Phoenix Precision Paints

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Following Royal Mail's new T & C's paints can't be posted by them.Courier service now but pricey.Don't know of many model shops who sell the paints so lets see what happens here.

http://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/news/

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151413075663207&set=a.371681018206.157212.176420418206&type=1&theater

Following Royal Mail's new T & C's paints can't be posted by them.Courier service now but pricey.Don't know of many model shops who sell the paints....

I've only ever seen some in Howes (Kidlington) and the odd tin or two at K.S. Models (Stevenage).

Perhaps PPP's difficulty stems from their name. If they were called Precision Self Adhesive Coverings the Royal Mail might not have any idea of what they were posting.

I've received Butanone through the post from Eileens Emporium and Humbrol enamel from Squires, monikers that give's no clue as to what they sell/ship.

Conversations at S4N  exposed other oddities from the RM's new T&Cs/rates. Two LRM loco kits packed one atop the other (the sensible way to package them) incurs twice the postage than if they are packed side by side, although the weight is the same.

C&L rail is more expensive to send in one meter lengths than in 50cm lengths "because most of the vans aren't big enough for 1M packets". 

What next?

Edited by LNWRmodeller
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It is all well and good posting items that are prohibited but, if ever there was a leakage, the company who delivered the item face a considerable fine. Fox transfers have started to use a courier service who don't have such restrictions but that service does cost more. If you have a large order for paint products it is not too bad. Maybe friends could get together to make up an order to level out the postage costs. £7.50 does sound a lot if you only want one tin of paint - but if you have to travel miles to a Model Shop or pay to to get in to an exhibition then it may well be worth the spending.

This sort of thing does not help any overseas modeller. The rules I think were made up for bulk quanties, litre cans upwards, which do have lids popping off. Not piddly little 14ml cans that are often distorted removing the lids. I will be needing some paint soon, not sure what I will be doing, I cant club together with friends for a bigger delivery, I think I may be the only one in Brazil modelling British out line.

Guest oldlugger

What about Ebay sellers? Still cheap postage prices:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=&_osacat=479&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=phoenix+paints&_sacat=479&_from=R40

Also my former local model shop in west Wales, Old Barn Hobbies, Aberaeron, sells the range. I think the owner Martin might do mail order if you phoned him.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by oldlugger

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I notice that Phoenix Paints prices are due to rise on 1st Feb (via their website). A rise of nearly 10% for the 14mL tins it seems.

I suspect I'll take the opportunity to stock up this week

I have no association with them etc etc. Just passing on what I saw.

Cheers

Rob

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Can anyone find the proper Precision Paints website? I find it a bit hit and miss relying on exhibition purchases--I couldn't find Frame Dirt at Peterborough on Saturday. OK I'll have to pay courier's charges but surely they're not too bad.

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone find the proper Precision Paints website? I find it a bit hit and miss relying on exhibition purchases--I couldn't find Frame Dirt at Peterborough on Saturday. OK I'll have to pay courier's charges but surely they're not too bad.

It's www.phoenix-paints.co.uk. Looks like it's stuck in mobile mode though; it's pretty awful to browse currently (wasn't like this earlier in the year). They seem to know, as there's a banner acknowledging problems.

You'll be stung getting enamels shipped by post these days. Royal Mail won't touch them I believe. Not too bad though if you're filling a basket.

Cheers

Rob

• RMweb Premium

I tried getting on their website earlier (which to be honest isn't the best designed site I have ever encountered, there are worse though!) and it was basically knackered.

Their last news update was the price rice announcement back in January which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence though.

• RMweb Premium

Communications are not not great but support is very good. Was sent small tins but charged for big ones.

Mentioned this to them and they shipped the correct ones out.

Will try to get hold of them at Warley and see if they want the small ones back.

Been using the paints since I was a teenager and they were still based in Churchdown.

Guest eddie reffin

Tried to order from them a wee while back but their website wouldn't let me use my postcode (Inverness) as it wasn't one that would get delivered to. Emailed them to find out what could be done about this but it took almost two weeks to reply. I replied back my requirements and am still waiting for a reply almost two months later. Not great service at all. Did try and phone on three separate occasions but no answer each time. Have given up hope of getting a response now. Not impressed at all.

Tried to order from them a wee while back but their website wouldn't let me use my postcode (Inverness) as it wasn't one that would get delivered to. Emailed them to find out what could be done about this but it took almost two weeks to reply. I replied back my requirements and am still waiting for a reply almost two months later. Not great service at all. Did try and phone on three separate occasions but no answer each time. Have given up hope of getting a response now. Not impressed at all.

Strange, whilst I have not tried to contact them for a few years, they always are very helpful at shows and even allowed my daughter to pick up some items for me

It may be due to problems with their website, it that is playing up you can bet the email is as well, every now and then my email decides items are spam, so I have now to get into the habit of looking at the spam folder and deleting or moving as appropriate. As this is a small business I would guess if the person who understands the email/web side of the business is off work then problems may occur. I would try again

Edited by hayfield

Hi Eddie

I tried to order from Phoenix but, being in the Highlands, delivery costs were extortionate!  Just waited until I visited the Perth show.

Not sure what the problem is with these couriers as just ordered some transfers plus two tinlets of phoenix paint from Fox and they called to tell me that delivery would be £30!!!!! Absolute nonsense so obviously cancelled and will get my mate in Montrose to order them from me.

Best regards

John

Not sure what the problem is with these couriers as just ordered some transfers plus two tinlets of phoenix paint from Fox and they called to tell me that delivery would be £30!!!!! Absolute nonsense so obviously cancelled and will get my mate in Montrose to order them from me.

Simple, the trucks that deliver to the distribution depots can't reach Inverness within a single driver's hours. So the couriers can't offer a 24 hour delivery. This together with the lack of traffic to the Highlands means that their business model completely fails.

Simple, the trucks that deliver to the distribution depots can't reach Inverness within a single driver's hours. So the couriers can't offer a 24 hour delivery. This together with the lack of traffic to the Highlands means that their business model completely fails.

Don't they offer a slower option?