A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

.....This Manor is a real disaster (Said in Reville Horwood accent). It must be redone. 

I suspect it's too late, they are probably on the high seas. 

Dapol seems to be very secretive with their work... if they shared progress, maybe this all could have been avoided.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

It is, absolutely. I have found my Dapol engines to be good runners and nicely detailed. I love my 63XX s, both steam and Diseasel; the latter is a really smooth runner and powerful too, unlike the prototype. 

This Manor is a real disaster (Said in Reville Horwood accent). It must be redone. 

In a perfect world yes….but sadly no options available there atm. The Manors will by now have been signed off at the factory gates money exchanged  and at sea . We can hope that the firebox shape has been tweaked prior to this. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

I suspect it's too late, they are probably on the high seas. 

Dapol seems to be very secretive with their work... if they shared progress, maybe this all could have been avoided.

Well as you might know there’s an unfortunate history in the relationship between Dapol and RMWEB that closed that avenue down. Sadly,it’s understandable and all due to wildly irresponsible posting by one or two forum members. Apparently they have their own channels of communication linked to their own website.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Well as you might know there’s an unfortunate history in the relationship between Dapol and RMWEB that closed that avenue down. Sadly,it’s understandable and all due to wildly irresponsible posting by one or two forum members. Apparently they have their own channels of communication linked to their own website.

Yes indeed... but I for one find their website awful to try and navigate, so generally avoid it.

If you try searching for (say) a loco, you will be I am hard pressed to find it.

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

As someone who is impartial, the Accurascale would be, without hesitation, the one I would go for. It looks 'right' and the paintwork seems somewhat 'richer'. 

In short, it looks like a proper scale model. 

The Dapol offering sadly doesn't. 

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

In short, it looks like a proper scale model. 

It takes me back to 2014 when Hatton's and Dave Jones announced their super detailed King. I said at the time it had the potential to be the best ever rtr GWR model.

I feel I can now say that about the Accurascale Manor.:read: Absolutely beautiful.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, gwrrob said:

It takes me back to 2014 when Hatton's and Dave Jones announced their super detailed King. I said at the time it had the potential to be the best ever rtr GWR model.

I feel I can now say that about the Accurascale Manor.:read: Absolutely beautiful.

I am being tempted and can no longer justify "I don't need one!" - The more I say it, the more it sounds as if I man protesting too much!

It looks gorgeous.... 

Is this the best loco we have seen RTR for the GWR?

Edited by Neal Ball
best loco ever?
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Dave Who? :read:

still haven't seen a clear shot of the rear of the tender.

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

I am being tempted and can no longer justify "I don't need one!" - The more I say it, the more it sounds as if I man protesting too much!

It looks gorgeous.... 

Is this the best loco we have seen RTR for the GWR?

I’m having much the same thoughts, Ans edging closer and closer to ordering one 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

closer please..

.. the coupling hook.

aha apologies. The coupler isn’t fitted to the tender but you can see the square black box which is the kinematic mounted nem socket that will accept any standard coupler (a mini tension lock is included )

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, McC said:

aha apologies. The coupler isn’t fitted to the tender but you can see the square black box which is the kinematic mounted nem socket that will accept any standard coupler (a mini tension lock is included )

I should've been specific, the hole where the dummy coupling hook goes in - I don't want to drill holes in the buffer beam unnecessarily ;) 

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

I should've been specific, the hole where the dummy coupling hook goes in - I don't want to drill holes in the buffer beam unnecessarily ;) 

IMG_20211002_133909_1.jpg.b647bfe93b86dcd973ebb2d66000c89b.jpg.9eedb910d0ebf71c8a0aa761140c98db.jpg.db3033354d838d30ef9962026071304c.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Neal Ball said:

Where is the "WOW" button? that details is A-Maz-Ing!

Such a shame, it will be hidden by an adjacent carriage....

the water filler lid even opens. Just in case you might want to model the tender being filled. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, McC said:

the water filler lid even opens. Just in case you might want to model the tender being filled. 

I had forgotten that, thanks for reminding me.... is it servo operated under DCC control? 

It all looks exquisite, thank you.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

Robin

A while back there was some conversation here re buffer beam rivet detail, on the manors.

I did take a pic or 2, but by the time I had uploaded them, the conversation had moved on,

and I forgot about it.

However whilst looking to make an e-card for Christmas I stumbled across what I had captured.

So please have the following  - 7828 Odney Manor, with suitable greetings for Christmas

and the new year. (And my thanks for the prompt to buy myself a 16xx for Christmas a few

weeks back, just got to get it run in< when I'm allowed to drive again )

Merry Xmas

TONY

DSC_1596 (2).JPG

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

filled with drool, no doubt ;) 

I wonder if @Ian Hargrave has calmed down(and taken the pills) from all the excitement and commented on the shade of green...

Excitement. I dimly remember what that was.  It is significant that the livery has received no comment from me.Should I not have found it acceptable, I would have declaimed it on ANTB and the Accurascale thread.and felt so p####d off ,I would have reached for my box of Furosemide and overdosed. For those of you who are unaware of what that is,you can Google it. Yes both greens get a ten from Len.. As does the model. 

Talking of the unlamented Dave Jones,Robin will remember that fateful day at the O2 Arena when he lectured the assembled gathering on how he was going to beat the system with his new models and retire rich to the Caribbean.What utter fools we all were to be taken in by this man. But then,he dangled before us the prospect of such delights to come we were captivated. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 16/12/2021 at 13:15, BenL said:

This really is fantastic news! 

Now need to find my Siphon book to see if the 2 GWR O33s in the first release were in the same condition in 1947, or whether they were converted during the war.

I guess another option for us postwar GWR modellers might be the ‘transitional’ GWR-BR O59 with the ‘W’ removed - just need to check when that one came out the workshops…

Just to follow up on the suitability of the Accurascale GWR Siphon announcements for post-war GWR modellers, I've now had a look at some of the relevant books I have available.

First up, O33 2924 - According to the Slinn and Clarke Siphon book, she wasn't converted to ambulance train service during the war and therefore would have been in original O33 condition post-war.

@County of Yorkshire suggested that given her 1940 build date, she would likely have had a grey rather than white roof, which was my assumption too given the GWR's wartime switch to grey roofs on coaching stock. But @Accurascale Fran suggested he had a photo of 2924 as built with a white roof. In Russell Coach Appendix Vol 2, Fig 522, there is a pic of 2937, which was built in the lot following 2924's between 1940-45, and it has what clearly looks like a grey roof to me - apart from the shade, it's clear that it doesn't have the area below the roof rain strip painted brown, which was a characteristic feature of Siphon G roofs painted white; once the GWR switched to grey, the whole roof went grey, both above and below the rain strip.

The caption describes this image as showing 2937 as outshopped in 1947 so if Russell has got the year right, this suggests the pic was taken after its first post-build repaint and that the roof might not have been painted grey when originally built. Either way, it suggests that even if some Siphon Gs built in the early war years were emerging with white roofs, they were repainted grey during the course of the war and possibly into the early postwar period.

Anyway, the short of it is that by my reading, Accurascale's 2924 is in appropriate physical condition for post-war GWR running, but would have likely acquired a grey roof by then - so that's one pre-order from me and a polite request to @toboldlygo to get his grey paint out for me in early 2023 :mail: (2924 is listed in Slinn and Clarke as having a 'Penzance and Nottingham NE' branding added in August 1946 - the removal date is not noted but an opportunity for someone to produce a transfer for anyone who wants to include this!)

As for O33 2789, Slinn and Clarke list her as being converted to M34 after wartime ambulance train service, so she's not suitable for post-war running - presumably she can be renumbered to another of her lot that wasn't converted to ambulance service during the war.

And lastly O59 W2780, which as I believe @The Fatadder suggested could be suitable for post-war GWR running with the removal of the 'W' in front of the number. Unfortunately as I think @The Fatadder has already noted, Slinn and Clarke don't provide the completion dates for the O59 and M34 conversions, but it suggests these were done soon after the end of ambulance train service and therefore presumably under the GWR. There are two pics in Slinn and Clarke of M34s with GWR monograms, and one pic of a 059 which just about looks like it has a GWR monogram under the grime. This again suggests the conversions  were completed in GWR times. I really would have thought they would have received grey rather than white roofs though, given  that the GWR continued its wartime grey roof policy into the postwar period. Certainly the photos of the M34s and O59 mentioned above look like they have grey roofs, although it's hard to be sure given the layers of grime. Personally, I would be making another request to @toboldlygo for a respray to a grey roof :help:  So I'm very tempted to add W2780 to my preorder, I'd just like a clearer idea of when she would have emerged as an O59 to be sure she'd have seen GWR action before BR took over...

Anyway, apologies Robin and all Nodders for what's turned out to be a long post, I hope it's of vague interest/use to someone other than me!

Cheers,

Ben

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2