• RMweb Premium

I am having to build a lot of carflats for my Kensington Olympia layout. This has meant buying many Farish Mk1's at the best possible price just for the underframes and bogies. The Carflat topic can be found HERE.

For my second batch of carflats this has left me with several Mk1 BSK bodies in blue / grey livery.  A certain shop has these at just £11 each.

As the layout is based in 1980 the bodies are ideal so what to do with them?

After some thought it seemed that by using two BSK bodies and doing a cut and shunt job on the brakevan ends a BSO would not be too hard to produce.

Here is the progress so far....

gallery_681_2655_76259.jpg

The Mk1 BSO has 5 passenger bays and a small brakevan area but not just a shortened version of the BSK. There is also an additional window in the corridor opposite the toilet, i.e between the left-hand door and the first passenger bay.

Top is a Mk1 BSK dismantled with one cut down the hinge line of the centre passenger door.

Bottom are the constituent parts of the new right-hand end

gallery_681_2655_12294.jpg

At the top are the parts for the opposite side. The BSK has now had it's brake van area removed and the BSO parts loose fitted to check the accuracy.

gallery_681_2655_80252.jpg

The parts now glued in place, the arrows show where the joints are. The joints are a better fit than the picture shows but will need a little sanding and filler to hide them before painting. The additional window opposite the toilet has been cut out and a glazing unit test fitted.

Just spotted the 2nd arrow shouldn't be there! DOH! The fifth seating bay saloon door, inward opening door and single window are all one part.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well after a while with no progress due to work here are the latest images of the BSK to BSO conversion.

The interior roughly assembled to check dimensions and fit. 

Interior

The body shell assembled and lightly rubbed down, a small amount of filler was required.

GF Mk1 BSO Uc3

And finally two images of the assembled and partly painted vehicle, one of each side.

GF Mk1 BSO corridor side

GF Mk1 BSO assembled

gallery_681_2655_376921.jpg

It looks very rough blown up this big!!!!

Running number not yet removed................It will be M9225

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi , Thanks for this - prompted me to follow suit but I have a BCK and BSK, looks like I can graft the middle parts of BSO into BCK  so only two cuts - one join down the side of a window and the other mid way between two "smaller" windows in the van area.  If this gets beyond the ponder stage I will post some pics here - if ok. Spare chassis to go under Caroline.

Robert  

Hi , Thanks for this - prompted me to follow suit but I have a BCK and BSK, looks like I can graft the middle parts of BSO into BCK  so only two cuts

The roofs are slightly different too, as in the BCK the toilet is next to the Guards area, whilst in the BSO it as the other end

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Nice work there Andy

Sorry to pick this up ages after the event but I'm looking to do a few conversions myself: an RB from the RU for example.

Where did you source the interior from? It's the open second class bit that I'm particularly interested in as Farish have yet to do a blue/grey TSO.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

The interior was from a TSO plus the brakevan area reused from the BSK. Farish have done loads of Blue Grey TSOs the current one is a C suffix, fourth issue. I think my interior probably came from a SR green one as the chassis would have been used for a Carflat conversion.

There are some pictures of the finished coach on my Olympia layout thread here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75679-kensington-olympia-in-n-scale/?p=1742756

Edited by acg5324

• RMweb Premium

The interior was from a TSO plus the brakevan area reused from the BSK. Farish have done loads of Blue Grey TSOs the current one is a C suffix, fourth issue. I think my interior probably came from a SR green one as the chassis would have been used for a Carflat conversion.

There are some pictures of the finished coach on my Olympia layout thread here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75679-kensington-olympia-in-n-scale/?p=1742756

Thanks Andy. I couldn't find the TSOs because they're listed as SOs on many websites. A couple are on the way now. I was very interested to see the BSO, I've done a few cut and shut conversions in 4mm scale but not in 2mm so it was encouraging to see that someone had given it a go.

I'll have to dig the mark 1 coaches book it and work out how best to get the various catering vehicles I would like to do, starting with an RB and an RBK.

Anyway, thanks for the inspiration and the prompt response :-)

Jim

• RMweb Premium

I think Bachmann / Farishs logic with the RU was that they could use liveries earlier than B/G whereas the RBRs were not all the same and I think could only be produced accurately in B/G and Executive.

I've just renumbered and lettered my RU as an RBR. I'd still prefer it if they modelled an RBR.

I think Bachmann / Farishs logic with the RU was that they could use liveries earlier than B/G whereas the RBRs were not all the same and I think could only be produced accurately in B/G and Executive.

I've just renumbered and lettered my RU as an RBR. I'd still prefer it if they modelled an RBR.

Faulty logic. An RU converted to RBR has a different window arrangement (the change was made earlier with the conversion to RBs - s for small buffet counter). An RB converted to RBR has unaltered windows so an RB is a better choice when it comes to liveries other than that I have a feeling no RB was ever in WR choc/cream. The newest livery appropriate for an RU is blue/grey and even then (without looking it up) that would only be applicable up to the mid-'70s.

• RMweb Premium

Faulty logic. An RU converted to RBR has a different window arrangement (the change was made earlier with the conversion to RBs - s for small buffet counter). An RB converted to RBR has unaltered windows so an RB is a better choice when it comes to liveries other than that I have a feeling no RB was ever in WR choc/cream. The newest livery appropriate for an RU is blue/grey and even then (without looking it up) that would only be applicable up to the mid-'70s.

I was close....:)

• Like 1

• 5 years later...