What have you done with your Keyser kit

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/03/2021 at 19:03, russell price said:

Whilst the loco isnt Keyser i believe the motor to be an early Keyser unit, did i see earlier in the posts an advert showing this motor predating the cast loco kits?? I have a 1959 1400 autotank that has the earliest kit motor with the pole pieces screwed on an a badly bent whitemetal chassis. Does anyone have a spare whitemetal chassis, I have a few Locos with Gearboxes and Mashima motors but im still happy to run old school stuff , I could just put a new Comet chassis under it i suppose.  Having built a few Ks kits when they were in production they were all buildable and would work, my theory on some of the horrors surfacing on ebay giving Ks a worse name than ever is i suspect there are a number of reject/ returned kits etc as defective now coming onto the market

ive been caught with new ebay kits that have issues and do just wonder, preferring to buy badly built but complete ones nowadays/

IMG_0091.JPG

IMG_0092.JPG

Nice loco. Incidentally that's not a K's motor it's an old Zenith. I recently put one in an old Tri-ang Polly. Runs nice and smooth. Seven pole. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Purchased recently at a model show box of old kits, took quite a like to a Kitley 0-6-0, someone's excellent build of a tender, hand lined with a part built body.

The boiler was particularly bad 4-5 attempts to get it straight and fit

20220725_232248.jpg.a6b2156a8e3f5b4d16e31bd770619bf9.jpg

Seems the old glue fell to bits, getting there

• Like 13

12 hours ago, 46256 said:

Some more of my Ks locomotives all with comet chassis high level motors etc

21CA307D-5057-41F2-A0C5-9119DEBE8926.jpeg

DF219BDE-EE8C-4541-8078-E22A9518C0DB.jpeg

1E4D93D1-E827-4535-A48E-BFEBC7702D5B.jpeg

They are looking very good and your updates bring the kits into the modern era of kits

For some reason some just look down on K's kits, mainly due to comparing them to what we expect these days, comparing them with the likes of Southeastern Finecast/DJH kits rather than what was about when they were designed Wills and GEM (original versions). A K's kit was about the same price as a Wills/GEM body kit

For me in the late 60's I just could not afford a Wills kit and either the RTR donor chassis, or the special chassis with the whitemetal chassis Romford wheels and Bulldog motors.

My first kit was a Dean Goods, which at was very exotic when compared with Hornby Dublo or Triang locos and more to the point an affordable complete kit (early kits even came with transfers !!) needing glue and paint.

These K's kits can often be easily updated with a new set of wheels, even better when a modern gearbox and motor is added (K's motors could be 60 years old!!!) when adding an etched chassis and a couple of cheap Mainly Trains etches (Loco window guards and lamp irons) you have a loco approaching the quality of modern kits.

In fact many of the K's loco kits can be bought very reasonably second hand, many already being re-wheeled which in itself saves £50 +, With new kits starting in the region of £150 when wheels motor and gears are bought, there is a massive saving to be made with some well selected second hand kits or kit built locos

An example is I bought a very well made (with added detail) and painted K's LNER J50, It has an 00 gauge milled brass chassis with Romford wheels, it cost £31.50 + a bit for postage. I want it in EM gauge so I bought one of Crispy Bacons (of this parish) etched chassis £12.50, I can use the wheels with new EM axles (£4.50) and Have a choice of motors and gearboxes in my stash.

The cost of the new chassis and EM axles will be off set by selling the Milled Brass chassis, Romford gears and X03 motor. From experience these should yield at least £20

But I will have a very heavy and powerful Model far better than anything the RTR market has to offer, mainly due to the builders skills in both building and painting the model, hopefully aided by a modern chassis, motor and gearbox

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Thanks Hayfield , I think there is nothing better than taking an old kit and improving it. Lastly my Ks Johnson Single. It was bought ready assembled and beautifully painted and lined as you can see. A failed attempt had been made to motorise it with a tender unit. This was scrapped, I then tried an Airfix dean goods tender drive, to no avail. Finally I scratch built a loco chassis from brass. Alan Gibson drivers. Pick ups on the rear bogie as well as pick ups on the tender wheels now sitting on a comet inside frame tender chassis. I’m pleased to say it’s a good runner.

90E43E48-5272-4DFE-801E-4BC6E9572B96.jpeg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Coach bogie said:

I came across this at a show in Australia and it was all there. They are still about.

Mike Wiltshire

K.s1363.jpg.3aaed31d407d683cac6b7c2e5c2ac707.jpg

You don't say how much it cost, but a complete kit is well worth buying

Stick one of these under the body

https://www.cspmodels.com/abante/index.php?rt=product/product&manufacturer_id=21&product_id=255

991.jpeg.dd6cf68008c8ec6d4ad24bf3c9612a98.jpeg

The etched chassis I have bought for mine. The chassis is designed for an etched brass kit so its a tad overlong so will need shortening a bit at both ends, but given its replacing a bit of brass bar and the thickness of the whitemetal buffer beans I feel its less of a compromise. Plus you have brake and other details

992.jpeg.330155c2875e252eeb7990e611125106.jpeg

The spacer fret, the main benefit is the brass crosshead, motion and slide bars, which replaces the over thick and weak whitemetal castings. As you can see £21 is not expensive

3 hours ago, hayfield said:

They are looking very good and your updates bring the kits into the modern era of kits

For some reason some just look down on K's kits, mainly due to comparing them to what we expect these days, comparing them with the likes of Southeastern Finecast/DJH kits rather than what was about when they were designed Wills and GEM (original versions). A K's kit was about the same price as a Wills/GEM body kit

For me in the late 60's I just could not afford a Wills kit and either the RTR donor chassis, or the special chassis with the whitemetal chassis Romford wheels and Bulldog motors.

My first kit was a Dean Goods, which at was very exotic when compared with Hornby Dublo or Triang locos and more to the point an affordable complete kit (early kits even came with transfers !!) needing glue and paint.

These K's kits can often be easily updated with a new set of wheels, even better when a modern gearbox and motor is added (K's motors could be 60 years old!!!) when adding an etched chassis and a couple of cheap Mainly Trains etches (Loco window guards and lamp irons) you have a loco approaching the quality of modern kits.

In fact many of the K's loco kits can be bought very reasonably second hand, many already being re-wheeled which in itself saves £50 +, With new kits starting in the region of £150 when wheels motor and gears are bought, there is a massive saving to be made with some well selected second hand kits or kit built locos

An example is I bought a very well made (with added detail) and painted K's LNER J50, It has an 00 gauge milled brass chassis with Romford wheels, it cost £31.50 + a bit for postage. I want it in EM gauge so I bought one of Crispy Bacons (of this parish) etched chassis £12.50, I can use the wheels with new EM axles (£4.50) and Have a choice of motors and gearboxes in my stash.

The cost of the new chassis and EM axles will be off set by selling the Milled Brass chassis, Romford gears and X03 motor. From experience these should yield at least £20

But I will have a very heavy and powerful Model far better than anything the RTR market has to offer, mainly due to the builders skills in both building and painting the model, hopefully aided by a modern chassis, motor and gearbox

993.jpeg.cb17ee72ebba296f1908fb3dd0b97e36.jpeg

A nicely finished K's model, unknown builder but super detailed, it may not be quite up to the DJH model but its finished and a fraction of the price

990.jpeg.4d0c5b8ff946082589a3214db207274d.jpeg

Crispy Bacons etched chassis for the Lima model, its 2mm longer than the K's model accepts, but then the model was designed to fit the Hornby Dublo R1 chassis. 

• Like 5

The later ones came with transfers as well, a small sheet made by PC models ISTR. All the ones I bought at the time which were brand new 1980s versions in silver/grey boxes, bought from Hattons when they still sold loco kits, had them. 14XX, Dean Goods, Grange, 28XX, Black Five, etc. 

It's only recently that I've got ancient ones in orange and red boxes. All bargains as they are mostly types that are readily available RTR and often with bits missing. Usually the things I don't really want anyway such as the wheels and motor.

One of the later kits I've got, the Taff Vale 0-4-0ST even has etched brass numberplates and cab. Not one I was after but it came up in Hattons recently so fell in the basket. Might have a look at doing it as an industrial or contractors locomotive as it's a Hudswell Clarke and quite similar to Lord Mayor.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/hudswell-clarke-works-no-402-lord-mayor-0-4-0st/

Just got to build them all now.....

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

The later ones came with transfers as well, a small sheet made by PC models ISTR. All the ones I bought at the time which were brand new 1980s versions in silver/grey boxes, bought from Hattons when they still sold loco kits, had them. 14XX, Dean Goods, Grange, 28XX, Black Five, etc. 

It's only recently that I've got ancient ones in orange and red boxes. All bargains as they are mostly types that are readily available RTR and often with bits missing. Usually the things I don't really want anyway such as the wheels and motor.

One of the later kits I've got, the Taff Vale 0-4-0ST even has etched brass numberplates and cab. Not one I was after but it came up in Hattons recently so fell in the basket. Might have a look at doing it as an industrial or contractors locomotive as it's a Hudswell Clarke and quite similar to Lord Mayor.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/hudswell-clarke-works-no-402-lord-mayor-0-4-0st/

Just got to build them all now.....

Jason

Jason

A very interesting reply, I got one missing its chassis and cab, I obtained the Ambis chassis (very reasonably priced) as stated by Barclay and also obtained a cab etch from a similar loco which needs modifying.

The wheels and motor must be all of forty years old, the only thing I have still got that's that old is my Black & Decker electric drill, so somethings never last that long anyway

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Ambis are a fairly new one to me. I had thought about using the Gibson chassis.

At least their catalogue seems recent (April 2022) so I'll definitely bear it in mind. Some interesting Industrial nameplates listed too.

But at the moment I'm undecided what to eventually do with it. I have got the Model Railway News article on it, but it's a bit early for me as a GWR loco as I'm mostly BR era. Which is why I was thinking about the industrial version.

Article reproduced here.

https://www.colinbinnie.com/taff-vale.html

I haven't even got the kit yet as it's still in my trunk! But it was still in the shrink wrap and was a decent enough price to take the risk.

Jason

1 hour ago, SR71 said:

@46256 You have some really lovely models there. Now please move them away from the edge of that board. I'm getting nervous and checking my sleeves every time I open this thread currently.

SR 71 you know me too well !

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hayfield said:

You don't say how much it cost, but a complete kit is well worth buying

It was $60, about £35. He still had it when I left. No use to me apart from running light engine, through Westbury on its' way to Weymouth. ( that is the excuse for running Fox Walker 1331)

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

have any of you got a set of instructions for the 8F

If you can wait until this evening, I have the Nu-Cast boxing of the 8F kit in the loft I think is complete with instructions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1