Railroads in a Giant Landscape

trisonic

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Wendell1976 said:

Here's a picture of a Amtrak train in Coal Creek, Colorado. The westbound California Zephyr is climbing up Blue Mountain with the Downtown Denver skyline in the background. As the crow flies, it is about 20 miles(32 kilometers) between the train and Downtown Denver.

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/784259/

Wendell

Idaho, USA 

On our last visit across the pond in 2019 we took the Zephyr from Denver to Salt Lake City for the NMRA Convention. Its a great ride.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

On our last visit across the pond in 2019 we took the Zephyr from Denver to Salt Lake City for the NMRA Convention. Its a great ride.

I really want to ride on the CZ between Salt Lake City and Denver one of these days. I have driven in the Glenwood Canyon along the Interstate 70(I-70) freeway so many times over the years as a professional truck driver, but I would like to traverse the Glenwood Canyon from a train one day. I live almost 200 miles(320 kilometers) northwest of Salt Lake City.

Wendell

Idaho, USA 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 25/02/2022 at 06:37, Wendell1976 said:

I really want to ride on the CZ between Salt Lake City and Denver one of these days. I have driven in the Glenwood Canyon along the Interstate 70(I-70) freeway so many times over the years as a professional truck driver, but I would like to traverse the Glenwood Canyon from a train one day. I live almost 200 miles(320 kilometers) northwest of Salt Lake City.

Wendell

Idaho, USA 

That was our third trip along that stretch.  I have done the complete trip form Chicago to Oakland just once and that was back in 1989. One day we will get off at Glenwood Springs for a night there as it looks good.

The trip West of Denver to the coast is one of the best trips on Amtrak.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's a couple of pictures of a train crossing the Colorado River near Topock, Arizona. In the first picture, a BNSF Railway train is heading westbound towards Barstow, California in 2017. In the second picture, a Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway train is heading eastbound towards Kingman, Arizona in 1996. Topock is across the Colorado River from Needles, California along the Interstate 40(I-40) freeway. Topock is about 270 road-miles(432 road-kilometers) northeast of Los Angeles and about 220 road-miles(352 road-kilometers) southwest of Grand Canyon National Park via Williams, Arizona.

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/625975/

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/415372/

Wendell

Idaho, USA 

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's a picture of a Brightline high-speed rail train in Downtown Miami. The train had just left the downtown station and heading to West Palm Beach, Florida. Brightline is the only privately owned and operated inter-city passenger railroad in the United States. In 2023, Brightline will extend service from West Palm Beach to Orlando. Also in 2023, Brightline will start construction on a new high-speed rail route from the Greater Los Angeles area to Las Vegas, Nevada called "Brightline West." One segment of the Brightline West route will go to suburban Palmdale, California and the other segment will go to suburban Rancho Cucamonga, California. Revenue service on the new Brightline West route will begin in 2026.

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/806601/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brightline_West

Wendell

Idaho, USA 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

16 hours ago, Wendell1976 said:

Brightline is the only privately owned and operated inter-city passenger railroad in the United States. In 2023, Brightline will extend service from West Palm Beach to Orlando.

It is, though that is a bit misleading.

Brightline appears to be partially a real estate play, but also relies on government funding to exist - whether it be the government interest-free bonds or other benefits (like payments to allow a commuter rail service to use their infrastructure.

16 hours ago, Wendell1976 said:

Also in 2023, Brightline will start construction on a new high-speed rail route from the Greater Los Angeles area to Las Vegas, Nevada called "Brightline West."

Maybe.

The Nevada-LA service - under previous ownership - was supposed to start construction around a decade ago so we will see if it actually happens this time.  Potential recession being predicted for next year might delay things again.

But Brightline West is also dependent on government support, whether bonds or a very affordable lease agreement for the right of way.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 11/07/2022 at 16:29, mdvle said:

Maybe.

The Nevada-LA service - under previous ownership - was supposed to start construction around a decade ago so we will see if it actually happens this time.  Potential recession being predicted for next year might delay things again.

But Brightline West is also dependent on government support, whether bonds or a very affordable lease agreement for the right of way.

I don't see this high-speed rail plan as a "maybe." Despite the bad economy, this project will be built promptly. The States of California and Nevada are helping with the funding of this project along with the U.S. federal government. Brightline West will cost a lot cheaper than the California High Speed Rail system because it is a much shorter route. Plus, Brightline West will be a good alternative versus driving in heavy traffic on the Mojave Freeway(Interstate 15, I-15, or "The 15") northbound on a Friday evening or southbound on a Sunday evening.

Wendell

Idaho, USA 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Bit different to the usual US video with some stunning ‘modelling view’ inspiration

9 hours ago, branchie said:

Thanks for sharing the video.

Wasn't sure, in some parts, if it was a model or real life. 

Indeed - I’ve seen some videos of amazing American Z scale layouts which achieve just this: long trains in a giant landscape, Keith.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a couple of pictures of a train crossing the Holcomb Creek Trestle near Helvetia, Oregon. In the first picture, the former Burlington Northern crossing the trestle in 1994. In the second picture, it's the modern-day Portland & Western Railroad in 2017. The Holcomb Creek Trestle is the longest wooden trestle still in use by a railroad in the United States. Helvetia is a suburb of Portland.

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/606999/

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/604074/

Wendell

Idaho, USA 

• Like 5