A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
On 20/07/2022 at 19:30, gwrrob said:

She also looks splendid as seen at Saltern Cove. No apology for shewing this shot again.

7820.jpg.e2bb2a638623c17cb349ebbf435101e7.jpg

2114429795_1TorbayHeritageWE2012.jpg.e937170f31b1d6998879e0ee1cdded20.jpg

Torbay Heritage weekend 2012... Apologies if I've posted it before

• Like 19

For some reason, I can't get to like Manors in black.  Whether its the lining or the red name plate, I still see GW green!  Same goes for Halls similarly decorated.  Black, traditionally was always for goods engines especially when they got a bit grubby as it didn't show much difference.  A polished 'namer' painted  green and all the brass though, sets it off as befits a noble breed of locomotives🙂!

Brian.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, brianusa said:

For some reason, I can't get to like Manors in black.  Whether its the lining or the red name plate, I still see GW green!  Same goes for Halls similarly decorated.  Black, traditionally was always for goods engines especially when they got a bit grubby as it didn't show much difference.  A polished 'namer' painted  green and all the brass though, sets it off as befits a noble breed of locomotives🙂!

Brian.

Funny isn't it? One of my favourite liveries is BR lined black with red name/numberplates.

Each to their own!

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, brianusa said:

Brian.

I don’t mind the black but the ‘LNWR’ lining and red backed plates makes me wince!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 21/07/2022 at 15:56, St Enodoc said:

Funny isn't it? One of my favourite liveries is BR lined black with red name/numberplates.

Each to their own!

Perhaps its an age thing!  I was a fully fledged train spotter before 1948 and probably resented any change.  It was OK for the other Big Three to go their own way but not my GWR!😇

Brian.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Where's 'Mallard' these days?  Haven't seen any of his posts for a while! 

The CRS reports that the Friary stub has been cut back to the maintenance depot so no more docks traffic or specials to the loop.

Brian.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, brianusa said:

The CRS reports that the Friary stub has been cut back to the maintenance depot so no more docks traffic or specials to the loop.

Brian.

It was cut back from the docks at least 12 years ago although there was stub left which appears to have gone nowhere apart from enduing adjacent to a small scrap yard a bit south of Laira Bridge.  This yard is on the inland side of the railway so is not the shipbreaking site you might remember - well visible from Laira Bridge - which was known as Martins Wharf and operated by Davis & Cann (who also had a breaking yard on the Pomphlett side of the Plym).  The Davis & Cann site at Martins Wharf - where I can remember warships and submarines being broken up - was closed in 1993 and that area is now the site operated by Plymouth Boatyard and Marina Ltd and very different from what used to be there.

All of which means that the remaining stub of that line served virtually nothing which is presumably why it has finally succumbed.  Presumably the line has not been cut back as far as the depot at Laira or has the carriage washing plant etc also been relocated?

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

It was cut back from the docks at least 12 years ago although there was stub left which appears to have gone nowhere apart from enduing adjacent to a small scrap yard a bit south of Laira Bridge.  This yard is on the inland side of the railway so is not the shipbreaking site you might remember - well visible from Laira Bridge - which was known as Martins Wharf and operated by Davis & Cann (who also had a breaking yard on the Pomphlett side of the Plym).  The Davis & Cann site at Martins Wharf - where I can remember warships and submarines being broken up - was closed in 1993 and that area is now the site operated by Plymouth Boatyard and Marina Ltd and very different from what used to be there.

All of which means that the remaining stub of that line served virtually nothing which is presumably why it has finally succumbed.  Presumably the line has not been cut back as far as the depot at Laira or has the carriage washing plant etc also been relocated?

The track now ends beyond the servicing platform approximately at the site of the old Friary Junction.  The wash plants, etc. remain in their former positions.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Mike_Walker said:

The track now ends beyond the servicing platform approximately at the site of the old Friary Junction.  The wash plants, etc. remain in their former positions.

So presumably most of that long platform on the washing machine line has been abandoned because it runs for some distance south of the site of Friary Jcn signal box and the junction itself.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

So presumably most of that long platform on the washing machine line has been abandoned because it runs for some distance south of the site of Friary Jcn signal box and the junction itself.

When I was working, I did what I could to keep the stub of line down to the scrapyard alive. There was much talk about 10 years ago of a possible scheme to relay about a quarter of a mile further on, beyond the scrap yard and the then stop blocks, to Victoria Wharf, for imported materials to be loaded to rail. This was a NR Property-led scheme, but it evidently came to nought, more's the pity.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
On 29/07/2022 at 21:41, brianusa said:

Brian.

Not deceased yet Brian. Just recovering from Bionic implants.

Ar$£

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold

Can any knowledgeable followers tell me if the mink D was still being used post war and therefore had the small lettering applied or were they withdrawn by then.

E71C5E22-98B2-4104-A306-CF4E34E4CA2C.jpeg.56ab7e98db1c62d711f9340c58957acf.jpeg

• Like 14

16 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Can any knowledgeable followers tell me if the mink D was still being used post war and therefore had the small lettering applied or were they withdrawn by then.

Pretty sure there were still examples plodding around Robin. I’m away from my books at the mo but can look for a pic tomorrow if no one can confirm in the meantime.

Edited by BenL
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, gwrrob said:

GWR Wagons before 1948, vol.2 (Cheona Publications) has a photo, (dated 1949!) of a Mink D, albeit one of the 1906 V9 batch with diagonal strapping outboard of the doors, rather that the X-pattern represented in the Parkside kit. 

It has the BR "W" prefix added to what is clearly the GW numbering, and there is a suggestion of patch repainting to the planks above, where the small lettering would have been, if applied. No evidence of a large G W showing through, either.

It's also been modernised with twin-bonnet ends, a modification I would expect to be shared with other post-war survivors. I'm doing one (a V11 with much-modification of the kit's underframe) in Enparts guise and have substituted CooperCraft ends. AIUI few, if any, Minks retained the earlier ventilation arrangements beyond the 1930s (I stand to be corrected on that as I have only a "working knowledge" of the subject). 

The planks on my replacement ends don't line up with those on the sides, but photos show they didn't tally on the real things, either, and the discrepancy looks spot-on. 😇

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
Paragraph 2 expanded for clarity
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

it would certainly be a smaller size G W, I can ask the oracle- though with his recent bereavement an answer may take some time.

• Friendly/supportive 2