A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

What have I missed. :D What a magnificent announcement and thanks to @The Stationmaster for his involvement in this project. He was right after all to keep saving the pennies.

I hope GWR modellers buy these in numbers, not cheap but the level of detail is mouth watering and something I've been advocating on a Western model for years. No wonder @Islesy had a smile on his face at GETS.

An early Xmas present for us all.

An inspired and much needed item. Every GW enthusiast will love these. Another cooperative result from the dynamic duo I think. Well done gents. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Should we be excited about today’s Accurascale announcement.....

Yes!

Very excited.  That’s next Christmas list sorted.

Paul.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Is that solid or L shape trussing?

Detail wise that looks up to the standard of the etched one I built last year, and all in a similar price (once you factor in the multi purchase discount and free postage.)

Very much looking forward to getting hold of them next year, hopefully I will have the Brent side of the layout "finished" by that point...

Now what we need is lots of photos of 1947 parcels trains......

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

The Siphon announcement is genuinely great news, and when you think about how widespread and long lasting the prototype was, it’s astonishing that it’s taken this long for someone to retool against the flawed Lima version. I hope Accurascale milk the tooling (:no:) and release more variants in the future, for example an M34 variant in GWR livery as I don’t think I’ve ever seen one? 

The outside framed Siphon G would be fantastic to see as well, though I doubt the tooling would be that transferable all told. 

As communicated in the product thread, I’m really not convinced that the later-build GWR version would have had a white roof but I’ve no evidence to present to Accurascale to the contrary. Halfords rattle cans it will have to be. 

All we need now is for Slaters to re-release their toplight coach kits and Hornby to announce a nice GWR full brake in January and it will be a Merry Little Christmas for all disciples of Swindon! 

Cheers, 

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire
  • Like 6
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Wow that looks wonderful, especially for those modellers who build layouts where the stock falls off regularly so one can view the super detail. 

Ha ha!  My initial thoughts were similar - fantastic detail (and I'll certainly be getting one), but when i see it from NVD running through Stoke C in a parcels train I probably won't be able to tell it apart from my Lima version on Bachmann bogies.  But all power to Accurascale  -  if their high quality stuff suits my GWR period I'll buy it, whether or not it's been available from other sources previously.

But it does reinforce a trend, and we pre-war period GW modellers must accept that we're a diminishing minority, and that few of items we'd like to see will be produced RTR unless they had a long life stretching well into the BR era or later.  That's the market.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, County of Yorkshire said:

I hope Accurascale milk the tooling (:no:) and release more variants in the future, for example an M34 variant in GWR livery as I don’t think I’ve ever seen? 

They did mention the popular BR blue ENPARTS livery will be in batch 2 so they are clearly planning  for a second batch.  I would guess a GWR liveried M34 is a cert for that.  Though given the simplicity of painting I will just do my own

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

28 minutes ago, County of Yorkshire said:

As communicated in the product thread, I’m really not convinced that the later-build GWR version would have had a white roof but I’ve no evidence to present to Accurascale to the contrary. Halfords rattle cans it will have to be. 

@County of Yorkshirei think I will have a search through all my books at the weekend and see what I can find on the roof front.  I’m with you, the roof should be grey on anything built post war (and on the BR branded gwr example)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, checkrail said:

….But it does reinforce a trend, and we pre-war period GW modellers must accept that we're a diminishing minority, and that few of items we'd like to see will be produced RTR unless they had a long life stretching well into the BR era or later.  That's the market.

Ah! Never say never, look at how many pre-1923 grouping locos we are getting now… mainly the SECR…

But even so…. I remain hopeful :-)

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

@County of Yorkshirei think I will have a search through all my books at the weekend and see what I can find on the roof front.  I’m with you, the roof should be grey on anything built post war (and on the BR branded gwr example)

On the Siphon thread it's been mentioned that painting roofs grey commenced in 1941, prior to which air attacks had been mainly been night bombing raids from altitude, with specific attacks on trains having been rare. Parcels railcar outshopped in April cited as example. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to be a party pooper but I'll stick with my four modified/detailed Lima Siphons, thanks all the same. Now, had it been a GWR full brake at a similar price point that would have been a different story...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, checkrail said:

Ha ha!  My initial thoughts were similar - fantastic detail (and I'll certainly be getting one), but when i see it from NVD running through Stoke C in a parcels train I probably won't be able to tell it apart from my Lima version on Bachmann bogies.  But all power to Accurascale  -  if their high quality stuff suits my GWR period I'll buy it, whether or not it's been available from other sources previously.

But it does reinforce a trend, and we pre-war period GW modellers must accept that we're a diminishing minority, and that few of items we'd like to see will be produced RTR unless they had a long life stretching well into the BR era or later.  That's the market.

Clearly the manufacturers never got that memo, judging by the amount of grouping and pre grouping releases in recent years ;)

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Denbridge said:

Clearly the manufacturers never got that memo, judging by the amount of grouping and pre grouping releases in recent years ;)

I'll believe the manufacturers are serious about pre-grouping models when they have picked a few prototypes that carried less ornate liveries than most they've done so far.

John

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Denbridge said:

You're right of course - should have chosen my words more carefully!  Manufacturers are certainly reflecting the revival of interest in the pre-grouping era.  My point was a narrower one, that a GWR prototype that lasted well into BR (W) days has a greater chance of being a success for a manufacturer than one that was extinct by nationalisation, and that we pre-war period modellers just have to accept this.. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

58 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

I'll believe the manufacturers are serious about pre-grouping models when they have picked a few prototypes that carried less ornate liveries than most they've done so far.

John

Remember that the vast majority of those buying models aren't what may be termed 'serious' modellers. Colourful liveries sell and the manufacturers have latched on to that, to our benefit.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, checkrail said:

You're right of course - should have chosen my words more carefully!  Manufacturers are certainly reflecting the revival of interest in the pre-grouping era.  My point was a narrower one, that a GWR prototype that lasted well into BR (W) days has a greater chance of being a success for a manufacturer than one that was extinct by nationalisation, and that we pre-war period modellers just have to accept this.. 

I still regret the decision by Bachmann to model a Hawksworth auto trailer which had such a short time in service,  when a Collett or Churchward diagram would have been far more attractive, carry more livery variations over a much longer spell in traffic.

Edited by Denbridge
  • Like 2
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

I still regret the decision by Bachmann to model a Hawksworth auto trailer which had such a short time in service,  when a Collett or Churchward diagram would have been far more attractive, carry more livery variations over a much linger spell in traffic.

Maybe they expected Hornby to bring out a Collett one.... years ago!

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Morning all. It's that time of year again where I send my best Christmas wishes to the watchers, friends, followers and those who contribute to this thread. Another testing year with Covid and other health problems for several on here. Surely 2022 has got to be better.

Happy Christmas from ANTB towers.

DSCN8415.JPG.f4e571ab7e2ff72f93487c68d4bf33cd.JPGDSCN8416.JPG.c7fdbc8f5be0ce9d3c6a4d985fd8ec6e.JPGDSCN8417.JPG.689d40ae31d9686dbf7ac5a6cac74636.JPG

Satan's found his human sacrifice - hold on , he looks vaguely familiar ;) :D

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1