little off in the chimney I wonder? Not a difficult fix with the Finney part at any rate.  

 

If you can get one as I've just noticed Brassmaster's don't have one listed from the range, although Gibson sell one for the 51xx , product code 4M683 , assuming it's brass.

  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

The overall finish ,looking at the images on both Hatttons and Rails websites is excellent. And the price is competitive too. The model’s Achilles heel IMHO is the chimney. If you can tolerate that ( and many will) then I’m sure this will please. On the positive side is the livery application and shade.We shall see.

 I have thought that the chimney on the released model is slightly shorter than the examples previously shown. But comments are still being made about it so it must be my imagination at work. Unfortunate that Brassmasters don’t do one .However,considering that Hornby’s efforts are not one of their best then the new Dapol has much to commend it,particularly in cosmetic terms of overall finish and paintwork. We await comments from those who have one in the post.

 

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Adding text
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

 I have thought that the chimney on the released model is slightly shorter than the examples previously shown. But comments are still being made about it so it must be my imagination at work. Unfortunate that Brassmasters don’t do one .However,considering that Hornby’s efforts are not one of their best then the new Dapol has much to commend it,particularly in cosmetic terms of overall finish and paintwork. We await comments from those who have one in the post.

 

Brassmasters do the kit and will supply components that are maybe not listed on their accessories page.

  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

Sorry, but I'll stick with my Hornby and finecast models. I won't be boring with a huge long list, but will comment that the joints between parts is awful.

As somebody thinking of buying one of these, I’d certainly be keen to know of the chief bloopers you have identified…

  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, john dew said:

Is the unusual location of the power/route indicator simply an error or was there some photographic evidence for it?

 

For pre-1942 times, to the front side of the cab aperture (with or without the shutter) seems to have been the norm. Sometime in WWII (possibly 1942), the power/route indicators started to be moved/lowered. 

 

6115-swindon-small.jpg.d9601cc32e8e08c35541a12e50bb35da.jpg

 

 

 

Edited by Miss Prism
rewrite
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

 

I believe the 'in the vicinity of the numberplate' location is a BR(W)-ism. For GWR times, to the side of the cab aperture (with or without the shutter) seems to have been the norm. (But I'm trying to find a 1942-47 pic.)

 

6115-swindon-small.jpg.d9601cc32e8e08c35541a12e50bb35da.jpg


This clearly illustrates the point you make about the chimney 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen a pic of 5140 (at Wadebridge, of all places) on the 29 August 1945, with G W R on the tanks and the power/route indicator just above the numberplate. This confirms the wartime move of the power/route indicator on the large Prairies was the same as for other classes.
 

  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

 

For pre-1942 times, to the front side of the cab aperture (with or without the shutter) seems to have been the norm. Sometime in WWII (possibly 1942), the power/route indicators started to be moved/lowered. 

 

6115-swindon-small.jpg.d9601cc32e8e08c35541a12e50bb35da.jpg

 

 

 

 

There was a war on - I seem to remember the route indicators were moved due to black out conditions ,in order for the driver's to see the route availability  without alerting the eyes of the Luftwaffe.

  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
On 25/11/2021 at 20:49, BenL said:

As somebody thinking of buying one of these, I’d certainly be keen to know of the chief bloopers you have identified…

 

@Harlequin has posted that the fit of the tanks to the footplate at the front is poor.

  • Informative/Useful 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

 

@Harlequin has posted that the fit of the tanks to the footplate at the front is poor.

  
The tank join seems to be a difficulty. Looking at the Hornby Prairie examples also on the Hattons website the fault is there too. Beginning to appear that it’s serendipity to get a example without it.

  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Wrong war.Von Stalheim was Biggles feared opponent in the First World War.ME 109’Gustav’  flew during theSecond World War. :girldevil:

 

 

Beware the Hun in the sun Algy!

  • Funny 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:


I wonder does anyone read them these days 

I do, when I have the time.  I still have the first one I bought, "The Camels are Coming", way back in the mid 60's when I was a wee nipper!  I've about twenty five or so books, so a long way off the complete collection!  Always wanted a Sopwith Camel!

 

Roja

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...