A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Greetings to you as well Robin.

Been a good year on ANTB with some nice additions to the locomotive and rolling stock department. 

It's always a pleasure to look in on ANTB for the modelling and friendly banter and advice. 

Have a good Festive period and I hope Father Accurascale brings news of a 78xx Class shortly.. :D

Thanks once again Robin... 

Cheers, 

Mark 

SDR 2009 Collett 3205

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Manor alert. All versions of Dapol’s new model available to view on Rails website in the variety of liveries and lining planned for current production. Personally,I’m not too struck on the positioning of the tender lining on some.Presumably these are pre production images .See what you think anyway.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/12/2021 at 19:51, gwrrob said:

I can't believe they're not doing the Palesthorpes Sausage livery.:D

I was wondering if the esteemed sausage van was actually one. Tipton’s finest. Sadly missed. Don’t believe there are any retail emporiums near who might be persuaded to sponsor a special though.In any case,how many will remember Palethorpes ?  Apart from your good self Robin  and creaking gates like me . They used to produce a wonderful smoked pork variety which was eaten cold. Good with a crisp apple for lunch. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
On 16/12/2021 at 15:53, The Fatadder said:

Is that solid or L shape trussing?

Detail wise that looks up to the standard of the etched one I built last year, and all in a similar price (once you factor in the multi purchase discount and free postage.)

Very much looking forward to getting hold of them next year, hopefully I will have the Brent side of the layout "finished" by that point...

Now what we need is lots of photos of 1947 parcels trains......

If you haven't got it already I do have details of all the booked through vans on passenger trains passing through Brent for the winter of 1946/47.  But no vehicle running numbers although some were very obviously in regular workings, with rotating balances, between Paddington and Plymouth/Penzance.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

If you haven't got it already I do have details of all the booked through vans on passenger trains passing through Brent for the winter of 1946/47.  But no vehicle running numbers although some were very obviously in regular workings, with rotating balances, between Paddington and Plymouth/Penzance.

No I haven’t seen that document, but would certainly be very interested to see a photo of it please if you wouldn’t mind.

thanks

On 16/12/2021 at 12:28, Neal Ball said:

Ah! Never say never, look at how many pre-1923 grouping locos we are getting now… mainly the SECR

<<<<<<<,<<<,,,,,,,,,I dunno!  Both kinds of Counties, a Saint, Grange and a 4700.  Nothing from Brighton there, but hope springs eternal!>>>>>>>>>>>.

But even so…. I remain hopeful :-)

Good to see Christmas has arrived  at South Brent.  We should all be so lucky to live in this fairy tale place ( at least the station and environs)  A Merry Christmas to every good GW boy and all those others who won't be as lucky! 

Brian

Edited by brianusa
+++++
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Manor alert. All versions of Dapol’s new model available to view on Rails website in the variety of liveries and lining planned for current production. Personally,I’m not too struck on the positioning of the tender lining on some.Presumably these are pre production images .See what you think anyway.

They still don't appear to have done anything about the joke firebox, and a bit of misplaced lining pales into insignificance beside that. The top of the boiler seems to slope up much more steeply from the smokebox than it should, resulting in a pronounced peak where they meet, so the whole boiler/firebox assembly appears to be "out".

Compare my pic of 7802 with the pic from Rails website. The front of the firebox on the model appears to be almost in line with the cab roof! I don't think the lighting helps, but it's definitely not where it should be. The real thing is much closer to straight and level along the top.

On this showing, my Manor will be coming from Accurascale.

John

WP_2018.06.28_SVR_209e [7802] copy.jpg

Lydham_20Manor_6126e21b-6972-4db2-997a-018ebee028dc_720x.jpg

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Yet another hymn to laser-scanning inaccuracy.

Think I need an eye test. Completely missed that slope which I agree stands out glaringly with even a cursory look. Mea Culpa etc. Which leads me to another depressing conclusion. As the pre release Prairies were identical to what we eventually got, it seems more than likely that the slope is at this moment in transit . The Prairie chimney is one thing. This is entirely another. Any mileage in finger crossing ?  

I don’t like comparisons .However in the case of the Manor,the direct communication here and elsewhere with the Accurascale boys and their talented team is ,if you excuse the metaphor,a valuable currency.They listen and respond which is reassuring.   

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

They still don't appear to have done anything about the joke firebox, and a bit of misplaced lining pales into insignificance beside that. The top of the boiler seems to slope up much more steeply from the smokebox than it should, resulting in a pronounced peak where they meet, so the whole boiler/firebox assembly appears to be "out".

Compare my pic of 7802 with the pic from Rails website. The front of the firebox on the model appears to be almost in line with the cab roof! I don't think the lighting helps, but it's definitely not where it should be. The real thing is much closer to straight and level along the top.

John

Damn they've put a harrier ski jump there ;) 

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

John

Grief, that is carp. Sorry.

P

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Grief, that is carp. Sorry.

P

And you have to ask yourself why this seemingly goes unnoticed and unchecked. Surely someone at Dapol has better eyesight than mine. Hopefully this is a calamity that can be stopped in time . A real disaster and one that was avoidable. What a shame.

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

And you have to ask yourself why this seemingly goes unnoticed and unchecked. Surely someone at Dapol has better eyesight than mine. Hopefully this is a calamity that can be stopped in time . A real disaster and one that was avoidable. What a shame.

It is, absolutely. I have found my Dapol engines to be good runners and nicely detailed. I love my 63XX s, both steam and Diseasel; the latter is a really smooth runner and powerful too, unlike the prototype. 

This Manor is a real disaster (Said in Reville Horwood accent). It must be redone.