SECR Birdcage Coaches

Bill

I think that requirement only applies for the first 8 weeks that they are on sale.  So, should one pre-order or wait for the fire sale? The Hornby 2-BILs started at £129 but can now be had for as little as £59.

Judging from what happened with my E4, pre-orders would go out at the high price, without emails notifying customers of any price rises.

There might not be a big fire-sale, though.  For example, I haven't come across any significant reduction in the price of E4s yet, certainly not at Hattons.

Although I am not wildly happy about the price, the Birdcage Stock would still be a reasonable option for me, compared to the Kernow Gated Stock and the Hornby rebuilt ex-LSWR 58' coaches.  I was going to get both the Gated Stock and the Birdcage Stock, but am now considering getting the first option to become available, and forget the late-comers.

I cancelled my order for these coaches once the price jumped to GBP 60ea. Now that our currency has dropped against the pound also made it very expensive.

I was thinking of replacing the Bachmann Thompson coaches too, but they have been listed at just under GBP60, so will be content with what I have and save for some parts to finish a LNER gresley TPO.  I have the side and Net.

Model Railways Direct have 3 models of the E4 (2x BR and the LBSC) at GBP84.99, and plenty of them. A saving of GBP10.  I have the SR 473 model which pulled our Afternoon Cream tea Train on the Bluebell in 2011.  Paid full price for it.  Up from 76 to 94.  Ouch.

Mark in Oz

• Like 2

If the containers are going through Tianjin there might be a fire sale. Or further delays.  Unlikely as Bachmann is an Hong Kong LLC and production is supposedly in the Pearl river basin.

• RMweb Gold

If the containers are going through Tianjin there might be a fire sale. Or further delays.  Unlikely as Bachmann is an Hong Kong LLC and production is supposedly in the Pearl river basin.

A degree of sensitivity might have been considered before posting this.

• 4 weeks later...

Still no further progress on these according to the latest CC magazine. They're still in the drawing office.  :O

We have seen how tooling may be adapted from the outset (Kernow) to suit the various differences in appearance of a basic coach design (gate stock). With this in mind I wonder how easy it might be to catalogue an unmodified SECR design and then make use of this tooling to support a small extra choice of post-war IOW coaches. I am tempted to think that IOW stock might have slightly wider appeal than the SECR. 

There is a difference between the 60ft stock seemingly proposed by Bachmann, and the 54ft stock used on the Island, and that raises the question whether Bachmann made the better initial choice. Much as I admire Mr Wainwright's elegant designs and liveries, my pocket money would support an IOW choice, even in BR colours.

PB

We have seen how tooling may be adapted from the outset (Kernow) to suit the various differences in appearance of a basic coach design (gate stock). With this in mind I wonder how easy it might be to catalogue an unmodified SECR design and then make use of this tooling to support a small extra choice of post-war IOW coaches. I am tempted to think that IOW stock might have slightly wider appeal than the SECR. 

There is a difference between the 60ft stock seemingly proposed by Bachmann, and the 54ft stock used on the Island, and that raises the question whether Bachmann made the better initial choice. Much as I admire Mr Wainwright's elegant designs and liveries, my pocket money would support an IOW choice, even in BR colours.

PB

I struggle to understand how IOW stock might have more appeal than SE&CR stock? After all the SE&CR versions (assuming all liveries catered for) lasted from approx 1910 - 1960. Personally, as a man of kent the SE&CR stock is of intrinsic interest to me and many who live in one of the most densely populated areas of the country, unlike the IOW. 

The  IOW  stock  mentioned  is  ex  SECR  although  the  54'  long  type

IF  this  had  been  chosen  for  the  Bachmann  models,  IOW  versions  as  well  as  the  SECR,  SR   and  BR  mainland  liveried  ones  could  have  been  prodiuced  from  the  same  basic  mouldings  (Specific  body  moulding  required  for  the  IW  version  of  the  brakes).

However  the  larger  60'   variety  is  what  is  coming  hence  not  suitable  for  IOW  without  a  lot  of  Cut  &  Shut  work.

The  LBSC  IOW  carriages  are  well  covered  by  kits  but  little  is  available  for  the  SECR  ones.

With  the  imminent  arrival  of  RTR  02's  there  is  a  lot  of  interest  in  IOW  modelling  but  a  lack  of  correct  carriages.

Yes specific  IOW  only  stock  is  unlikely  to  be  viable for  the  general  market  but  could  be  a  winner  for  the  smaller  comission type  suppliers.

Pete

The  IOW  stock  mentioned  is  ex  SECR  although  the  54'  long  type

IF  this  had  been  chosen  for  the  Bachmann  models,  IOW  versions  as  well  as  the  SECR,  SR   and  BR  mainland  liveried  ones  could  have  been  prodiuced  from  the  same  basic  mouldings  (Specific  body  moulding  required  for  the  IW  version  of  the  brakes).

Pete

Not to mention Longmoor and the KESR.

Tony

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

So the Bachmann Times arrives, and these coaches are STILL in the Drawing Office. I make that at least a year stuck at the same stage.  Come on Bachmann, have you stapled the drawings to the desks or something? 

Maybe you should petition another manufacturer for these (and / or the IoW variants) as Bachmann do not appear to have a high priority for them.

Something to go with 02's, Dave?

• RMweb Gold
IWCR, on 09 Sept 2015 - 12:56, said:

Yes specific  IOW  only  stock  is  unlikely  to  be  viable for  the  general  market  but  could  be  a  winner  for  the  smaller  comission type  suppliers.

I think the IOW railways held on to their rural charm right until 1965. I believe they have a popularity among steam era modellers that is much greater than suggested by their modest scope of coverage on an island. Their necessarily self-contained system had a sort of redolence of what we may aspire to model - a few branches with modestly-sized trains and locos, all rather hand-me-down. This is unlike modelling railways on the mainland, where we "know" the network extends the length and breadth of Britain, and modern traction was never that far away, certainly by 1965. 

Sales of the Kernow IOW O2 may tell us something about just how much of a market there is.

• Like 2

Looking forward to these but it looks like they are stuck behind the  Mk2s & Thompsons in the pecking order at the moment.

I was in Arcadia recently and was say that I would like to see a version of the Longmoor train pack in OO but with these coaches instead.

I was in Arcadia recently and was say that I would like to see a version of the Longmoor train pack in OO but with these coaches instead.

Unfortunately the Longmoor coaches are 54 ft and the Bachmann models are the 60 ft version.

Having said that, it would be a reasonable compromise just like the N gauge set. This set has Sir Guy Williams which was withdrawn on 10th May 1965. However, although the BR suburban stock arrived before this date, they were not painted blue until at least mid 1967. If Bachmann had stuck with maroon, it would have been correct for the 1965 Open Day but possibly not as commercially attractive. 

Tony

• 1 month later...

Any sign of these yet? I shall leave my pre-order with Hattons, as even if I manage to build my Mallard/Blacksmith (50'/ 45') set before they appear, I certainly wouldn't get around to buying and building the Roxey 60' coaches or be able to paint them to the same finish as Bachmann will achieve - I just hope there's enough left in my bank account when I get back from the southern hemisphere!

Not only that but, I suspect, Bachmann will have missed a trick if, as seems likely, Hornby get in first with their rebuilt ex-LSWR stock since many who want Southern area panelled stock (even if incorrect in terms of era and area) will go for the red boxes and forsake the blue ones.

I'd lay a small bet on the birdcages never appearing on the RTR market before I shuffle off this mortal coil.  Hope I'm wrong, though.

Edited by olivegreen
  • Like 1

Which does tend to make the incipient froth and questions about when Bachmann will announce their '2016' range a little ,,,errr.. optimistic???

I have to admit, I've lost patience with Bachmann, yet I have a feeling they will still end up 'Manufacturer of the Year' 2015.

I feel Hornby have that 'Man.United'  thing going, they do well at every level, but everyone still hate us!

Grumpy from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 2

Which LBSCr atlantic do you mean ? The Bachmann one or the full size one being built at the Bluebell Railway ? With such slow progress on the Birdcages and Atlantic since they were announced nearly 3 years ago by Barwell, my money's on the Bluebell !

• Like 3