A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Rather pretty if you like that sort of thing.  Definitely better looking than NCB 'red'.  And not even half as daft as some of the loony liveries KR are offering in order to squeeze a few more sales out of its GT3 model (although oddly they aren't offering that in the livery of the only British railway to actually order gas turbine powered locos).

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

the same issue as the 94xx in  justifying a need for it in south devon

You need to have a '57 scenario Rich.

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

certainly rather tempting, though to be honest it would for me suffer from the same issue as the 94xx in  justifying a need for it in south devon

Newton Abbot carriage sidings and trip working to Happy Valley  (Goodrington carriage sidings)....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Where?

Used to be quite an interesting place as it had 4 aspect colour light signals with a yellow aspect at the bottom.  Apparently it also used to have an engine shed and works at some time as well.   And nowadays it seems to have connections between trains on all sorts of routes you'd never have really thought of.  However one of them can get you from the Central Line to the DLR and thence to a rather nice pub in the Isle of Dogs - so it has (had) its uses. (The Liz Line and DLR connection at Canary Wharf now provides a much quicker route from Paddington to said pub.)

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, John Besley said:

Happy Valley  (Goodrington carriage sidings)....

Of course now the less glamourous overspill car park. Incidentally, since Covid, the station has closed, again, at Goodrington as trains don't stop here anymore.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Clive, dear Heart, you may call me a wally as much as you like, but less of the 'old', please!

Sorry my Captain, but did post a picture of a Wally, something fish and chip shops here in Lincolnshire they sadly do not have.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Of course now the less glamourous overspill car park. Incidentally, since Covid, the station has closed, again, at Goodrington as trains don't stop here anymore.

I must confess I hadn't spotted that one, the best evening runs sound wise where the non stop to Dartmouth for the Regatta .... The sound of Lydham getting a workout had to be heard to be believed, I could hear it from my house pretty much all the way to Hookhills Viaduct and then lost it in the cutting

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Used to be quite an interesting place as it had 4 aspect colour light signals with a yellow aspect at the bottom.  Apparently it also used to have an engine shed and works at some time as well.   And nowadays it seems to have connections between trains on all sorts of routes you'd never have really thought of.  However one of them can get you from the Central Line to the DLR and thence to a rather nice pub in the Isle of Dogs - so it has (had) its uses. (The Liz Line and DLR connection at Canary Wharf now provides a much quicker route from Paddington to said pub.)

Can you please enlighten me as to the establishment on the Isle of Dogs, which purveys alcoholic beverages, I'm not very au fait with the Isle of Dogs.

Thanks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Can you please enlighten me as to the establishment on the Isle of Dogs, which purveys alcoholic beverages, I'm not very au fait with the Isle of Dogs.

Thanks.

Rovers Return. 

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Thanks.

That could be the Waterman’s Arms.  

They used to have a band called The Levity Lancers, in the style of Bonzo Dog .

In the 60s a good night out would be walking through The Greenwich Foot Tunnel  ( not Brunei’s!)   to it and singing all the way back to the car afterwards, with such wonderful acoustics !!

Its still going but many of the pubs have closed on the Isle of Dogs recently.

Edited by Limpley Stoker
Just looked up the tunnel, Binnie not Brunel in 1906!
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Thanks.

The George, Glengall Close - literally across the road (well two roads to be precise)  from Crossharbour DLR station. And it is actually used by real Docklands locals although some yuppies do turn up.  gGood selection of alcoholic beverages and the food is pretty good (not that I've been there since 2019 and the website does appear to indicate the marketing might have changed somewhat).   A group of us from RN Mweb have met there for lunch ona couple of occasions.

Plus of course an ideal spot to do the southern end of the DLr which has some very interesting sights including a good view of the lifting bridge across Deptford Creek on the SR line just east of Greenwich station

View 1 from the roadside outside Crossharbour station

439266378_George1.jpg.5191aecf2c45d2dd524831c567b2ba42.jpg

View across Glengall Close

1260729871_TheGeorge.jpg.09208b3ab8d2c2279a87460684ab8b98.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3