A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I keep thinking about ordering the Dyson / milk trailers, though the cost of postage puts me off until my wifes Australian relatives next visit the UK (assuming I dont get on and do my own by then).  There are  certainly some interesting prototypes on the website.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

The new Dapol Manor has surfaced with photos courtesy of Hatton's. I remember not that long ago talking with @46444 and hoping that Bachmann would do an upgrade on theirs and here we are a few years later with two manufacturers bringing it out.

7814.jpg.25257dcf3546940d1f10b37d7a87b033.jpg

7814.jpga.jpg.04f7f734f20cbbbe44f567ad77d6fdef.jpg

7814.jpgb.jpg.6f650f90ac414e5cffcf3d5a1907d8e1.jpg

7814.jpgc.jpg.150464b9336d58622af3f0842647ecda.jpg

Indeed we did Robin 😉

I must say the Dapol Manor certainly addresses the need for a model of the class to modern standards which lifts it well above the old Bachmann version.

If it was not for the choice of two manufacturers producing a Manor I think we would be more than happy with the Dapol offering.

Unfortunately the Accurascale Model takes things to the next level in finesse. I have one on order and am very much looking forwards to them being released.

One thing the Dapol model does offer is probably a more financially accessible version for those who's budgets are stretched. I would imagine there may be further discounting of them in the less popular liveries.

For me the Dapol model captures the look of a Manor. The black cross head piston and driving wheel rims stand out though for improvement. Perhaps treating them with a silver and black Sharpie permanent marker would improve the appearance.

Also on the BR versions the smokebox numberplate looks a bit undernourished. Something a Pacific Models or Railtec version would sort out.

As I have previously mentioned I have the Accurascale version on order but something in me thinks with some small improvements to the appearance and weathering the Dapol version could certainly be lifted.

Tempted? I could be....

Certainly food for thought.

It would be good to see this Dapol version of 7814 running on ANTB by the way Robin 😉

Cheers,

Mark 

Edited by 46444
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

You'll have to make do with this Chris Nevard shot of 7814 courtesy of Kernow Models for that.

7814.jpgd.jpg.ebbb52454fbe250c5002dbe6bcf35a34.jpg

Thank god the boiler doesn't slope as much as the pre-production shots..

Edited by toboldlygo
text
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 04/08/2022 at 21:16, toboldlygo said:

Thank god the boiler doesn't slope as much as the pre-production shots..

There's an awful lot down to the angle of view (and camera lens?) but there is certainly something a bit adrift with back end of the boiler/safety valve casing/slope of the firebox cladding when checked against drawings,  but I ave yet to see an exactly level side elevation photo and that would be the best way to check if it is as adrift as it looks.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

There's an awful lot down to the angle of view (and camera lens?) but there is certainly something a bit adrift with back end of the boiler/safety valve casing/slope of the firebox cladding when checked against drawings,  but I ave yet to see an exactly level side elevation photo and that would be the best way to check if it is as adrift as it looks.

It is a very nice model, but I have to agree with you that there's something possibly  proportionally odd about it. I think that it was on this thread that I have said that it looks as though the taper of the boiler is too great, resulting in the rear end of the boiler cladding meeting up with the transition curve of the throat plate cladding too high up and resulting in a more hump backed appearance than the real thing. But like you say, the jury's out until a true side elevation picture is obtained and scale drawings checked against the model.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

But like you say, the jury's out until a true side elevation picture is obtained and scale drawings checked against the model.

Maybe the model railway press reviews will address this.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

8 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I expect that may well be the case, especially if someone has the necessary drawings to compare with the model.

I expect so too. They, (the model railway press) are better placed to perform an unbiased and informed critique than we individuals on a forum I feel, I certainly wouldn't wish to even vaguely deter anyone from producing a new model or customers from buying it. I remember when things like wire handrails came in on mass produced locos, some people said that they were too thick or too shiny, but we had them at last, after decades of moulded on items that the press berated. The makers listened and upped their game and we eventually arrived where we are now, with better RTR than most of the kits from 1982.

• Like 6
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
On 04/08/2022 at 16:59, 46444 said:

Indeed we did Robin 😉

I must say the Dapol Manor certainly addresses the need for a model of the class to modern standards which lifts it well above the old Bachmann version.

If it was not for the choice of two manufacturers producing a Manor I think we would be more than happy with the Dapol offering.

Unfortunately the Accurascale Model takes things to the next level in finesse. I have one on order and am very much looking forwards to them being released.

One thing the Dapol model does offer is probably a more financially accessible version for those who's budgets are stretched. I would imagine there may be further discounting of them in the less popular liveries.

For me the Dapol model captures the look of a Manor. The black cross head piston and driving wheel rims stand out though for improvement. Perhaps treating them with a silver and black Sharpie permanent marker would improve the appearance.

Also on the BR versions the smokebox numberplate looks a bit undernourished. Something a Pacific Models or Railtec version would sort out.

As I have previously mentioned I have the Accurascale version on order but something in me thinks with some small improvements to the appearance and weathering the Dapol version could certainly be lifted.

Tempted? I could be....

Well it looks like he's @46444 bitten the bullet and bought one so maybe he can review it on this thread complete with photos.😉

• Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, 46444 said:

Thanks Robin... 😊 

Here goes...

My 7827 arrived from Kernow Model Railway Centre today. Excellent service as ever.

I will write a blog entry shortly but after work this evening I sat on the deck with a cold Hook Norton (Manor) Ironstone Lager.

Armed with a black and silver Sharpie marker pen I came up with this.

To The Manor Born...

To The Manor Born...

To The Manor Born...

There is something about the under dog in the Dapol Manor which wants me to bring the best out in it. 

All I'll say is I do not think you will be disappointed with it. There's a warm familiarity about it having owned various Bachmann versions in the past. 

The snaps were taken facing west at sundown this evening with no photographic shenanigans.

To The Manor Born...

As Robin will vouch the 78xx Manor Class is a personal favourite of mine.

Having two wonderful models soon to be available is many a GWR/BR(WR) modellers dream come true.

Cheers,

Mark

Just blacken the buffers and you have a cracking model.

Glenn

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, mattingleycustom said:

Just blacken the buffers and you have a cracking model.

You're one step ahead of me Glenn...😉

Bottle of Birchwood Casey Gun Blue at the ready this evening for the buffers..

There may even be T-Cut and Kleer in the mix as well...

Cheers,

Mark 

Edited by 46444
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Bit of an up date Manor followers...

7827 Lydham Manor seen running light at Talledega in 1963. Captured by Jonty Jarvis...

Manor'isms

Steve at Railtec came up trumps with 3D printed numberplates, smokebox numberplate and 89A shedcode plate for 7827.

Manor'isms

Well recommended as a customer. 

Manor'isms

Hope Robin does not mind me posting these snaps on his ANTB thread? In the next few days I will write a blog entry.

The Dapol Manor is a lovely model  like I mentioned previously.

Cheers,

Mark 

Edited by 46444
  • Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, 46444 said:

Hope Robin does mind me posting these snaps on his ANTB thread? In the next few days I will write a blog entry.

The Dapol Manor is a lovely model and like I said previously.

Not at all Mark but with two Accurascale versions on order and a third in waiting if @Islesy comes up trumps with a future release, can I really justify another.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Not at all Mark but with two Accurascale versions on order and a third in waiting if @Islesy comes up trumps with a future release, can I really justify another.

But I can Robin but another Accurascale…..or two.And this is no way to downgrade or criticise the Dapol model which I am sure is quite excellent as is demonstrated here by Mark…..for which as is said more power to his elbow..Regards.Ian.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
On 14/08/2022 at 19:04, 46444 said:

In the next few days I will write a blog entry.

The Dapol Manor is a lovely model  like I mentioned previously.

The suspense is killing me/us @46444

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

The suspense is killing me/us @46444

It's running late I'm afraid..😉

Stuck on the climb up to Marley Head Tunnel and waiting assistance from Newton...

Then again work gets in the way. This afternoon I took close up snaps so here's a taster...

To the Manor Born...

7827 does in deed scrub up nicely...😎

Perhaps a Dapol BR black 7823 Hook Norton Manor would be suitable Robin. I do believe it was allocated to Laira...

More tomorrow on the blog...

Watch this space for an announcement....😊

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1