Phoenix Precision Paints

gwrrob

The standard of the rolling on the boiler of the J37 kit I got from them certainly suggests not... Straight in the bin and roll my own. 

I wonder if they have actually manufactured any 4mm DMR kits or just have sold the stock they bought (the J37 is currently listed as out of stock).

It is not uncommon for new owners of kit ranges to have difficulty in getting things up and running with only a reasonable delay. Look at Brassmasters and the Finney 4mm range. It has taken them some time to get the Finney kits into production and they have rather more experience than PPP in that area.

I wonder if they have actually manufactured any 4mm DMR kits or just have sold the stock they bought (the J37 is currently listed as out of stock).....

From the little I've seen on the stand at shows, it just looks like old stock from the takeover. Once that's gone...... who knows?

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if they have actually manufactured any 4mm DMR kits or just have sold the stock they bought (the J37 is currently listed as out of stock).

The standard of the rolling on the boiler of the J37 kit I got from them certainly suggests not... Straight in the bin and roll my own. 

If you can get hold of them on the phone, and don't mind not receiving a chimney or snifting valve because they're "lost", and don't mind not receiving a s.box door (for no given reason), and you can put up with 6 weeks of excuses, you might get one... And you might get a round boiler. (As said, I didn't.) To add insult to injury, the instructions, the only thing allegedly preventing the kits from going on sale all summer, are riddled with KS1 errors. 

.....It is not uncommon for new owners of kit ranges to have difficulty in getting things up and running with only a reasonable delay.....

I'm getting the impression of a much deeper malaise than simply "difficulty in getting things up and running", and I'm probably not the only one.

I'm getting the impression of a much deeper malaise than simply "difficulty in getting things up and running", and I'm probably not the only one.

Ivan,

there is no doubt that there are several producers who have a reputation for being a "black hole" when they absorb other product ranges.

I probably know some of the smaller suppliers in the 4mm "finescale" business better than most. Few, if any, set out to buy and then kill a product. Some take on more work than they can manage. Some don't exercise due diligence when taking over another business. Some have a misguided view of their own ability to run a business successfully. Whichever, the result is the same.

However, even the most sensible run into problems getting  products back on the market. Perhaps you could claim they didn't exercise sufficient due diligence - but sometimes the seller makes claims which are a trifle exaggerated.

ABS, Coopercraft and PPP have all - rightly - been criticised for poor supply, communications, etc.on this website. I would normally suggest that the answer is to contact them directly if you have a problem. Whether what is written here is read by them is unclear and may be going unnoticed. 

Jol

Daddyman's posting above suggests that this doesn't work.

Neither does complaining about it here, or so it seems.

Perhaps a face to face discussion at a show might be the answer. PPP will be at the Warley show so that is one opportunity.

• RMweb Premium

And ask them to sort out their website or give the person who is supposed to sort out their website a swift kick up the jacksi as they are losing my custom at the moment.

• RMweb Premium

either does complaining about it here, or so it seems.

Perhaps a face to face discussion at a show might be the answer. PPP will be at the Warley show so that is one opportunity.

My intention in posting on here is not to have any effect on PP; it's to make people aware of the issues in dealing with them.

I've had plenty of face-to-face discussions with them at several shows since York, and numerous phone calls (they also even answered one email), and it was precisely the experience of speaking to them  :banghead: that led me, first, to the conclusion that I should get as much of the kit as I could from them (no chimney, no snifting valve), and, later, to the idea that it's better to make my own boiler and source my own castings than deal with them. Do you think I took those decisions lightly?! 

By contrast, I had a slight delay with an LRM kit back in spring, but I never had any doubt that John would deliver - he even sent me the tender in advance, without my asking. 

Edited by Daddyman

You could also ask them about the Sharman Wheels part of the business whilst you quiz them on the paints .... and do let us know the response!

I know the answers to that, having tried -  as have others - over a number of years to get PPP to produce them again. Modelling the LNWR means you are stuck for certain wheel sizes that only SW produced. That also applies to several other Pre-gropu railways whose locos had large drivers. The reasons are several, in part down to Mike Sharman's original tooling and production processes (see "Sharmanworks" by Iain Raice, MRJ #5).

My intention in posting on here is not to have any effect on PP; it's to make people aware of the issues in dealing with them.

I've had plenty of face-to-face discussions with them at several shows since York, and numerous phone calls (they also even answered one email), and it was precisely the experience of speaking to them  :banghead: that led me, first, to the conclusion that I should get as much of the kit as I could from them (no chimney, no snifting valve), and, later, to the idea that it's better to make my own boiler and source my own castings than deal with them. Do you think I took those decisions lightly?! 

By contrast, I had a slight delay with an LRM kit back in spring, but I never had any doubt that John would deliver - he even sent me the tender in advance, without my asking. 

John Redrup (London Road Models) is very aware of the benefits of looking after his customers needs. He isn't alone, there are many other Small Suppliers like him. It is sad when just a few let the side down, as in some people's minds, it tarnishes the whole industry.

There are sometimes genuine reasons when a supplier has problems, which is the point I have been trying to make. Likewise the customer is more demanding, following the lead set by Society and it's relationship with retailers.

Having spent much of my working life in the company/customer interface I know that problems are best resolved by jaw jaw, not war war. However, it seems that PPP aren't willing to enter the dialogue, which will reflect on their business.

Jol

• 5 months later...

Are they still trading as they're not at Expo EM or Railex?

Is this yet another company that has disappeared into the proverbial black hole?

Hello Re6/6

You will be able to find Precision Paints on sale on the Roxey Mouldings stand, and on the Shawplan stand, at Railex on the 27th/28th May.

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

Are they still trading as they're not at Expo EM or Railex?

Is this yet another company that has disappeared into the proverbial black hole?

They are still trading and have taken over the Carrs range of products and I thing the C&L copperclad strips.

Owner was at the Show but may have had the clubs layout there

If not at Railex in 2 weeks, Dave Hamersley of Roxey Mouldings will be there selling the basic range of paints

Seem to remember another post saying the website was/is being updated, may even be up and running again

Here is a link to the company with their phone number

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/suppliers/40059-PhoenixPrecisionPaints