A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Presumably the old coach is this one - text from the Cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk website:

B&WR
GWR Victorian Bogie Saloon Coach
Chris Bellett

Hi Keith, Some news from the B&WR for you:

"The South Devon Railway and Bodmin and Wenford Railway are pleased to announce that GWR First Class Saloon 9044 has arrived at Buckfastleigh for recommissioning work and use on the railway during the summer.

The carriage was built in 1881 and is believed to be the oldest surviving GWR bogie coach in existence. Originally used as a family saloon for the high society, it has supposedly seen passengers such as King Edward VII, then Prince of Wales, and opera singer Madame Patti. In 1936 it was converted to a Civil Engineers Saloon and was travelled in by officers of the Great Western Railway and then British Railways until it was withdrawn in the 1960s. The carriage was restored to use in 2013 and has since operated on special days from it’s home at Bodmin station, Cornwall.

Whilst at the South Devon Railway, recommissioning work and maintenance will be carried out on 9044 before it is used for a period during the summer season. It’s debut on the SDR is expected to be during the lines 150th Anniversary event between the 30th April and 2nd May, where passengers will be able to experience what travel was like over 140 years ago.

David Nelson-Brown, Chairman of the Bodmin and Wenford Railway PLC said “ We are delighted to be able to enter into this partnership with our friends at the South Devon Railway. Covid created backlogs in our workshop has side-lined this historic vehicle for too long and this loan to South Devon will see the carriage back in traffic much quicker than at home. We are looking forward to seeing it in action this summer across the River Tamar and are already making plans for its use in Cornwall next year.

Kind Regards, Chris Bellett. Retired S&T Engineer, CRS Member

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Not railway related at all but where was I standing this lunch time .688F2232-DFFB-4DF6-A369-A876C717ED55.thumb.jpeg.4174f5453ac90beb9c9aec5c7d6daa38.jpeg

Meanwhile I was photographing a Manor at lunchtime…..

Sadly not the Accurascale one….

Odney Manor at the WSR…. & travelled behind the mogul 9351

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

The closest I've been to a Great Western loco recently is riding my motorcycle through the woods near Witherslack Hall.

Does that even count?

Witherslack_Hall.jpg.a1d8e54aa24cc38d95400992272fd98a.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Picture
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Not railway related at all but where was I standing this lunch time .688F2232-DFFB-4DF6-A369-A876C717ED55.thumb.jpeg.4174f5453ac90beb9c9aec5c7d6daa38.jpeg

Porthcurno Beach viewed from the Minack Theatre direction ?

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, cary hill said:

Porthcurno Beach viewed from the Minack Theatre direction ?

Absolutely spot on David and the cliff face walk that’s not for the unfit or faint hearted. They wouldn’t let us in either!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Something to note is even on a clean engine the corners of the cab and difficult to reach / hot parts etc have a filter of grime... Cabs are only ever as clean as they are modelled on an exhibition engine ... Never on one that works for it's keep.

Something that is often overlooked on models

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, gwrrob said:

5011 looking splendid in the afternoon Cornish sunshine.6D550590-57D4-41C3-ADBF-799589B50F18.thumb.jpeg.c05a30a101e8f2c24eb7325f4e89ab56.jpegC0B0CB0F-1C55-4D2F-8AD0-30A9FF0905D5.thumb.jpeg.ee303a9a847b21f865392177de344c6a.jpeg

I do understand why they built the bridge but for me it's destroyed most of the magic and drama of the place.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 15/07/2022 at 18:32, gwrrob said:

5011 looking splendid in the afternoon Cornish sunshine.

OMG! I had no idea. The village was always tasteless enough, with the The `Sword In The Stone café etc

St E is right - the rugged splendour of the castle is ruined. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

image.png.75f13384384c0de97a5d7fdbf95f0080.png

Rapido has shared an render of the GWR 15xx in GWR green to gauge if there is any interest in them producing this livery. Here is what they have said on their site:

"Continuing our ‘what if?’ theme we thought we would give GWR era modellers the opportunity to add a 15xx to their collection. The 15xx was actually designed and ordered by the GWR – but delivered to the fledgling British Railways in 1949. Had nationalisation occurred later, or not at all this might have been!

We require a minimum number of orders before this product can proceed. If you would like to place an expression of interest please do so using the form below – if we reach sufficient orders by the time the order book closes on the 1st September we will email you to allow you to place your order as the model enters production."

You can register your interest here: https://rapidotrains.co.uk/br-15xx-pannier-tank/ (Just scroll down to the bottom). 

I know I certainly would love one of these. I already planned on taking the plain 15xx and repainting into this livery. 

Edited by Ribird
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Ribird said:

image.png.75f13384384c0de97a5d7fdbf95f0080.png

Rapido has shared an render of the GWR 15xx in GWR green to gauge if there is any interest in them producing this livery. Here is what they have said on their site:

"Continuing our ‘what if?’ theme we thought we would give GWR era modellers the opportunity to add a 15xx to their collection. The 15xx was actually designed and ordered by the GWR – but delivered to the fledgling British Railways in 1949. Had nationalisation occurred later, or not at all this might have been!

We require a minimum number of orders before this product can proceed. If you would like to place an expression of interest please do so using the form below – if we reach sufficient orders by the time the order book closes on the 1st September we will email you to allow you to place your order as the model enters production."

You can register your interest here: https://rapidotrains.co.uk/br-15xx-pannier-tank/ (Just scroll down to the bottom). 

I know I certainly would love one of these. I already planned on taking the plain 15xx and repainting into this livery. 

certainly rather tempting, though to be honest it would for me suffer from the same issue as the 94xx in  justifying a need for it in south devon

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4