A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Using a distraction tactic that seems thee vogue at the moment! Can any of you fine persons link me to that site wot tells you about all engins and wot they dun. Thanks.

I need to see which 63XX from the west of Brizzle area (or as far east as Westbury) might be the same as the old Baccy 4358 (Gloucester) Collectors' Club thing wot arrived today. Looks not that bad really, despite the description given me earlier on here. Never been run by the way it is so smooth and not falling to bits. Covered in filth and from 10' away, who will notice the ghastly errors? (Yes I know you will Mike). 

Fortunately I have an expert that can fit Decoders to these monsterous split chassis things.

ATB all

Phil

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Using a distraction tactic that seems thee vogue at the moment! Can any of you fine persons link me to that site wot tells you about all engins and wot they dun. Thanks.

I need to see which 63XX from the west of Brizzle area (or as far east as Westbury) might be the same as the old Baccy 4358 (Gloucester) Collectors' Club thing wot arrived today. Looks not that bad really, despite the description given me earlier on here. Never been run by the way it is so smooth and not falling to bits. Covered in filth and from 10' away, who will notice the ghastly errors? (Yes I know you will Mike). 

Fortunately I have an expert that can fit Decoders to these monsterous split chassis things.

ATB all

Phil

Mange tout, Ducky. 

Is this what you're after perchance ? 

https://www.brdatabase.info/

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Maybe so and I'd be interested in the sales figures although it's the perfect option to model 4133 as shewn in the Prairie Papers. I appear to have a good 'un @Ian Hargrave ;) It ran through my live frog point work fine.

DSCN8421.JPG.8f7e780a3a9bb5eef01f5451d711d150.JPGDSCN8420.JPG.78a58a89eedcae884ca4130810af874c.JPGDSCN8418.JPG.d185b346531786fac685692bff920636.JPG

Running it on a layout, how quaint. Wot your avid followers need to know is what does it run like on poorly laid track placed on carpet. I'm informed that's the only reliable way to assess performance...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 18

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Does that show 4133 in lined black? With Gill Sans?

No, plain wartime black with no GWR on the sides. Taken at Totnes in 1945 and will be a nice addition alongside 4870 also in wartime black.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 2ManySpams said:

Running it on a layout, how quaint. Wot your avid followers need to know is what does it run like on poorly laid track placed on carpet. I'm informed that's the only reliable way to assess performance...

That’s a bit cruel chum and after all don’t you have a history too of building layouts on the carpet.4F6E5832-D00B-4F42-B69F-F68208E40568.jpeg.2e43d0d12bb149332d884a732f34c684.jpegF791F5EF-9C4A-4452-AC78-DE36F4D4BC91.jpeg.cf9a8a993d6cc37a5daee70e6220473d.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I've been asked by @BenL to take some photos of the two prairies to compare and here we see them both. Haulage capacity without modification is better with the Dapol although I think some of the detail is better on the Hornby model but other bits are better on the Dapol model. The chimney and safety valve are prime examples worthy of closer inspection. The cab roof seems different to my eyes on both models.

DSCN8429.JPG.01dcc68375793d3174ab569bebb6d1bf.JPGDSCN8430.JPG.067737361f1158ff3a490b4c37587bbd.JPGDSCN8431.JPG.d47c4e2e4062f92681cc5c723012cf99.JPG

A comparison of two models in the same livery would be instructive, I think.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I've been asked by @BenL to take some photos of the two prairies to compare and here we see them both. Haulage capacity without modification is better with the Dapol although I think some of the detail is better on the Hornby model but other bits are better on the Dapol model. The chimney and safety valve are prime examples worthy of closer inspection. The cab roof seems different to my eyes on both models.

DSCN8429.JPG.01dcc68375793d3174ab569bebb6d1bf.JPGDSCN8430.JPG.067737361f1158ff3a490b4c37587bbd.JPGDSCN8431.JPG.d47c4e2e4062f92681cc5c723012cf99.JPG

Christmas has come early, I blame the chintz that cheapens it.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The Dapol chimney certainly stands out, though in black the trench between the tank and footplate is a lot less obvious.   As ever the awful Hornby green really stands out on their example.   I think I’d be happy with either of them, and it would come down to which is the lowest price.  Though I will continue to try and resist buying one until I find a suitable photo to model (I know it would have been seen at Brent, but my new rule is that I can only buy more locos if I have a 1947 photo of it between Exeter and Plymouth)…

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the overhead view, the Dapol model would certainly benefit from the inside of the chimney being painted black.

As for which is better, I don’t know because I haven’t seen either model and I do not have one on my wanted list. If one feature sticks out as wrong to a prospective buyer on one version, go for the other, we will never all agree.

Brian

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see these two together.  Thanks Robin.  Having looked online at the Dapol and Hornby offerings it seems that my wish to represent 4117 (at NA late 30s) might best be served by Hornby's 4154, with the GWR letters changed for the roundel and the route availability disc moved to the cab shutter.  And I suppose that if I didn't like the green I could respray the whole thing.  I think all Dapol versions would require a bit of surgery.

Btw, does anyone know when the RA disc was moved from the cab shutter to just above (or sometimes just below) the number plate?

• Like 2

Thanks very much for the large Prairie comparison shots Robin. The difference in the cab profiles does stand out - I was looking at prototype pics yesterday and the Hornby version looks much better on that front. The cabs appeared to be not much higher than the whistles, and had a distinct flatter curve over the central section, as on the Hornby model.

The Dapol cab looks a bit like a half way combo of the earlier, higher cabs on the 31xx and the later, lower cabs on the 51xx.

But the Dapol GWR green looks much better than Hornby’s in other pics I’ve seen plus if you can avoid the points stalling problem, the slow speed running seems better on the Dapol. I have the Hornby version and it is a bit too much of a pocket rocket, even if it is smooth.

• Informative/Useful 4

1 minute ago, checkrail said:

Btw, does anyone know when the RA disc was moved from the cab shutter to just above (or sometimes just below) the number plate?

It was a wartime measure, certainly done from 1942 onwards but possibly a bit earlier.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2