A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

A horsebox should (where possible) be shunted to the head of the train, just behind the engine.  No fine horses traveled in cattle wagons ( apart from during WW1) and cattle certainly didn't travel in horseboxes.   There is a thread about this somewhere on the Prototype forum I think. 

Outstanding modelling never the less.

You're probably correct here.There was a recent thread here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/50513-horsebox-useage/

and here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/42986-horse-boxes/

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Embankments certainly are class Rob; very good colour and texture. Love the shots too.

Your layout would have looked very 'comfortable' at York today having seen quite  a few of what were on show when I was being the 'tea boy'.

Quack. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I like the way those shots are posed, Rob.  From this angle you'd expect the OO compromise to look horrible, but it's not that bad really. One reason being that your ballasting and colouring is nicely done, I think.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Typical RMweb thread that has to have a compulsory comment containing toilet and its contents. :superstition: You don't get this on Peterborough North.......

If you can't beat them join them.This sign was spotted in South Devon and a brownie point is given for its location. ;)

I'll give a clue to its whereabouts by saying you would find it near to 'Beeching Halt' in the Torbay area. ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Robin, I not caught your thread before. I've scanned through this evening and will be coming back for a more thorough read through soon. I Like what I've seen so far :good:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Robin, I not caught your thread before. I've scanned through this evening and will be coming back for a more thorough read through soon. I Like what I've seen so far :good:

Thanks Nick.There seems to be a plethora of Western layouts curently on RMweb at the moment.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, you can't keep a good railway down!

I quite agree young man and with the lighter nights now I'm able to take up more loco requests. ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I quite agree young man and with the lighter nights now I'm able to take up more loco requests. ;)

I was going to ask for a Great Western Hall on the 7pm departure from Brent to Plymouth, but as it's a Manchester train, I guess it is being hauled tonight by a Black 5 or something similar..... (1935 Summer timetable....)

In which case, could you photograph the 3:30pm ex-Paddingtomn when it thunders through around 19:41 en-route to Penzance..... I see the next stopping service departs at 20:11 possibly with a Hall, ex-Newton Abbott, bound for Plymouth !

How about that little lot for a Challenge! (Ignoring the fact the Summer timetable did not start until July 8th )

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I was going to ask for a Great Western Hall on the 7pm departure from Brent to Plymouth, but as it's a Manchester train, I guess it is being hauled tonight by a Black 5 or something similar..... (1935 Summer timetable....)

In which case, could you photograph the 3:30pm ex-Paddingtomn when it thunders through around 19:41 en-route to Penzance..... I see the next stopping service departs at 20:11 possibly with a Hall, ex-Newton Abbott, bound for Plymouth !

How about that little lot for a Challenge! (Ignoring the fact the Summer timetable did not start until July 8th )

I don't suppose you have the timetable for the summer of '47 instead. ;) Even though my Hall is in 30s livery.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't suppose you have the timetable for the summer of '47 instead. ;) Even though my Hall is in 30s livery.

Strangely YES! I do !!!!

The summer timetable in 1947 ran from June 16th through to October 5th (Not as good a copy as the 1935 one!

Sadly though the 15:30 service from paddington does not run this year, instead there is a 16:30 service to Plymouth, Fridays only ..... but of course in those days there was only the 12 hour clock - I wonder when we went 24hr?

I Digress..... The 7:15 service from Newton Abbott is running - all stations to Plymouth .... departing Brent at 7:48

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Wow, did '5s' actually venture west in 1935?

P

I was guessing - Sorry I know nothing about LMS workings - other than their locos were Black.... or Red!

Excellent.In that case thats the hymn sheet we will work to. ;)

It's only a Public timetable.... I wonder if Mike has a WTT ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Rob, I've just had a second look at your cattle train photos (page 3) in full size. The cows in the pen look pretty good, what make are they please? Impressed by all the cattle vans you have, are they all kit built?    

• RMweb Gold

Rob, I've just had a second look at your cattle train photos (page 3) in full size. The cows in the pen look pretty good, what make are they please? Impressed by all the cattle vans you have, are they all kit built?   

Cheers Mikkel.Deja Vu as its our friendly Dart Castings again here http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/dart/A20A.php   http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/dart/A20B.php

Not cheap but better than the old Merit ones I first had years back.The vans are just the latest Bachmann one with a weathering to disguise the too clean white roof.I built some Coopercraft kits but was never happy with them.Too light and the transfers never sat right on them.Theres a Jidenco version in that rake though.

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that, Dart wins again with the figures.

I agree that the Coopercraft cattle vans are very light as built. They need some decent wheels and some heavy metal "cow dung" to get them rolling well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I do like this layout and all these super photos that Rob is posting. I wish it was portable - I'd have it at Taunton like a shot!

Well I've got a Scorpion saw .........................       :sungum:

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

If I remember correctly the Black 5 or Jub/Pat would have come off the train at Bristol TM. There might even have been another loco change at N Abbot and often a 'pilot' would be attached there for the coming mountains.

Now then Rob, that just reminded me about double headers..............................

Quack

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Lovely Robin.

Is 3864 hauling the Bachmann Cattle vans as described further up?

What Dia. is 3796 hauling?

Lovely 'photos, very atmospheric.

Did we miss the 7:48pm Hall NA to PLY?   :locomotive: :-)

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 2